Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • If you caught your kids smoking weed……
  • SiB
    Free Member

When I was younger we were allowed to use a friends bedroom as a place to crash and have a splif or two most nights. His parents who I still know to this day (20years on) both had decent jobs, lived in a well to do area and were very respectable. Their view was that their son was going to smoke weed whatever they said to him so they let him do it upstairs with his close friends where they knew where he was…….if he wasnt indoors he would be doing it on the streets and in all kinds of unsavoury people.

I guess his folks were taking a huge risk allowing him to have friends round to do the same (a small bunch of us who the parents had known for years)as if any of our parents had found out I’m pretty sure they would have gone to his house to confront his parents.

I now have two teenage daughters and wondering if I would do the same if they ever smoked weed…….or would I let them smoke it in public with the risk of getting caught and not knowing where they are or even worse, who they are with? Is it best to try and control small elements? And no, they dont smoke weed but yes I do so would know straight away if they did.

What would you do if there was no chnace they weren’t going to stop smoking it….allow them to do it int heir bedroom where you know where they are and who they are with?

finbar
    Free Member

Smoking in the house is horrid, weed or otherwise.

nickc

It’s about trust and communication isn’t it.

SiB
    Free Member

Finbar, I totally agree with you, it is a horrible smell and lingers on everything for ages, the ban on smoking in enclosed public spaces is best bit of legislation for a while IMO, but you havent really answered the q!

finbar
    Free Member

Yeah, sorry. I guess i’d let them do it in the garden if it wasn’t overlooked. TBH i’d be more concerned about the lung-raping issue than the drugs. Maybe buy them a vapourizer? Bake it into some brownies? 😉

SiB
    Free Member

Nickc – is that a yes or a no then?? I do know what you mean but his folks were taking a huge risk trusting a bunch of teenage potheads to be quiet about it, but we all did. Obviously trusted us then! I’m not sure if I could do the same though for my dughters and their friends but I’m pretty sure I would for my daughters if they were alone……..but whats the point and where’s the fun smoking alone?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I dont see the whole “protecting them from others/the street” issue. IF they do it in the house they’ll do it in the street. If you give them a place to do it you’re suggesting its a good idea. While not always possible, I’d hope my kids would be sane enough not to take the habit up.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’d let them smoke at home…

Preferably outside, in a shed..

To be fair, if they wanna smoke weed, they are going to, with, or without your blessing..

I guess if they are doing it and you are aware, if there are any dramas you can be there to help get them squared away.

enfht
    Free Member

What would Jacqui Smith do?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

enfht – Member

Buy it, smoke it, and then put it on her expenses?

maxray
    Free Member

Weird.. I could have been “your friend”. 🙂 Our attic was always the end point for such activities and parents had similir views to your friends.. think we pushed the limits a fair few times though.

I think I would be inclined to let my daughter do that but am pretty sure Mrs Maxray would be having none of it! 😀

Keva
    Free Member

I haven’t got kids so wouldn’t know… My brothers eldest is 17-18 and if I knew he was smoking it I’d probably invite him round my house for a spliff and have a good old chat with him about sensible use and dangers of class A’s etc…

Kev

Junkyard
    Free Member

IF they do it in the house they’ll do it in the street.

what like we all do with sex you mean?
    Personally I make my brews there and often just go to the toilet as well there is NOTHING i do in my house I would not do in th street

seriously though there is very little you can do to protect your children from this but you should be aware that it is illegal to knowingly allow people to smoke in your house and you can personally be prosecuted for this offence.
    If they were my kids I probably would allow it my wife would most certainly not so we would all be outside somehwere.

Onzadog
    Free Member

No, when I was younger, I got the lecture about how drugs would mess up your life and how a criminal record would mess up my future. Worked for me. Then again, there was beer in the fridge and I was allowed to help myself from 14. Didn’t like the stuff then and not really bother going back since.

God, don’t I sound boring!!!

freeform5spot
    Free Member

I used to think that I would have no issue with it. However, that was back when all you could get was some half OK red-seal or bog standard weed. It took real effort and dedication to get stoned!

I remember when skunk first really came to the fore in the UK (1993/4) and it was a totally different experience. Now skunk is bred specifically to knock the bee-jeezus out of you.

I personally believe that there is a link between the chemicals in cannabis and psychosis and smoking skunk weed is more likely to tip you over the edge than normal weed on a like for like basis.

