Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • if you & bike could spend a week anywhere on uplifted trails where would it be?
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Got my 50th this coming summer and was thinking of a guided uplift assisted Alps trip.
    Any recommendations or any other destinations I should consider.

jam-bo

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vesqaZxKgvo[/video]

Quite fancy Japan right now…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Whistler, for a mix of bike park & the valley.

Or closer to home, Les Arcs or Verbier.

tymbian
    Free Member

I’ve thought of whistler…

this looks fun..

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

TOTW is a great trail, but out of the park in the valley is an entire network of trails. Most are significantly better too.

Ride the valley trails in the morning, then get some park laps in later in the afternoon, as it’s all open until 8pm 🙂

tymbian
    Free Member

Hob Nob….having never been there would you recommend a guide?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If you’re just going for a week & want maximum riding for minimum fluff, yes I would speak with someone like Bearback or T2R to do some sort of package.

It’s possible to do without, just not as easy or convenient. But then I’d say the same about LA or Verbier too.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Whistler for the big five o

But pushing it for a week if that inc travel

takisawa2

Holland.

mattbee

Molini with RivieraBike, or Whistler if you can squeeze a little bit more time.

Onzadog
    Free Member

As you say assisted uplift rather than full chairlift, I’d suggest having a chat with Doug at basquemtb. After having spend a decade riding the alps and seeing it change in that time, I much prefer what Doug is doing. Highly recommended.

Tracey

I would have an extra week with Bike Verbier just to be greedy

tymbian
    Free Member

When I say assisted I do really mean that I’d like most of the ascent to be assisted. I’m not a fan of big climbs. Watched a couple of vids on Basquemtb and some of those trails look really good.
    I don’t mind a big day across the mountains finishing with a quality descent on a couple of day mixed with a couple of days of purely doing chairlift, descend, chairlift, descend. Finishing the evening off with a hot-tub and a cold beer.
    Basquemtb doesn’t look far from the beach..

torihada
    Free Member

For your 50th: a week with Bearbackbiking at Whistler.They provide a guide in the morning, park or BC. Our guide had us riding some of the Pro-line features by the end of the week.

Catered in a great Chalet. We did a week there; you’ll want more, but 6 days is fine; arr. Sat lunch. Ride Sun – Fri. Return Sat, flight arr. back in UK Sun am. We’re going back in 2016.

Downside is riding the park at Whistler will ruin all other bike parks for you, everything else will seem poor after that.

cliffyc
    Free Member

The Netherlands?, failed geography at school….

banks
    Free Member

Basque mtb, bring an empty stomach.

_tom_
    Free Member

Whistler but as torihada says it’ll ruin all other riding for you. But you will have the best time ever so it’s worth it! Cannot wait til I can afford to go back there. Squamish looks fun as well and I wish I made time to go there when I had the chance.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Since I came back in sept I’ve been out 5x and zero dh. “It’s good but it’s not quite Carling Whistler”

Onzadog
    Free Member

Basquemtb doesn’t do pure uplift but the climbs are well worth it and Doug gets you most of the way up the worst ones. The fact that, from a mountain biking point of view, you seem to have the entire region to yourself makes it will worth the effort.

Some of it is close to the beach. Love that decent down into San Sebastian

Alphabet

Another vote for Whistler. Then sell all of your bikes 😆

gavstorie
    Free Member

Morzine should fit the bill

tymbian
    Free Member

What sort of cost am I looking at for a week of Whistler incl. accommodation …this might be a deciding factor as I’m not paying.

andyrm
    Free Member

Finale Ligure with Freeride Finale

There’s a bloody good reason its the location for the final round of the SuperEnduro and EWS every year – insanely good trails, stunning beach, good bars, great food and plenty of off bike stuff to do.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Thanks for the kind recommendations guys!

