Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • if we leave SKY, will Plus Nets broadband speed be any quicker?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Sick of slow internet, will a change of provider speed things up or do we just have to9 suck up the 3.1Mb/sec speed as thats all wwe can get?

the-muffin-man

if we leave SKY, will Plus Nets broadband speed be any quicker?

Probably not if normal (not fibre) broadband.

Sometimes a different router can improve things.

Cougar
    br
    Free Member

If your current provider can’t get it any faster, then most probably neither can a new one – have you asked either the direct question?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Just called Sky…

[Apparently] our router gets 8mb/sec but due to the number of wifi devices connected, it shares out the signal…

Thats why this PC is showing 3mb/sec

Sky (expert) advices to shut down all connections to the router and reset it so only 1 device is on it. Then I’llsee the true speed…[/apparently]

I did that and now I only get 2mb/sec at my Desktop (HP Envy, 4 months old), 😯

skids
    Free Member

You must be quite far from the exchange, obviouslyy your router does not get 8mb. You can go into your router and check the connection speed

Drac

Yes it can improve with a different provider but it’s no guarantee.

Yeah that’s bollocks about the devices.

Cougar

If you go to the router admin page (http://192.168.0.1 login sky password admin unless a sticker on it says different) you’ll be able to see the speed it’s connecting at. What’s it say there?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

What’s it say there?

tried our sky passowrd and login username and sky and admin as login and passowrds , and combinations of but it doesnt show the speed.

breadcrumb

I’d love to have 3.1mb! I’d love to have 1mb!

pk13

What router is it the old slim one or new chunky one.
    Hard wire a laptop to the box for a true speed reading. Go fiber 30meg is plenty

Cougar

and sky and admin as login and passowrds

Mia culpa, it’s admin | sky, I got it backwards.

Connection speed is shown on the ‘maintenance’ tab on mine, and there’s a Show Statistics link at the bottom of the page. I’ve got the newer hub, but I’m pretty sure the old one had an identical menu structure (it looks totally different but the settings are all in the same place I think).

CraigW
    Free Member

You could also try plugging the router directly into your main phone socket, and unplugging any other phones etc. Sometimes dodgy extension cables can affect the connection speed.

Cougar

Good advice and the test socket behind the master faceplate is a better option. But I want to see what it’s actually doing before making suggestions.

matt_outandabout

Plusnet still ‘throttle’ at busy times, noticeably at our place.

Cougar

Sky don’t, ever. It’s not that. (Unless you’re on their BT Wholesale package rather than LLU anyway, gods only know what that does.)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

What’s it say there?

DownStream Connection Speed 8307 kbps

Cougar

Right. What happens if you disable the router’s WiFi temporarily (Wireless tab / untick Enable Wireless Access Point), use a wired connection for your PC and disconnect anything else plugged into it?
    EDIT: reading back I see you did that. Definitely only one device connected?

Also, what are you using to measure the speed on the PC? What does Ookla show you?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

http://Www.speedtest.net for the test and my 4 month old Hp Envy desktop, wireless connected to the router. Too far away for a wire. full signal shown and in line of sight of the router.

320 ms ping

2.35 mbps download
    0.23 Mbps upload

Daughter is in now though and connected.

Cougar

Well tell her to stop it. It’s a pointless test otherwise, she could be torrenting movies or anything. You need to test with one device connected only.

Have you got anything you can connect on a wired connection?

Cougar

Actually – is she seeing the same speeds?

pk13

Need it wired and no one else on it like cougar has typed. Test socket is a good idea too any Spair filters you could try?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

All devices off WiFi,

36 pings
    7.13 download
    0.85 upload

On just this device connected to the router (Sony tablet) on WiFi.

All devices on WiFi,

35 pings
    3.76 download
    0.85 upload

Maybe sky weren’t talking loblocks after all..

verticalclimber
    Free Member

agree with above about number of devices, most routers are well above actual connection speed so can keep up with what actually receiving. i beleive most lines still owned by BT and the exchanges? so unless being throttled by isp wont make any difference.

if your router is plugged into a socket other then master make sure extension socket is only connected with the 2 required cables within wiring. older installations had 3rd wire for bell on old phones still. can remember colours of required or numbers on terminals required. if 3rd connected it can pick up interference within house. i got 2 extra mb and cable was new that i put in, didnt realise when first connected that only needs 2 of the six now.
    my router is on extension and gets same speed as master socket!

verticalclimber
    Free Member

just seen post what is router, sky used to be netgear i thought?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Router is a SAGEMCOM

Cougar

just seen post what is router, sky used to be netgear i thought?

Sagem typically, unless it’s a new one.

Right. So now it’s a process of elimination to work out which device is causing the slowdown. And the first thing I’d be doing then is a malware scan on it.

30ms-60ms ping times are typical. I’d be trying to pin down which device rammed up the response time into the 300s (assuming it’s not a typo).

verticalclimber
    Free Member

ah no experience of those. defo check wiring though if not on master socket. also u may need new master socket? the bt openworld ones seem to be best ime.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Everything still on WiFi to the router, Dropbox paused on desktop

179 ping
    7.13 download
    1.2 upload.

Edit, ping now 35

Cougar

Dude, it’s training at 8 meg. Whilst cutting the bell wire etc is good advice, that’s not the primary issue here.

A cabled connection test would be telling.

Cougar

Everything still on WiFi to the router, Dropbox paused on desktop

Ping speeds are still shocking. But you’re not going to narrow it down with “everything” connected.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Dude, it’s training at 8 meg.

Dropbox is sucking the speed right down….as I disabled it, download speed went to 7 from 3

What should ping be if it’s half decent?

verticalclimber
    Free Member

does router tell u attenuation and noise on line? cant remember what values but bt told me that once u get a certain amount of noise speed wont increase. our work line was over 4 miles from exchange never got more then 2.5 mb because of noise

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 8307 kbps 1023 kbps
    Line Attenuation 40.5 dB 27.1 dB
    Noise Margin 5.8 dB 8.5 dB

Cougar

What should ping be if it’s half decent?

Read back ^^

verticalclimber
    Free Member

downstream snr seems fine according to website just found. how far from exchange are u? adsl2 drops off quickly after certain distance. if ur not sure there are sites that can work out rough distance etc

pk13

Last lot of results are ok you need to upgrade from the golf ball router to a newer black one they handle more devices.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Ta all for the help. Desktop ( Dropbox actually) is knocking it down.

I’ll pressure Sky for a new box or sack them off for Bt maybe.

Cougar

The box is probably fine (unless it’s -really- old), I had a Sagem for years on a connection training at almost twice that speed and it was fine.

robdob
    Free Member

I am in temporary accommodation and currently have 8mb Shared with 3 other people. I really really really miss my Virgin basic service of 50mb. 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘if we leave SKY, will Plus Nets broadband speed be any quicker?’ is closed to new replies.