Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • If you are thinking of doing an event this year…
  • Harry_the_Spider

…don’t leave your entry until the last minute.

Seeing the frenzy over today’s batch of entries for HTN got me thinking about the dark days in 2010 which nearly saw us go under with quite a large amount of personal debt (thanks again to http://www.JMC.co.uk for bailing us out). As it happens the summer HTN of 2010 was probably the best of our “big” races but we won’t be doing it again.

Events that don’t have a cash backer rely on pre-entries. If they haven’t broken even by a point about 2 months before the day the organisers either have to pull out before they have to start paying the big cheques, or take a risky punt – we did and it was a bit stressful to say the least!

I know that by committing to do something months away you will be taking a chance on the weather, fitness, can’t-be-arsed-on-the-dayness etc, but take the bull by the balls and sign up. Having a date in the diary will give you something to aim at.

Don’t leave it until the last minute because it might not be there.

Message ends.

See a few of you in February in a muddy park 😉

mossimus
    Free Member

Might be an idea to offer financial incentives for early sign up, and/or publish a early closing date for entries. Seems to work very well in the Triathlon worlld.

Without incentive what is the point in people parting with entry fees early?

Of course you need a popular event for this to be viable.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I suspect this (and fc getting greedy) is why the 10@ series is no more 😥

tthew

HTN of 2010 was probably the best of our “big” races but we won’t be doing it again.

😥 If you’d have posted this yesterday I’d have had a chance to join in with your best/worst of 2012 thread.

Harry_the_Spider

The winter HTN will go on until we or the entrants have had enough of it. The big summer 12 hour ones are a thing of the past.

This isn’t about HTN. It is about anybody who fancies doing a race or organising one.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

A lot of it is about media coverage, mountain bike mags/ websites don’t “do” events other than the ones they have a specific involvement with them. Triathlon mags are all about how to go faster at your next event.

If you are into triathlon you do races (proper ones where you are timed rather than “challenges” and other faux races)

If you are into mtb you just go for a ride off road

Northwind

Rorschach – Member

I suspect this (and fc getting greedy) is why the 10@ series is no more

Pre-race entries were way down but the numbers on the day had been falling too so it wasn’t just about people signing up later. Few of their events sold out this year 🙁 Hopefully their enduro stuff will pay off for them though.

(oh, and not FC greed either, Llandegla’s not FC after all)

bones76
    Free Member

So thats the end of the 10@ series then?? I only ever done one of these over at Kiroughtree but as far as events go, personally it was one of the best i have done, really enjoyed it…Shame

Rorschach
    Free Member

After hearing how much Tilhill wanted to host it again, FC (kirroughtree) upped their fee 🙁

(oh,and REALLY? 😳 )

vickypea
    Free Member

I raced HTN in 2012 and in 2011, and was more than happy to enter early for HTN 4, but the places filled up much, much quicker than the previous 2 years and we missed it by a few days back in October. We also do Mountain Mayhem every year and get our entries in 1st thing in the morning on the opening day.

hebdenbiker
    Free Member

Harry, what is the minimum age for riders in the Hit the North youth event? I had a quick look at the British Cycling website but did not find a straight answer. Thanks !

mrmo
    Free Member

not aimed at anyone in particular, but i think this year may see a few events have some problems. last summer was crap, a number of events were basically no fun. trudging through mud looses its appeal and then if you find your car stuck etc…..

It won’t help organisers but i can see late entries happening.

edhornby

The big summer 12 hour ones are a thing of the past.

booo – I totally understand why but…. boooo

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘If you are thinking of doing an event this year…’ is closed to new replies.