Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • If you can tear them away from a screen…..
  • MoreCashThanDash

….seems that teenagers quite like riding bikes still!

MCJnr has just become a teenager, and for his “party” this year he wanted to take 3 of his mates down to try the trails at Hicks Lodge as the mates had never ridden even easy trails like that.

Took a tremendous amount of effort to get them out of their sleeping bags to get moving this morning, even though they had been awake and noisy since 5.30am. And had to practically remove them surgically from their phones and tablets so that we could nip round to their homes and pick up their bikes and helmets.

Don’t get me started on half inflated tyres, stupid saddle heights and saddles at 45 degrees (“My dad hasn’t got the right tool to adjust it!” Your dad doesn’t have any sort of **** spanner? Really? And he fathered children!?!?)

But once there, and they’d had a lap to get their eye in and finally began to listen to the fat old guy at the back suggesting that looking ahead round corners and keeping your outside pedal down in a corner would prevent you landing in a heap in the bushes, they had a blast. All three wanted to go back and try it another time. And one agreed with me when I told his dad that a 13 year old really shouldn’t still be riding a 24″ wheeled Raleigh Max full sus!

A happy riding day, plenty of smiles per mile and tall stories being swapped in the café afterwards. And I got the contact details for the organiser of the volunteer trail fairies so I might get a chance to put something back in as well in the next few months.

😀

takisawa2

Despite being 30 mins away, I took my two there for the first time the other week.
    They loved it.
    Great little spot for kids if you don’t fancy Cannock & toiling with the Strave Gnarmongers or the Santa Cruz Car Park Dressage.

aracer
    Free Member

Thanks for the reminder – had been meaning to take my two there for ages, will have to schedule a trip for the holidays.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Just had my three (15/9/6) away camping for the weekend, couldn’t get them off their bikes, and finished off with a couple of hours at Laggan Wolftrax on the way home today. Little one only got going on a proper bike a month ago and was still on it after two pretty big OTB’s, middle one had just one crash on the skills loop at Wolftrax, big one decided the orange was her favourite. Happy dad tonight.

MoreCashThanDash

Both my two love it. The blue is very underrated for a quick blast and perfect for youngsters or beginners.

Decent cafe helps with the kids as well.

Chief Trail Fairy was a nice guy, seemed keen to get more volunteers on board.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Where is the blue? I did the two reds and the orange as well today, and the new lower red is good, but I don’t know where the blue is.

EDIT You weren’t talking to me 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘If you can tear them away from a screen…..’ is closed to new replies.