Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • If you applied again for your current job, would you get it?
  • oxym0r0n

I’m in the process of leaving primary teaching and the demands being placed on candidates for my job over the next couple of days are quite high.
    I wonder if I’d get a job?!

How about you – would you get your job if you applied now?

ndthornton
    Free Member

Not sure but worth a shot
    Get paid twice for doing the same job!!
    Think they might smell a rat though

avdave2

Well I haven’t had my 3 month review yet to see if I’m going to stay or not.
    It’s now 19 years and nine months late but I’m sure I’ll get it sometime soon and then I’ll be able to answer your question.

jimdubleyou

I’m one of about 3 people with my specific business/technical knowledge, so almost certainly unless one of the other two went for it.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

There’s no efin way on this earth I’d ever apply for this job again

duncancallum

Again I’d hope I’d not be so stoooopid 2nd time.

postierich
    Free Member

No i would not far to militant
    The job these days are rolling 3 month 24hr contracts(which you usually work about 40 hrs) so no sick pay for 12 months and holiday pay is based on a 24hr contract.
    Impossible work loads on a wed/thur/fri bullying managers and the union becoming more isolated due to shrinking full-time workforce!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

They changed the requirements for my last job. So now i couldn’t get it as I’m missing a very specific auditing qualification.

I’m still on the list of people who are allowed to actually do the audit (the list has not been updated yet). I’ve also had an invite to run the course that gets people qualified.

binners

I’m self-employed, and to be honest with you if I realised exactly how much of an annoying **** I actually am to spend the whole day with, theres no way I’d have given me the job

Northwind

I left this job, did something else I didn’t like for a while, me and my boss ended up rewriting this job’s job description then I came back. Career path like a pissed monkey.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Of course I would. I now have “relevant experience”

scotroutes

Easily. I seriously doubt there is anyone more qualified and capable for the job.

SaxonRider

Career path like a pissed monkey.

This. And I wouldn’t have had it any other way. 🙂

Bazz

I’m not sure how I got it the first time round to be honest! I would go with no.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

me and my boss ended up rewriting this job’s job description then I came back.

Ha! Guy i used to work with years ago had that. Handed his notice in, explained it was because of x, y, z tasks that he hated and wasn’t willing to be involved with anymore (bit of job creep over the years). He was so good at a, b, c tasks (company would have been in the shit if he’d gone) that his boss rewrote the job description, had it regraded and handed him his notice letter back with the new job and grading paperwork about 3 days later.

The union went mental.

lunge

I’m in the process of leaving primary teaching

Mind if I ask what you’re leaving it to do?

hjghg5
    Free Member

My current job, yes I would, hopefully (I am at a fairly advanced stages of discussion about a move elsewhere, and if it comes off I predict much panic at the thought of me leaving).

However, I’d never have made it to this stage because if 21 year old me was applying for a training contract now I wouldn’t have got it, and without that I wouldn’t have been able to get the qualifications/experience that I have now.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nope.

Just had the meeting to say I’m going to be made redundant, specific reason that I’m not qualified, despite being moved into the role 2 years ago with the promise of training!

That’s not to say I’d have survived in my old department which has also been cut to a fraction of the size it was when I left. But with hindsight those that were left are doing well in terms of career/responsibilities, even if the pay has been frozen and they’ve been dispersed around the globe on really poor placement T&C’s.

ads678

At the moment my company are looking for an exact replica of me, with slightly less sarcasm and moaning. They’re struggling to find someone with the relevant experience. I might apply and see what pay they’re offering……..

firestarter
    Free Member

No but then we haven’t recruited since 2006

bigblackshed

Yes.

I look at some of the newer recruits and think “how the **** did you get that job”. I look at some of the longer term staff and think “how the **** do you still have a job”

I was getting phoned once or twice a day when I was not on shift, 3 or 4 times a day when I’m wass on holiday. After the last time I put in an overtime form for the hours spent on the phone, it doesn’t happen now surprisingly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I look at some of the newer recruits and think “how the **** did you get that job”.

