Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • If you could live anywhere in the UK . . . .
  • bigblackshed

zippykona – Member
    Bigblackshed, those new places near the hotel..yes please.

Not the new places, one of the Edwardian houses. Or my choice, the big place just as you round the corner at Down End Point, up on the hill.

SaxonRider

I would look for a farm house in rural Wales somewhere.

But I do love Northumberland. I’m surprised no one has mentioned it yet.

zippykona

Bbshed , my friend used to house sit the big one with the tennis courts on the track opposite the golf course. Very nice, plus its next to that climb up to the masts.
    Would need a fat bike for the burrows as well.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I have a soft spot for North Yorkshire. Spent a few years there at uni and, after growing up in London, riding on the moors was my first taste of proper biking. There is also really good surfing to be had up there. Friendly locals.

The other place would be North Cornwall. Not sure how good the riding is but its got good surfing and pretty clean beaches.

Never been to the West coast of Ireland but I’ve had riders come over from there and it sounds highly good.

swavis

Can’t see me moving far from where I am now on Speyside. I love it! Cairngorms 45mins, beach 30 mins. Braw! 😀

smogmonster

When its sunny..North Yorkshire (funnily enough i live there already)…but as its rarely sunny up here, i’d have to say Hampshire or Kent, given how much warmer it is down there, and France and Europe is a short drive away.

Having said that i was in shorts and Tshirt yesterday whilst biking Wensleydale and Swaledale. It was GLORIOUS. I gather it was shite down South..

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to live anywhere other than where I already am on Eastern Dartmoor.

Great riding and beautiful countryside on my doorstep. Can get to either North Cornwall or South Devon coasts within an hour. Surf in the morning / MTB in afternoon is possible in the summer months. Town we live in is really friendly with loads going on – great for young families and with a strong community feel. I know about 10 times more people after 18 months living here than I did in almost 10 years of living in a similar sized village in the South East. Also some great local pubs and places to eat and a surprisingly lively local music scene.

I’m lucky enough to work within the national park, but it’s also easily commutable to Exeter or Plymouth. All good basically.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Surrey is great for an all round life style, countryside, work, travel links etc. But the West Country beckons when work is no longer required….or perhaps the Isle of Purbeck. The weather has got to be a big factor if you’re out in it most of the day.

druidh
    Free Member

You don’t know anyone up your way trying to sell a 3/4 bedroom detached house with garage by any chance?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

The weather has got to be a big factor if you’re out in it most of the day.

Actually that is one of the only downsides of living here in the SW – it’s warmer than a lot of the rest of the UK, but also a lot wetter than the E side of the country.

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

South edge of Dartmoor – beautiful landscape, good offroad and road biking. 30 mins from some amazing coast too. excellent local beers and local food. rains a lot.

molgrips
    Free Member

On balance (riding/work) I’m hard pushed to think of better than here in Bethesda (N. Wales) – particularly given the sunshine and a colourful autumn. A 7 mile off road commute into uni’ to keep me ticking over and lots of mountains on my door step with trails that I don’t even know about yet. What else could one want?

It’s in a lovely spot, but it’s not that nice of a village IMO.

I’d move to Builth Wells I think.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Near mountains and the sea….North Wales, The Lake District, Scotland

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Saxabar– your’e supposed to keep shtum about these things
    😉

you must vary your route home ?–

mikertroid
    Free Member

South Devon. No question! Or maybe North Devon 😉

ononeorange

Pretty much anywhere where there isn’t thick gloopy mud everywhere for 11.5 months a year.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Pretty much anywhere where there isn’t thick gloopy mud everywhere for 11.5 months a year.

Not in the UK then!

molgrips
    Free Member

The mud varies, places without clay aren’t thick and gloopy. The Brecon Beacons for instance remain very rideable all year on the whole as long as you can afford the chains and brake pads.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Lakes, Pembrokeshire, South Hams, Dorset – all fantastic to visit but for me too remote to live permanently and I couldn’t deal with all the tourists in the summer, Lakes especially.

