Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • If you could build a trail anywhere in the UK…
  • matther01
    Free Member

Where would you build it? Hoping for lottery win tonight to do exactly that!

Northwind

I’d go looking for the perfect hill- decent size, reasonably steep, forested but with rocks close to the surface, some interesting texture, and ideally with a road to the top 😉

jam-bo

My garden.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

SN3 1TX

matther01
    Free Member

Would you open it to all…or keep it all to yourself?!

brakes
    Free Member

behind the NatWest Bank in Swindon

billyboulders
    Free Member

Inside the big domes at the eden project. Dry trails all year round – yeeehah!

plecostomus
    Free Member

North Wales – we have done it already

coopersport1
    Free Member

I used to work in the china clay industry in Cornwall and often thought that a disused pit a la the Eden project could be turned into a cracking trail centre.

nedrapier

Hornsey Rise, please. It’d make the ride to work a bit more enjoyable.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    I’d go looking for the perfect hill- decent size, reasonably steep, forested but with rocks close to the surface, some interesting texture, and ideally with a road to the top

You forgot “just by my house”

Garry_Lager

The Tweed valley.

Take the existing national standard MTB destination and quintuple it in size and scope. Take it international – trails as far as the eye can see. A week’s MTB holiday would only scratch the surface.

nedrapier

coopersport, google red bull racedown and red bull harescramble.

Former is a DH race deep underground in a salt mine. Latter is a ridiculously tough motorcycle enduro race starting at the bottom of an opencast mine.

brakes
    Free Member

Hornsey Rise, please. It’d make the ride to work a bit more enjoyable.

at least start at the top Ned. Ally Pally – it’s already got an uplift road.
    seriously though, somewhere within 10 minutes ride of my house would be nice…

banks
    Free Member

The whole of macc forest/cheshire salt mines!

righog
    Free Member

I would look for a long low hill. a hopefully get a couple of miles of shallow downhill zig zagging down the sides, with a few variations of the route. With a short sharp uphill to get back up to the start. If I won the lottery my house would be at the base of the climb.

properbikeco
    Free Member

I’d link up all the western 7stanes using rights of ways and bespoke mountain singletrack!

of course this route would just happen to pass my front door!

_tom_
    Free Member

Would like to buy some private woods near me and dig some awesome dirt jumps 🙂

crispo
    Free Member

Longridge Fell. Its dying to be turned into a proper trail centre.

Would put Lancashire right up there as a weekend destination for bikers!

transporter13
    Free Member

I’d buy a field near me and get a few mates in and hire some diggers for a week.
    The field would have a nice slope to it and dense trees on all sides of the field to stop the crosswinds
    Multi line dirt jumps and pump tracks
    A big pit too for the summer ready to fill with water and a big ramp in front.
    There’d be space to camp etc so everyone would be welcome

chipsngravy
    Free Member

My local… the Purbecks.

Why the National Trust don’t embrace MTBing I don’t know.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d buy Skiddaw!

Install a chairlift.

And enjoy the complete lack of mud up top!

sambob
    Free Member

Goyt Valley. Loamy wide switchbacks with smallish jumps and some fast flat drifty corners.

wallop

Cornwall. It’d give me another reason to go home to the family.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Longridge Fell.

Was on the cards four years ago or so. It was/is the same forest manager/owner as Llandegla (Tilhill). Presume the economic situation has dried up many investment channels or something along those lines. Might still possibly be in the pipeline tho and happen at some point in the future. Following the success of Llandegla, Tilhill will certainly still be looking for outside investment ops to add value/cash generation to their other land/operations. However, At the Moment the other financial ‘partners’ might not be there or willing ie local/national gov., Lottery funds, EU grants etc.
    Altho, may be something as simple as access that put paid to their plan, don’t know.

passtherizla
    Free Member

More west coast Scotland would be nice, specifically Oban area.

kevj
    Free Member

I know if a place with 3 existing ski lifts which barely get used in winter. The fells on which they are built fulfil the criteria of a very good and unique trail centre (think open moorland downhill). I have often wondered if there is any mileage in pursuing this further.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Lottery win.

Then, buy everything I could round Fassfern by Fort Bill.

And a digger.

There’s a lot already in Fort Bill but everytime i’m home I’m overloaded with “what if” visions of excellence.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Can’t stop thinking about this now. I think it’s fair to say that with limitless facilities available, there’s endless scope between Fort Bill & Inverness.

Google Earth’s my favourite toy.

I wonder if people already have plans?

b45her
    Free Member

personally i think south wales needs more trails built, we are always overlooked when it comes to mountain biking. . . 🙄

Euro
    Free Member

Something outside my door would be fantastic! The local forest is a couple of miles away but as handy as that would seem, it’d just be great trails. A further 20 miles and your in Glens of Antrim territory. Man, trails there would be sooooo nice.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

A nice, legal, all-weather trail with a few interesting features between Airedale (Bingley) and Wharfedale (Ilkley) would do me. And open up HUGE numbers of big days out riding without involving cheeky trail shredding or a long towpath ride out to Skipton

banks
    Free Member

Sambob – when we both have bikes/finished exams etc I’ve got a couple of places to show you, if you know what I mean..

Edit: not in a George micheal way

Mugboo

Plum – if you fancy helping out, we are building not only an all weather trail at St Ives, Bingley but also a relationship with Bradford Council. As they own/manage over 800 hectares, inc large parts of Ilkley Moor then we’d be happy to have you onboard (apologies if you are already).

sambob
    Free Member

I’m done with exams, Bike should be finished mid week. Let me know when you’re available.

br
    Free Member

I’d link up all the western 7stanes using rights of ways and bespoke mountain singletrack!

They’re in Scotland and everywhere is a ‘right-of-way’ – so you can pretty much do it anyway.

blurltrider
    Free Member

Macc forest and goyt valley
    +1

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘If you could build a trail anywhere in the UK…’ is closed to new replies.