Contrary to that we’ve been finding the opposite, maybe its the recession meaning that we’ve had the pick of the bunch or maybe it’s the increaced tuition fees focusing students minds, but the last 2-3 years of graduates have been intimidatingly good!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

“There’s no efin way on this earth I’d ever apply for this job again”

You & me both pal, the prison service is……..

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Yes, Id probably get it again, but annoyingly I know that should I ever quit they would have to pay someone a good 20-30% more than Im making to replace me.

slowoldman

Not at my age.

grahamt1980

Yes, no question. Whether i would apply or not is a different question

matt_outandabout

Yes. I’m the only person accredited to do what I do in Scotland…

zero-cool
    Free Member

Yes I would get my job if I applied again. Although it might F up my pension to start again

GolfChick
    Free Member

If i saw my current job being advertised, I wouldn’t even apply and want it never mind would I get it!!

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Supermarket trucking,I think I’d get my job back,Whether or not I’d want to go back if I left the place is another matter..
    Last October I had a meeting with one of our managers, told him I was looking for another job & explained why.He asked me to give it another chance and the main problem I had with the job was being resolved (Bristol & back on a Friday afternoon from Lancs).A few months down the line I’m in a much better place at work,(not been south of Stoke for a few months) but the bloke that asked me to stay has left!

wallop

Just had the meeting to say I’m going to be made redundant, specific reason that I’m not qualified, despite being moved into the role 2 years ago with the promise of training!

That doesn’t sound right. Surely they make the role redundant, not the individual. Have you sought advice?

thegreatape
    Free Member

If you applied again for your current job, would you get it?

I hope not.

ampthill

If applied for this job with my current experience I would have a good chance. But there is a tiny chance they’d find someone better.

But I’m not sure I’d survive the instantly brilliant requirement of teachers that now enter the profession. Particularly in schools

Oh, I teach A-level Physics. We are generally find it hard to find people who can do this. My side kick took about 3 years to replace

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That doesn’t sound right. Surely they make the role redundant, not the individual.

I’m one of 4 in the same nominal group, the groups being halved and what work remains is more suited to a more experienced person, and I’m the least qualified.

Given that we’ve shrunk by about 75% in the last 2 years and barely pay out above statutory I think unfortunately they’ve got the process fairly watertight and beyond negotiation.

rocketman
    Free Member

I wear a lot of hats at our place but only get paid for one of them. I’ve created so much doubt and ambiguity about what it is I actually do that no-one else would have a hope in hell of doing it. Whatever it actually is.

TheFlyingOx

I reckon so. Cost-cutting measures mean that the two folk who did a specific job are now gone, despite the fact that the activities involved have huge environmental and financial implications for the company. I used to do that job and am now the only person at my worksite with the knowledge and experience to ensure things run smoothly in that department.

ste_t
    Free Member

Not a chance.

I left an incredibly successful site after forging a sterling reputation with the powers that be, in order to take on a failing site that would pose a massive challenge to turn it round but to have a better work life balance.

What has actually happened is that I’m trying to polish a massive turd with an ingrained blame culture and resistance to change, whilst my previous site is also struggling as there is no-one driving them. I’ve never had to deal with such selfish, negative people who have no interest in working as a team or being accountable for their actions.

Met a few of the old staff for dinner last night and the best quote I heard about me was one girl saying ‘i **** hated him, but at least he pushed me to be the best I could be at my job.’

Xylene
    Free Member

It is recruitment season just now for me, and I get half a dozen exstaff members reapplying for jobs whenever they are advertised, including one tenacious one who applied for seven separate posts advertised.

I wouldn’t touch any of them, it always raises questions as to why, after xx years – ranging from 3 to 15 they haven’t progressed in their careers, and are reapplying for their old jobs.

That might be narrow minded, but my concerns over how rose tinted their glasses were is the main issue.

mt
    Free Member

I’d never apply for my job and given what I do I would not give to me, even after 15 years doing it.

oxym0r0n

Loving the STW replies 😀

I’m in the process of leaving primary teaching
    Mind if I ask what you’re leaving it to do?

Interestingly they have not found anyone to fill my role yet!

Leaving for a part time job in communications and to set up my own [shudders] graphic design business…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘If you applied again for your current job, would you get it?’ is closed to new replies.