Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • If you could live anywhere in Cumbria….
  • athgray
    Free Member

I like the Eden Valley. Nice villages and pubs. Inlaws have a static caravan in Melmerby. If in the lakes, probably Keswick. (In fact anywhere close to a Booths).

ElShalimo

Settle has a Booths
    😉

martinhutch

Which bit of the Dales. I keep toying with that idea, although it would be a little less convenient.

I wouldn’t want to be dicing with too much distance on the A65 every morning. You’d grow to hate it as much as the 590. Lethal mix of too many nutters in cars and on motorbikes, grannies, trucks and tractors.

Some of the villages on the east side of the M6 near Kirkby Lonsdale are pretty nice, though, and I think prices aren’t too bad.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

That was one of the areas I was looking at, there are some nice bits further north too (Garsdale for example) but the drive from there is just too much (as is Dent), particularly in winter!

Ingleton/Bentham wouldn’t be bad though.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Settle for me. I wouldn’t like a regular car commute but I don’t have one 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Bentham is quite reasonable for houses I think and is a nice ‘real’ town as opposed to some of the chocolate box touristy Dales towns.

martinhutch

Ingleton is nice and property is cheapish for the Dales. You’re a bit stuck for food shopping except for a little co-op though. Not too keen on Bentham, possibly just a personal prejudice.

Kirkby Lonsdale?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Kirkby Lonsdale?

£££££££

Burton In Lonsdale? Crap riding though.

The reason no-one from Barrow has sprung to its defence

is you can’t defend the indefensible.

There are some nice spots between the M6 and skiddaw – no towns as such but penrith/carlisle closeish

grum
    Free Member

I’m from Kirkby Lonsdale – missus is from Bentham. I’d go for Bentham any day. Kirkby is a pretty town with nice places to eat/drink but has become ridiculously posh and expensive – lots of ‘lifestyle’ shops for people who drive Range Rovers. 😉

Neither have brilliant riding from the door though. There’s a loop round Barbon you can do from Kirkby which is alright and I guess you could link that to Dent etc. From Bentham I don’t think there’s a lot except to head towards Clapham on the road.

Settle would be good for riding from the door but it’s a little way from anything.

birky
    Free Member

Spark Bridge, Greenodd, Lowick, Nibthwaite, Coniston, Broughton are all nice areas and alot quieter than other areas of the Lakes

My cousin lives Lowick Green/Spark Bridge area. Nice around there and only 5-10 mins from Ulverston.

Have you seen the house with the jets in the garden 😀
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.2524079,-3.0652699,3a,75y,327.25h,83.69t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sfDjUBj3X4TTpgAAd_In-4w!2e0

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I have seen that – it is superb!

We are now considering North and Eastern Cumbria! She whom holds the veto is looking at Rightmove and has decided that it may be worth a look considering how much more you get for your money! We shall have a wee fact finding expedition that way in the next few weeks I think.

breadcrumb

I’d say Cockermouth and it’s surrounding villages. We’re currently in Dearham but are looking to move to the likes of Dean/Eaglesfield/Tallentire/Lamplugh kind of villages.

I like Cockermouth, great little town with cracking pubs and restaurants.

I couldn’t be done with Keswick- too many tourists.

Neb

We live in Brigham and love it here. Cockermouth is a cracking wee old fashioned (in a good way!) market town with lots going on. I was brought up in Askham and although i love it there the house prices are mental! I reckon I’d like living in Greystoke, Langwathby or Eden valley as more realistic options.

Its interesting hearing other peoples opinions!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Askham is very nice – would love a place there, but they are rare as hens teeth! I also like Cockermouth but think that is getting a little too far from the M6 to really be viable (a day working down in Cheshire from there is going to be very painful, even Blackpool will be a bit of an arse!)

Looking forward to an explore of Eden in a couple of weeks time – we have found a stack of potential houses around there, over west of Penrith (around Greystoke-ish) and up towards Brampton and Carlisle that are really, really nice for the same price as the very ordinary places in the South Lakes.

Although I still have a handful in the south worth a look.

I agree Neb, really interesting to hear peoples thoughts on other places – both people with direct knowledge of living in them as well as folks that have visited. As a bonus I suspect there are few places with less good riding from the doorstep in the county than Ulverston (except possibly Basra… sorry… Barrow)

benz
    Free Member

Stayed at a nice converted barn in Slaggyford 2 years back. Bit out in the sticks ‘though…

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Now that is a placename to be proud of 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘If you could live anywhere in Cumbria….’ is closed to new replies.