• This topic has 53 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by hols2.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • If you could take your bike back to the early 90’s,what would riders think of it
  • edlong
    Free Member

the luddites who thought cable disk brakes were better than hydros

Given how often my brakes seem to require major surgery or transplants I think that they might have been right. Does anyone still make decent quality cable disks or are they just for “look, it’s got disk brakes” BSOs?

If I could get decent cable pulled, I might be tempted!

simondbarnes

Does anyone still make decent quality cable disks

Avid BB7, TRP Spyke

ChrisL

I first found this forum in 2002. At that point there were still very vigorous debates about the efficiency of full suspension bikes compared to hardtails and quite a few people considered disc brakes not worth the extra weight over rim brakes. 29ers were for weirdos who’d decided that singlespeeding was no longer niche enough for them.

Even then a modern enduro bike like my Nukeproof Mega 290 would probably have been met with bemusement. The enormous amount of travel for its weight and things like the shock damping and brakes would have impressed but I reckon the main impression would be “what do you need all of that for except for downhill racing?”

Go back another 10 years to the early ’90s and I think the reaction would be similar, but magnified. The technology would impress but the purpose of it all would confuse most. “Won’t it just steamroll over everything?” “Couldn’t it be lighter with less travel and still be more than good enough for what we ride?” “Wouldn’t you rather have some manoeuvrability instead of all that stability?” “Where do you put your water bottle?”

On the other hand I reckon that if you took a rider from the early ’90s into the present and showed them the sort of trails that are the natural environment for enduro bikes and the speeds they can be ridden on such trails and they’d be much more impressed.

epicyclo

They’d say “Ooh, is that the new 1×1”

They’d not  notice anything amiss…

Northwind

I think if I took my Remedy back to the early 90s both it and I would be “disappeared” and taken to a Specialized black ops site in Nevada.

Meanwhile the reception of the fatbike would be pretty much exactly the same as it is today.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well with a fully rigid bike and 26″ wheels, geometry needed to be different.

nickc

I’d say they’d be amazed at the amount of grip modern tubless tyres can generate. that and fork travel. I remember a conversation with a guy in the Chilterns who thought my bike would be unridable with 100mm forks on them (manitou X verts ) back when 100mm was considered a DH fork

DiscJockey
    Free Member

They’d look at the fact a lot of us are still running the exact same Shimano SPD system and realise it’s not going to becoming obsolete, fit XTR pedals to all their bikes and never have to worry about pedals ever again 😉

DiscJockey
    Free Member

They’d look at the fact a lot of us are still running the exact same Shimano SPD system and realise it’s not going to become obsolete, fit XTR pedals to all their bikes and never have to worry about pedals ever again 😉

ampthill

One of my issues with these threads is that we always seem to end up with the narrow flat bar, long stem era. Oh and we had steep head angles as well

But in the 1980s we had wider riser bars, shortish stems and slacker head angles, compared to the 90s. Infact internal rim width was bang on trend for now and bikes were very solidly built

I even think people road quite technical trails in an arse back slow sort of way

I think in the 1990s there were attempts to link a seat quick release to a bar on the lever. With a spring behind the saddle to do the extending

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

‘That looks like a filing cabinet’

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ha! My two bikes hanging on the wall would spark the same age old comments as “they’re covered in dust, why aren’t you riding them”

Then I’d look blankly in the distance and smile passively and mutter “yeah, been there, done that”

Then go running.

garage-dweller

“Your bike is a bit of a girly colour and look at those disc brakes that cost less than a set of XT v brakes”

If we went to the mid 90s when I would have been riding at university I think my 140mm forked 456 would not look that out of place.

Shorter stems and wider riser bars with braces were coming in. The Sun Rhino rims were appearing with longer forks being used to slacken hardtail and FS bike head angles, the Orange Z1s were the big fork of choice or Manitou triple clamps.

hols2
    Free Member

Does anyone still make decent quality cable disks

I knew we could flush a luddite out of hiding if we just dangled the right bait.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘If you could take your bike back to the early 90’s,what would riders think of it’ is closed to new replies.