Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • If you died…..
  • franksinatra

Nothing worse than squabbling siblings staring each other down over supper

every meal time in my house…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ya but this lot age range between 44-53 😆

Odd that in both scenarios one very elderly relative is executor of both wills ..
    And seems to have formed their own opinions as to how the wills should be shared, despite strict instructions 😛

johndoh
    Free Member

My dad left a file of information and instructions in an obvious place in his filing cabinet. It even included details of songs he wanted playing at his funeral (Pink Floyd – I approved).

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Everything’s in our Blue Box. Might take some sorting out but It’s all in there!

myopic
    Free Member

Having just gone through this with my FiL dying suddenly and unexpectedly, I had no idea of the range and scope of things that had to be addressed.  Even things like MiL’s car had been bought in his name – ownership has to be formally transferred before she could sell it.  Also insurance documents in his name (house, car etc) are not valid until transferred to her.  There was a lot more to do besides the obvious stuff like banking, credit cards, pensions, shares etc, and all of this required locating the correct documents before working through the processes.  Wife and I both have wills but it made us think about the need to have all papers properly organised and accessible for whoever is going to have to sort it all out one day

PJM1974
    Free Member

Make sure to nominate a trusted friend to retrieve the pron stash within three hours of your demise, if you’re old skool about this type of thing. Probably best to leave them a copy of the key to your shed.

I have asked MrsPJM to ensure that she sells my bikes for what they’re actually worth…

thecaptain
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444;”> account details and passwords etc.</span>

Make a list and a will but note that anyone using passwords to access the bank accounts of a dead person is certainly breaching T&Cs and probably committing a criminal offence.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Having the prospect of winding up several relatives’ estates in the coming years this is something I’m not looking forward to, though mostly I expect there will be postal evidence (eg bank letters continuing to arrive which will give a basis for following up). Even my mostly internet-based stuff still generates a bit of a paper trail, I most recently got a letter about my vehicle insurance renewal for example. Mostly it’s the volume of stuff (inc several house clearances and sales) that I’m dreading.

NJA

As I do this for a job I can safely say that the more obvious it is what you own and where it is then the less your family will pay in terms of cash, stress and time wasted to sort it out.

A valid Will is always better than an intestacy, so make a Will.

We advise everyone to do a what I have and where it is form – have a copy of ours for free – https://www.dropbox.com/s/rsvasdanyxcuujl/6_What_I_Have_and_Where_It_Is.pdf?dl=0

OH and talk to your family so they all know and understand what you want to happen when you die. Funeral plans etc.

Marin
    Free Member

Yes. Up to date will. Brother and sister won’t squabble over wills as we have sadly proved several times in past couple of years.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Regarding the Cars section on your form NJA it might be worth adding finance details too. I know this could be covered under loans but would make sense to add PCP details for example.

I didn’t bother adding loan balance or any values that may change as the document would need updated every month.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘If you died…..’ is closed to new replies.