Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • If you could take a whole month to just go mountain biking
  • earl_brutus

where in the world would you go? and why would you go there? Money no object.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

West coast of the US to Canada maybe.
    NZ could easily swallow a month and a lot of fun

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Colorado. I used to guide there and would love to go back and just ride the trails ‘for myself’. So much variety, easy access and no filler. I wouldn’t stay just a month either.

ton

a grand bikepacking tour of the alps.

LMT
    Free Member

Pick the right month, and Scotland, loads of places I want to ride up there and I know I could go to Canada or New Zealand but just being able to hit the trails I want day to day is a winner.

Northwind

North America/Canada, mostly because of language tbh but also to make the most of the travel time.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Money no object then I think somewhere like Canada but Great Divide type riding rather than bike park stuff.

However, as money did figure we went on a Transit van/tent trip to Tignes, Val D’Isere, Les Deux Alpe and Alpe D’Huez in 2014 for just short of a month to bike/hike and generally play about in the mountains.

Wasn’t long enough.

chakaping
    Free Member

West coast of the US to Canada maybe.

This, just because I will probably not afford/bother to IRL.

Would happily spend a month in Italy though.

PS. I wouldn’t spend the month just MTBing, experience and my advancing years tell me I’d need at least one day a week off to recover.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Swindon.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

T’himalays, start in Lhasa and wiggle around Nepal, Butan into Northern India would love to have done Kashmir but I think it’d be impossible now 🙁

Dave
    Free Member

We had five weeks in New Zealand in January and struggled to fit in everywhere we wanted to ride. Northern California in October for 3 weeks should be more manageable…

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m going to say a grand tour of the Alps and perhaps down the Pyrenees if the weather is poor in the Alps.

I’ve been to PDS loads of times, and had a great time most of the time, I’ve been to les Arcs and had a great time, been the Whistler and had a great time but none of them would keep me happy for a month, the major resorts of the Alps all seem to be within a few hours drive of each other, so it wouldn’t be a major hassle to spend a few days in one place and if you start to get a bit used to it, pop down the road to the next resort. PDS, Verbier, Les Arcs, Chamonix, Saint-Luc, Samoëns all within a few hours of each other with a bit of planning.

goss
    Free Member

British Columbia for sure, but it had to include BC bike race.
    If europe, I would say the alps, Italy, roadtrip

weeksy

Peru.

fathomer

Never been biking abroad but if I had a month I think I’d agree with Northwind, West Coast of US/Canada, riding looks awesome and varied and the language thing makes life easier.

BillOddie

I’d 2nd what Goss says…

BC Roadtrip: North Shore, Squamish, Whistler, Golden, Van Island, Sunshine Coast and Gulf Islands.

Euro Roadtrip: Work your way down the Alps, then across to CH, Austria, Garda, Slovenia.

karnali
    Free Member

Nepal

Bez

Fly to Milan and do a wiggly bikepacking tour across to Bilbao for the boat home.

mjsmke

It would rain the whole time or I would get an injury stopping me from riding. Just like now.

nicks
    Free Member

Never been and no idea what the riding is like but i like the idea of bike packing across Norway ..

Also New zealand

jam-bo

iceland.

clodhopper
    Free Member

I’d like to go cycling (not specifically MTBing) round Spain, but on dirt roads and paths. Did a couple of weeks a couple of years ago, and have always wanted to go back. Set off, ride for a few hours, find a nice little village with a cafe, have lunch, explore the local area, maybe find a little stream or lake to have a quick dip, then ride back. Just perfect. 🙂

vmgscot

Colorado/Utah roadtrip

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 to Iceland. Oh, just happen to be going there soon 😆

After that it would be New Zealand.

chrismac

Thats easy. Back to Whistler, there are hundreds of miles of top trails to explore without setting foot in the excellent bike park. Anywhere that suggests a full susser with 150 -160 travel is their definition of an xc bike works for me 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

New Zealand – in part as it’s so far away its not the sort of place I would ordinarily visit

I could easily spend a month in the Alps between, France, Switzerland and Italy

jekkyl

Bakewell!

jameso

Nepal, no question. Mountain views, the people, the trails look amazing, just everything about it.

On that basis, second option would be Pamirs or Hindu Kush area. You’d need a month for any of them really. So many other places could be a more-likely 2 week trip.

robcolliver
    Free Member

Fernie

SirHC

BC or NZ for me.

hambl90
    Free Member

An end to end Road trip in the UK because there’s so much I haven’t rode in this country yet.

kilo

BC, Fernie has become one of my favourite towns ever.

DavidB
    Free Member

Swindon.

Done that, what next?

shortcut

Hmmm – I would like to say this is a tough one and to be fair it is.

My current wanna do’s are:

Iceland (but I am pretty convinced this is a week or 10 days of money no object so not really hitting the timescale.
    Canada including a pretty epic race – BC Bike Race is good but is also full for next year. Singletrack 6 would be a good option plus a bit of a road trip.
    New Zealand seems like a good idea – maybe taking in The Pioneer and a bit of a road trip across South and North Island.

brassneck

Tour Divide route, self supported taking pictures… I might even actually finish in a month, probably need two though to be honest.

dahedd
    Free Member

Possibly New Zealand. But given how amazing I found Iceland to be when I got married there there’s a very good chance I’d go back up there.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

New Zealand.

Having said that, having watched Ray Mears “Wild France, there looks to be a lot of amazing scenery, a lot closer to home..

roverpig

It depends which month really. Some of the places mentioned would be too hot for me to want to ride in their summer and others would be covered in snow for lots of the year.

irc

As it happens I’m going touring for 6 weeks in the USA next year. Current thoughts are San Francisco, over the Sierras, then quiet roads through Nevada, some back roads and a few dirt roads in Utah. To the Grand Canyon. A hike from the north to south rim if I can get a one night permit to camp in the bottom. Bit more dirt and mainly quiet roads through Arizona and back into California to finish in San Diego.

If money was no object I’d stay in more motels as it is I’d imagine 6 nights a week camping with the odd motel night to clean up.

I’ve toured through the USA before and the south west is my favourite part. Nothing too adventurous but I like it.

Tracey

Just into the fourth week of our Alps tour. Down through France and to La Thuile. Then a bit further to Pila. Back furthur south to Les Orres and then up into Switzerland and now in Verbier. Weather has been good. Riding has been amazing. Donth think it could be much better. Should have had the camper years ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘If you could take a whole month to just go mountain biking’ is closed to new replies.