My attitudes have changed now and I couldnt turn a blind eye to or advicate by proxy my kids smoking it.

tankslapper
    Free Member

If I caught my kids smoking dope I’d march them down to the front of the local nick and make them smoke all they had in front of the police with a placard saying

‘I’m smoking weed – in spite of all my parents have said. I also realise that I am, through my actions, sponsoring local criminal activity and possibly even terrorists. My dad says he is not paying his national health insurance so I can **** up like this – you deal with it’

Fair to say I don’t tolerate drugs…..

(Christ! I suddenly realise being from Ulster does not mean I’m necessarily a ‘moderate’):roll:

franki
    Free Member

tankslapper – are you for real??!!??

Education is the only way to deal with drug use / abuse.

Onzadog
    Free Member

education is the way forward, and what Tankslapper suggests would certainly teach them a thing or two!

richc
    Free Member

well they wouldn’t smoke weed in the house again.

coffeeking
    Free Member

what like we all do with sex you mean?

Yes, because sex and smoking are almost identical. 🙄 What is this, random stupid analogy day?!

franki
    Free Member

well they wouldn’t smoke weed in the house again.

😆

aracer
    Free Member

Far more importantly, what would RudeBoy do?

richc
    Free Member

who knows, it’s hard to predict people who suffer from short man/arse syndrome.

YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

I think weed is one of the most dangerous drugs out there, leads onto other drugs and robs you of ambition, nearly ruined my life.

Of course used sensibly it can be safe done at the right time and the right people, but as a teenager most people don’t do this, its all about who can take the biggest caning and if used regularly gives physcosis and paranoia. All my opinion of course, I guess its better if you can keep an eye on yer kids, but it is condoning something which seems to have taken on an air of acceptability, but in my view is worse than E.

Pieface

If you smoke weed and they know it they’ll see you as a hypocrite if you aren’t relaxed about it.

Did you think your mates parents were cool to let you do it, respect them for it and not cause any trouble?

Milkie
    Free Member

My answer would depend on a lot:
    There age, Type of weed, what grades they get at school/college, there attitude, what type of friends they have.. So many things to consider!

If they always got in to trouble and things then I probably wouldn’t let them smoke it, and would try everything to get them to stop.

Believe it or not, but I am a smoker. My mum let me smoke in the house, but I was 19 at the time.

tankslapper
    Free Member

franki – Member

tankslapper – are you for real??!!??

Education is the only way to deal with drug use / abuse.

Totally for real – I think the bit that says ‘In spite of all my parents have said’ refers to the ‘education’ part.

Belfast upbringing – beat it inta ya! 😆

(That was a party political broadcast brought to you by someone brought-up between 1690 and 1890 – I thank you!)

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

(That was a party political broadcast brought to you by someone brought-up between 1690 and 1890 – I thank you!)

Tankslapper – that deserves a hearty chuckle 😆

gusamc
    Free Member

I’d probably go for the education and fact basis. I’d suggest that the way to make something appealing is to ban it, but that’s MHO.

Re the house – tricky (as the smell etc is hideous) – but at least they had some form of adult support around. So I actually quite like this attitude (e.g mate bought a massive wendy house, leccy etc, and let them get on with – at least they were in the back garden if they needed help)

I’ve known recreational drug users (and they really did it when THEY wanted – so drugs were a tool they used for pleasure) but I’ve seen it go horribly wrong as well (and to be fair the vast majority of the recreational drug users actually gave it up after a while).

My motivation for stopping was socializing with people who were so stoned that they’d forget what they were talking about mid sentence and effectively not being able to do anything useful like being relied on etc etc. Also as they got more into it, it became more of their life – ie driving …. etc etc – which wasn’t where I wanted to go.

There is also the horrible truth about alcohol, my mum was a nurse and as she pointed out she never got punched in the face by somebody who’d had a bit too much to smoke.

