Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • If you could give 1 tip for better mtb photography what would it be?
  • jhw
    Free Member

Specifically how better to capture the scale and steepness of jumps and drops; how better to convey speed in the context of the landscape; and basically how to capture the full gnar of the situation!

On a fully manual SLR

Cheers

jam-bo

Good riders.
    Remote flashes.
    Lots of practice.

R979
    Free Member

Make sure the rider is wearing a neck-brace.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigthunder
    Free Member

Make yerself an image stabiliser. There was a thread on here about how to do it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Buy lots of flashes and remotes

crikey
    Free Member

Take the lens cap off.

jhw
    Free Member

More in terms of composition?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Riders with plenty of Gnarrrr factor help.
    Remote flash (cheapo ebay triggers are fine if you’re going fully manual)
    Tilt the camera to make the ground look steeper than it really is.
    edit*
    Learn what the different settings on your camera actually achieve in terms of ISO settings, shutter speeds, aperture values & how they affect DOF etc etc.

5thElefant
    Free Member

On a fully manual SLR

Bin it.

Get a dslr.

jhw
    Free Member

or to make it look like the rider is laying it flat more than s/he really is

EDIT – 5th – sacrilege!

ask1974
    Free Member

Regarding conveying speed; set a fairly slow shutter speed, say around 1/60s, and track the rider whilst pressing the shutter release. The back ground will blur whilst the rider stays in focus. Play with the shutter speed to get the best balance, it’s quite nice when the rider is a little blurred as well sometimes.

Oh, and use a flash. Biggest one you can afford. Can get gloomy under the trees where good exposure becomes a problem.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Have a laugh at Jim, basic, but good advice.
    Jumping Jim Flash
    In terms of getting them to appear more flat (assume while jumping) Get the riders to improve.

5lab

agree with the get a dslr comment. The feedback loop is so much shorter it enables you to learn much quicker

zeus
    Free Member

Just one tip? Pan/track with the rider as smoothly as possible. This pic was taken with on-camera flash, with combination of wide angle lens, slow shutter speed, and a few other tweaks: http://zeus.shutterchance.com/theme/1-all-themes/image/2011/11/21/railing-berm-4/

eviljoe
    Free Member

Don’t stand in the middle of the path

jhw
    Free Member

can’t do this

or this

without a manual and attendant funky film

Or at least I can’t

Both shots just need a rider flying through the air in them!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Get close, get low, shoot wide.

shooting side on is normally the best way to make an air look impressive. Think about the background. A lot of people deride the “framed against the sky” look, but I bet your riders like the results.

jhw
    Free Member

Thanks – that’s helpful

On a drop-in/bombhole – fill the frame with the rider, or go for context – which is best?

ski
    Free Member

love your first shot jhw

Why not photoshop a silhouette of a rider airborn in the sky between the two trees, result 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Leave the camera at home and just ride !

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bin it.

Get a dslr.

Get a film SLR, bigger “sensor” = more depth of field controll

Film means you can upgrade the ‘sensor’ to something super dooper or use cheep £1/roll truprint stuff.

I thought a dSLR would help with the instant feedback, in reality its just the composition you get feedback on, not much you can say about focus/depth of field/etc on a little 2″ screen and you’d be relying on the histograms for exposure etc rather than learning to make a judgement.

And for the cost of a DSLR you’d geat a few years of ameture usage out of a (practicaly free they’re so cheep, even see ‘modern’ cannon/nikons onn frecycle, and older SLRS actualy seem to be apreciateing) film slr paying for films and developing, or you could even sue the cheep film mentioned above, and a scanner and still be in the black over a new DSLR.

jhw
    Free Member

Wholeheartedly agree. Just bought an old Pentax K1000 (thread about it on here) for really not very much money at all and am totally in love with it. Takes some good pictures for the money (well under £100), latest are up on my flickr here, the Coniston ones taken with digital which follow look so flat by comparison

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

eviljoe – Member
    Don’t stand in the middle of the path

Anyone got the vidoe Pook shot on the pootle of exactly what happens if you stand on the path with a video camera?