I live in Surrey and aside from parts of Hampshire or Sussex I don’t think I’d move. Lots of fabulous countryside, great walking and riding and great communication links especially airports, motorway network and proximity to ferries and channel tunnel. London 35 mins away.

saxabar
    Free Member

you must vary your route home ?–

When I can – up to the Mynydd trails from the Tregarth/Bangor path and a very naughty one home to the far end of Bethesda!

but it’s not that nice of a village IMO

Oi! 😉 OK, the centre of town isn’t chocolate box but we now have a Tesco metro!

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Pretty happy where i am in Ross-shire. Torridon range 40mins, Cairngorm 40min, Golspie 50min, Laggan 60min, Learnie 25min and Strathpeffer 10min. Could be worse 😉

gordimhor

Every body seems to know where they want to be, but I think the most important thing is the people you have around you, and knowing the value of what you have got wherever you are

druidh
    Free Member

I’ll be happy as a hermit

boltonjon

The Isle of Man

All the different types of terrain that you can find in any corner of the UK plus lots of surfing, diving and jetskiing

The cheap tax also helps!!

birky
    Free Member

Highland Perthshire or the Angus glens

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Currently in the Lakes, but quietly campaigning for a shift over to Stavely someday. Be a bit more convenient for many things, mainly work related.

In my perfect world… Inverness. Love it there and for a few years it was looking like it may happen (I was working on it, but accidentally moved south instead… turned out that was a good idea though). The considerably better half however has designs on Cornwall. Which would also not be so bad, but don’t tell her that.

Although I also like mid Wales after a rather good time in my life (or at least some aspects of it) centered around Machynlleth.

gordimhor

I’ll keep an eye out for hermit
    s in the Cairn Gorm area then Druidh 😀

eviljoe
    Free Member

I already live there

No I’m not telling you where 🙂

messiah
    Free Member

Stonehaven. The gateway to Royal Deeside with the sea on one side and forests leading too the Cairngorm mountains on the other… if only Aberdeen was further away it would be perfect (but I’m not retired and I need to work so it’s rather handy).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thinking back second choice after west lakes would be Glasgow. Opens up loads of weekend venues and still a good city to be in

BlindMelon
    Free Member

North Antrim Coast, cheap housing, good beaches and road/off road riding. Friendly people and a slower pace of life. Belfast 45 mins away for work. Plenty of opportunity to have a wee business for tourist trade as well

Not getting the Inverness love on this thread, its like a large industrial estate with a poor high street full of pound shops. The best thing about Inverness is the A9 out of it in either direction.

mcboo
    Free Member

Hampstead. Or maybe a nice doric fronted terraced house on a garden square in Notting Hill.

Klunk
    Free Member

may I direct eviljoe to the following thread

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Cornwall, somewhere on the coast around Sennen or Zennor but then I’m a roadie at heart….

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Plenty of opportunity to have a wee business for tourist trade as well

Is there No public toilets ?

johndoh
    Free Member

As I said ages ago in this thread, my brother moved to Cornwall and hates it completely. Went there because of fond childhood memories now he can’t wait to leave and come back to North Yorkshire.

dantsw13

So many Factors. What is the budget? Is the priority the house or the scenery?

I moved out of London to rural East Sussex 3 years ago, and LOVE it down here. The mountain biking from my doorstep is surprisingly good too.

lazybike
    Free Member

Glen Prosen….when you get round the bend by the Scott memorial…wow.

will
    Free Member

Either the Peak District or Edinburgh.

Although this would be quite nice:
    http://search.knightfrank.com/cho100185

Edit:
    Yorkshire castle
    http://search.knightfrank.com/cho080459

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Motorman’s area in NE Scotland looks nice but I’m quite happy where I am on the edge of the New Forest. I’ve got good riding, road and off road, that I don’t have to drive to and coast and town both within riding distance. The only real downside is that it can get a bit crowded here. I think I might struggle with the lack of winter daylight in Scotland.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘If you could live anywhere in the UK . . . .’ is closed to new replies.