• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • If you could ride one, one-day, winter loop in the lakes….
  • fbk
    Free Member

…..Somewhere near Keswick… Next week 🙂

Heading up there with a mate next week and we’re looking to do a decent loop the full day we’re there. It’ll probably need to be not too exposed looking at the forecast but otherwise, any suggestions?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pooley bridge. Up onto askam moor then bridleway down to ullswater. Ullswater bridleway out and back to glenridding.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Polley bridge Ullswater shore high street, quite high a bit boggy up top.
    Borowdale bash not too high and holds up in wet as its mostly rocky.
    Up lonscale fell, side of Skiddaw to Skiddaw house, down to Mungrisdale (bit bogggy) then up cycle path on 66 turn righr down to coach road for return, never gets too high.

fbk
    Free Member

Nice one. Thanks guys. The Pooley bridge area and the Borrowdale Bash have come up before and sound intriguing. Not sure I fancy High Street at this time of year though?

Any more?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

+1 for the Bash, classic and if you don’t have the right tyres for lots of sharp edge rocks then it can take all day.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

The borrow dale bash is a great morning ride followed by Glendaterra (Lonscale terrace) in the afternoon would be perfect

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Skiddaw house out and back well worth a ride.
    Mentioning high street one of the best rides I had over there was in a very very cold but sunny December morning. The ground at the top was all solid with a hard ground frost. It rode really well as not dragging down by the soft peaty ground. Was great and really quick.
    Have a good ride wherever you go 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

High Street, but I’d take 3l of water, not 1.5 like I did last time I rode it.

tomaso
    Free Member

Ullock Pike and all the good bits around Glendaterra etc.
    Or Borrowdale Bash if weather is iffy

stoney
    Free Member

The “PROPER” B.Bash, i.e, not the one i the guide books. roughly 18 miles round and you`ll ache afterwards….

😉

mtbguiding
    Free Member

I’d head up Back o Skiddaw: Threlkeld – Skiddaw House – Cumbria Way to Mosedale – Mining tracks from Calebeck to Fellside – continue to Longlands then south to rejoin w. Way up Dash Beck and Whitewater Dash – Finish via brilliant singletrack around Lonscale Fell and down Latrrigg.

That’s a decent day-size ride on mainly good surfaces (some boggy stuff on drop to Mosedale) and never too exposed.

Borrowdale is just too short for a full day and Ullswater’s too busy on weekends…

Just my opinion of course!

neilthewheel

Mtbguiding – that’s absolutely my fave LD ride.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Anything further south worth thinking about? around kedal, grizdall etc, rocky all weather route ideally

jezketley
    Free Member

I would do borrowdale bash, and if you fancied a bit more tag on the glenderatera loop as suggested above and finish the day and drive home with a good grin on your face.

boxelder

Loads of options west of Ambleside if dodgy weather

Trekster

Like mtbguidings route, was the last ride I did with nobeerinthefridge ^^^^^ 😆
    Managed to miss the junction at Longlands 🙄
    Biking into the wind over Caldbeck Fells was tough…

fbk
    Free Member

Excellent. Many thanks for the ideas.

I reckon Borrowdale bash sounds like the one, and maybe head up Skiddaw/Lonscale Fell way afterwards if we’ve got the energy.

MTBguides – I like the sounds of your loop but I’m struggling to follow it on the map past Mosedale.

Either way, we’ll see what the weather does I’guess.

Thanks again

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Sorry, north from Mosedale to Calebeck Farm then L onto track (not sure if it’s marked as a ROW on the map but it’s permissive access).

fbk
    Free Member

Borrowdale Bash (with a few extras) – what a great little loop. Thanks very much for the advice – we had a great ride, helped by remarkably sunny weather!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘If you could ride one, one-day, winter loop in the lakes….’ is closed to new replies.