5lab

doesn’t need to be a *new* dslr though. if you’ve got lenses that’ll fit on the appropriate body, a canon 300d is available used from about £100 – i expect nikon bodies are similar. That’s really not many film’s worth of purchasing\processing (unless you’ve got some way of doing it on the cheap)

flow
    Free Member

Specifically how better to capture the scale and steepness of jumps and drops; how better to convey speed in the context of the landscape; and basically how to capture the full gnar of the situation!

On a fully manual SLR

If I could only give one, then it would be the use off camera flash. It gives the rider some pop, and seperates them nicely from the background. Without that MTB photos look rubbish.

To convey speed you need to practice panning, and capturing the scale is just about getting the right angle.

higthepig
    Free Member

Make sure that the valve caps/tyre logos are in the correct position before pressing the clicky button.

BigJohn

I spent a couple of days, with a buddy, being snapped by Seb Rogers last week as he was doing a feature on my local environs.

Seemingly the answer is elbows out, keep closer together and can we do that again (and again) please.

nicko74

Make sure you’re looking in the right end.

dingus
    Free Member

If I could only give one, then it would be the use off camera flash. Without that MTB photos look rubbish.

Please don’t tell me you’re being serious…

My tips would be practice, make sure you show the trail and find interesting angles.

srphoto
    Free Member

Just keep taking photos, you’ll start to notice what works and what doesnt work and the photos will progress naturally. You can easily spend alot of money on flashguns, triggers, wide lenses, telephoto lens, and the like but these things arent some magical fix, it takes time.

Keep on shooting

(I also dont understand why everyone seems to love pan shots)

SRP

flow
    Free Member

Please don’t tell me you’re being serious…

You won’t find any decent photographer not using OCF, even on the brightest of days.

Clearly you have much to learn young grasshopper. When you do, then you may question me.

I also dont understand why everyone seems to love pan shots

Because they show motion and speed 😕

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Take lots and reject most of them.

don’t resort to tricks like angling the camera to make it look steeper

igm

You won’t find any decent photographer not using OCF, even on the brightest of days.

For some shots perhaps, but not all. Once your subject is a decent distance away (yes I know you can just move the flash away too) it doesn’t work so well and either does nothing or looks fake/contrived.

And a tip – the oldest one in the book – “f8* and be there”.

Again doesn’t work for everything, but a half usable shot is always better than no shot.

*other apertures are available and may be used if necessary

igm

Apologies.

TJ has an older and possibly even better tip.

flow
    Free Member

Sorry mate you’re wrong.

Go find your old MTB mags and have a close look at the photos. I guarantee 99% of them have used one or two OCF’s.

If you still don’t believe me I will talk you through the reasons why.

5lab

one thing for steep trails – google and understand what forshortening is, and how to use it to your advantage (hint, shoot with a long lens from a long way away)

matthew_h
    Free Member

OCF is just one of the tools that come in handy but is far from a necessity. Used well it can look good but used badly it can look awful. As for 99% of shots using it, that is nonsense.

My one bit of advice would be practice. Take lots of shots and see what you like from them and what you don’t like and try to figure out what it is about the good ones that you like so you can repeat it.

Everything else about kit, styles etc is just a smokescreen. Good pictures don’t depend on what kit you’re using or what style you’re using but whether people like them and that is the fundamental. You can take the most technically correct shot using tens of thousands of pounds of kit but if no-one likes it then it is of no use.

dingus
    Free Member

Clearly you have much to learn young grasshopper. When you do, then you may question me.

Gadz. Are you really saying that you without OCF MTB photos look rubbish?

igm

Depends entirely on what sort of MTB photo.

Big mountains with trails snaking across them and a rider or two in the middle distance do not benefit from OCF.

Wheel in your face MBUK stylie probably generally does.

In between it is a mixture. OCF will give punch (provided it’s well used) but it will detract from mood and atmosphere (in my opinion as someone who has never sold a photo and took his last shot on an iPhone – though I did do a couple of NVQs in monochrome a few years ago… those were the days, the smell of chemistry, the strange stains on your shirt sleeves… ahh)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘If you could give 1 tip for better mtb photography what would it be?’ is closed to new replies.