Evidence and stats appear to vary but modern weed does appear to be a lot more dangerous than the ‘hippy stuff’ – possibilities of mental illness later on does appear very real. Maybe both you and they could do some reasearch together – at least you’d be able to argue based on fact. However I must admoit as a teenager my listening facilities appeared to be remaarkably impaired. You could also try to encourage sport etc and other interests where they are likely to meet non users (and therefore conform to the new norm)

PS I don’t have children so this could all be utter tosh. Best of luck

tang
    Free Member

my dad had a 1930s showmans wagon at the end of the garden. when we reached 16 we got the caravan for 2 years, respect it its yours. dont, back in the house. it was great, quiet(we lived in the woods). rule was no sessions on weeknights(apart from crafty ones after homework) weekends were great few good mates round, chicks and mucho smoking. we had fires outside roamed the woods at night. it soon evolved into cooking, music and bikes. i think the idea was a good one and we were all ready to leave home at 18. this was part of a very hippy upbringing. my own kids? well…have to wait and see(girls 9&3).

emac65
    Free Member

No,wouldn’t let them smoke weed or anything else in the house & if I caught them smoking anything outside I’d kick the crap out of them.Don’t think it would ever come to that as my kids are very anti-smoking anyway,seeing their granddad die from throat cancer(very unpleasant)has had a lasting effect on them…..

Bez

I’d kick the crap out of them

Nice 😐

emac65
    Free Member

Yeah you’re right,I’d much rather see them have their voice boxes cut out & then infection set in till thier tongues wouldn’t fit in their mouths so they turned black till they finally died…….

If I have wrote, I’d kill them do you ACTUALLY believe that I would really kill them…?Some people 🙄

epicyclo

I would beat the sh*t out of them in an old fashioned Scottish father way, then hunt down the scum who sold it to them and further educate them.

Once they are adult you can’t stop them stuffing their lives, but you have a moral duty to protect your children even if it means going to extremes.

SlowJohn
    Free Member

I would let them do it but not be happy about it. I take my children to festivals and they know what it is the people are smoking. Too be honest ive always been quite open about it and if anything i think there not that bothered with trying it themselves. I was a regular dope smoker but i dont do it anymore you kind of just grow out of it so i would know if they were doing it.

SlowJohn
    Free Member

I have always liked the smell of it especially thai, not too keen on the cheese smell.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

You’ve got to be realistic though, haven’t you? Anyone who claims the crappy hash and weak weed we were smoking 20 years ago is the same potency as what’s been around for the last 10 years or so is missing the point a little.

We were able to smoke in a mates garage (during “band practice”) under a sort of “don’t ask dont tell” policy seemingly instigated by his parents. There is no way on earth that what we were smoking was similar to what you will get for the same money today.

The stoner culture doesn’t seem to have changed too much, whereas the major variable has.

I don’t have children, but I’d like to think that if or when I do I’d be able to provide them with this little nugget of fact.

samuri
    Free Member

I would beat the sh*t out of them in an old fashioned Scottish father way, then hunt down the scum who sold it to them and further educate them.

Once they are adult you can’t stop them stuffing their lives, but you have a moral duty to protect your children even if it means going to extremes.

I’m not sure how beating my kids up would protect them, guess I never did understand tough love. I’m 100% sure if I did it, the first thing in their minds would be, ‘lets go out and have a crafty spliff, that’ll show the bastard.’

….so what I do with my lad is educate him early about the dangers of drug use in a sensible manner. There are soft and hard drugs and some are addictive and some aren’t. He then talks to me in an open and frank manner about the kids he knows who take drugs and drink and by maintaining this level of trust (rather than fear), we ensure all problems are quickly dealt with.

It’ll be my own fault if he becomes a smack head though, obviously.

thomthumb
    Free Member

get them to roll a fat one!

well maybe not – the worst thing for me is it’s a gateay drug – to a tabacco addiction.

izakimak
    Free Member

I got the lecture of my mum about the evil’s of drugs and what would happen if she caught me. Well she did catch me smoking a joint one day and she seemed to have had a chance of heart, she came out with “well at least your unlikely to be getting into fight’s and other such trouble whilst your stoned and it probably safer that your in someone’s flat than on the street”. I spent the next 15 year’s smashed and sometimes i wish i hadn’t, i had good times, lot’s of good times, only 1 or 2 bad times, and some very bored times staring at the ceiling cause i couldn’t do **** all else. In the end i got bored of being stoned so i stopped, i still have the very occasional joint if one is passed my way. As for what would i do if my daughter start’s smoking it when she is older, well i’ll cross that bridge if it happen’s, somehow though if it does i have a sneaky suspicion that i’ll end up having a smoke with her, old habit’s die hard.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘If you caught your kids smoking weed……’ is closed to new replies.