Northwind

I know I could spend a brilliant week surrounding les arcs especially with a wee italy trip to Pila and La Thuile. So there and thereabouts, for riding which I know is basically perfect for me. But that’s kind of retreading old steps so given the opportunity, Whistler, just because I’ve made it out to france 3 years in a row but going to canada still doesn’t seem on the cards.

MSP

These threads always remind me how many places there are to ride I haven’t been to yet. I am going to have to work out a way to cut back on some stuff to get a second biking holiday a year in.

walleater

Having lived in Whistler for a season, and Vancouver ever since, I’m not sure I’d recommend Whistler for one week. It’s a bloody long way. You’ll probably waste a day riding around Coed-e-Brenin the Lost Lake trails, another few hours on the likes of Crank It Up (unless it’s had a re-vamp in the last couple of years) while warming up in the Park itself. Then you’ll start exploring and before you know it you’ll be flying back!

Top Of the World is a great addition and mimics a European alpine trail pretty well, although not as high. Squamish is awesome, but you won’t get to go, or if you do, you’ll probably just get a couple of Half Nelson laps in and then you’ll heading back to Whistler.

If you want to go to a generic resort and be surrounded by people who wear Abercrombie and Fitch then Whistler would get the thumbs up, but if you just want to ride bikes in the mountains, there are closer options.

If you could go for two weeks though, I’d then recommend it, as you’d have the chance to get the hell out of Whistler!

BearBack
    Free Member

Tymbian

Here’s the pricing info on our Whistler Experience package

You still need flights to Vancouver and lift passes if you want to ride the DH park (XC/AM trails do not require a pass).
    Also, lunches, beer money and 2 evening meals.

We provide transfers from Vancouver Intl to Whistler, accommodation, breakfasts, 5 evening meals a week plus guided riding on 5 days of the week.

Flights are the big ticket item right now.

Don’t hesitate to email if you have any questions or want to simply explore the options.

Regards

Bearback

pierscoe1
    Free Member

following this thread with great interest… Whistler or Alps… choices choices (for 1 week)…

Lots of people recommending Les Arcs & Verbier – which guide/package companies would you recommend!?

Tracey

Bike Verbier

chakaping
    Free Member

White room are very good in les arcs area.

Good amount of riding and great food. Nice people too.

tymbian
    Free Member

PeIonally I ‘m going to wait until I’ve longer than a week before I go to Whistler.

Going on the above mentioned websites each have fantastic trails. I like the sound of Finale Ligure as there’s a beach and nightlife of a night time.

wallop

I know I could spend a brilliant week surrounding les arcs especially with a wee italy trip to Pila and La Thuile. So there and thereabouts, for riding which I know is basically perfect for me. But that’s kind of retreading old steps so given the opportunity, Whistler, just because I’ve made it out to france 3 years in a row but going to canada still doesn’t seem on the cards.

This is basically me. So I’m going back to LA next year.

poisonspider
    Free Member

I’d echo the comments about Whistler and it being a long way for a week. I did just that in 2013 and was unlucky enough to have poor weather for 4 of the 6 riding days. It cost me approx £100 per riding hour for the week!!

I’d been before for 10 days which was enough really, not to ride all the trails, you’d much longer than 10 days for that (outside the park), but I was knackered towards the end and that lead to a couple of crashes (and broken ribs).

Flights are around the £800 mark at the minute, a half board plus guiding package is going to be about £500-£550ish with Bear Back or Drift Riding. Total inc lift pass, lunch, insurance, beer etc £1600-£2000 depending on your thirst. That’s a lot of dink for a week.

Booked on Italy for this year, that’ll come in at less than £950 for everything probably.

Milkie
    Free Member

1 Week – Alps
    2 Weeks or more – Whistler with Bear Back, only ever heard good things. 😉

OMG the prices are very tempting for this year!

Where are people staying in Pila??

julzm
    Free Member

Poison spider – where you off to in Italy?

somouk
    Free Member

Finale in Italy would be my choice.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘if you & bike could spend a week anywhere on uplifted trails where would it be?’ is closed to new replies.