Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • (If) war is declared on Russia what does this really mean ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Should we be s(h)iting ourselves ?

Seems like a pretty silly thing to fight Russia…

Could it happen ?

Is the British government fluffing up its wings etc. ?

How can it be resolved ?

I feel slightly nervous about he whole thing…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’s all bluster.

willard

I really fail to see how we can declare war on Russia, at least unilaterally. No, I take that back. I fail to see how anyone could, even as a group. Russia is economically too important to a large chunk of the EU and so they will choose to not do it and the US is to broke to start one.

Sanctions are probably all we will do.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Pretend sanctions is all we will do.

DezB
    Free Member

Seems like a pretty silly thing to fight Russia…

Is that why they’re doing what they are?

hora
    Free Member

We liberated Iraq, Afghanistan and the Balkans. I don’t see why Russia can’t liberate part of a country that doesn’t want to be part of Europe.

Yes the referendum you say was hooky. Still why do 50% of Crimean Officers want to defect to the Russian military?

shermer75
    Free Member

We’d have to give up all of our bikes to be melted down for the war effort

yossarian
    Free Member

It won’t happen.

America and her lackies (us at the front) don’t have the resources or stomach for a protracted ground offensive. Putin knows this and has brilliantly manoeuvred the entire crisis towards this question

And China watches on…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

If we are stupid enough to pick an economic fight with Russia, I hope they cut off the gas supply ASAP. It’s the only way of getting our expansionist EU leaders to wind their necks in.

seosamh77
    Free Member

what’s the cause if this latest bout of paranoia? 😆 what nonsense are the news channels peddling today?

ratherbeintobago

The thing that really worries me is if the Russians pull a similar stunt in the Baltic; the difference there is that the Baltic States are in NATO and then we get into Article V territory.

If we are stupid enough to pick an economic fight with Russia, I hope they cut off the gas supply ASAP. It’s the only way of getting our expansionist EU leaders to wind their necks in.

We’re relatively independent of Russian gas supplies; Germany OTOH…

popstar
    Free Member

I sense there is so much of butt hurt, it does look like Ukraine spring didn’t go to plan and US waving stick of righteousness at Russia sending EU cronies, who are crippled by financial dependancy on Russia. Yet US fluff about its own ideal moral ground which themselve don’t follow.

Its clear, world politik is not unilateral anymore.

US needs to put their monies to match their big mouths.

popstar
    Free Member

^^^ Baltic offensive.

Do you really believe that Russia’s next move to declare war on Baltic? I know Lithuania declared war on Russia, but no one noticed apart from Lithuanians, some of them laughing at the idea.

ratherbeintobago

I don’t know; but there are large ethnic Russian populations in the Baltic States so there are some parallels.

I suspect the Russians don’t really have an appetite for WW3 either.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Noone is going to declare war on Russia.

The hypocrisy of the west is truely staggering in this one. I don’t see why Russia didn’t propose a ‘proper’ referendum however. They’d have won anyway and would be in a far stronger position to legitimise their positon.

binners

Nobody is going to do a bloody thing. Facts on the ground are all that matters. The City of London is awash with billions in bent Russian cash, being laundered. Europe is totally dependent on Russian energy supplies.

Putin knows that he’s got everyone by the short and curlies. Obama can bluster all he likes. He’s no European allies now, no matter what anyone says. What happens now is entirely down to the topless shark-puncher, with his mahoosive approval ratings at home for how he’s played this so far. His domestic audience are loving this sticking two fingers up at the west! Its like Thatchers Falklands moment x 100

If he fancies annexing another couple of countries, he will. If he doesn’t, he won’t. He knows that its all just bluff, and he can do what he likes, with no real penalty to pay. So he’ll ignore everyone and do whatever it is he plans to do

grum
    Free Member

We liberated Iraq, Afghanistan and the Balkans. I don’t see why Russia can’t liberate part of a country that doesn’t want to be part of Europe.

Yes the referendum you say was hooky. Still why do 50% of Crimean Officers want to defect to the Russian military?

I seem to remember the Russians weren’t so keen on supporting self-determination in Chechnya.

I do think our reporting on Russian affairs generally is massively biased though. We still portray them in terms of evil Soviet warmongers with no attempt made to understand their underlying motivations.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I sense there is so much of butt hurt, it does look like Ukraine spring didn’t go to plan and US waving stick of righteousness at Russia sending EU cronies, who are crippled by financial dependancy on Russia. Yet US fluff about its own ideal moral ground which themselve don’t follow.

Its clear, world politik is not unilateral anymore.

US needs to put their monies to match their big mouths.

Don’t kid yourself, the Russian economy is ridiculously vulnerable. They won’t cut off gas supplies to Europe. If he did he would be starting Cold War 2 and it would end just the same way as it did the last time, with starving Russians and people lining up to spend a weeks salary on a Big Mac.

The only thing Russians are good at making are AK47’s, everything else they make is utter crap. They are not an economy that can make up for lost revenues in oil and gas.

I’m a lefty, however, with that said there are so many utterly hopeless lefties on here I’m half inclined to take a **** revolver to the shed and end it all.

I do think our reporting on Russian affairs generally is massively biased though. We still portray them in terms of evil Soviet warmongers with no attempt made to understand their underlying motivations.

Do Mexico and Canada fear the yanks as much as Finns, Poles, Latvians, Chechens, Georgians, and Czechs fear the Russians?

gogg
    Free Member

Better pensions?

MoreCashThanDash

We won’t go to war over Ukraine.

If he invades a NATO country, then it gets tricky.

Ideally, we could go for sanctions. Hell, if we confiscated Russian assets over here we could halve the deficit. Actually, dodgy russian money in london helped fuel the crash and our supposed recovery.

The UK would be less affected by sanctions than a lot of Europe, less dependent on Russian gas. I was astonished to see the other day that France has a $1 billion contract to build ships for Russia. How the hell did Russia sink to that level? The electrics will be a nightmare just as the warranty runs out 😆

grum
    Free Member

Do Mexico and Canada fear the yanks as much as Finns, Poles, Latvians, Chechens, Georgians, and Czechs fear the Russians?

Not quite sure what that’s supposed to mean. All I was meaning was that there seems to be very little or no mention of this context in any of the news reporting I see:

The causes of the unfolding crisis in Ukraine are many, but most fundamentally its roots can be found in an enormously consequential decision made by the United States and its allies in the early 1990s. Faced with a strategic challenge of constructing a new security architecture for post-Cold War Europe, the decision was made to embark on a program of gradual NATO expansion to the east.

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/mar/04/opinion/la-oe-walker-ukraine-nato-expansion-20140304

chewkw
    Free Member

I think they should just start the war now. i.e. both sides should stop pussy footing.

I bet USA etc are chickens worst still for EU. Go on make the first move.

As for Russia get your nuke ready and make sure you use it big time as I want to see mushroom cloud/smoke all over. Make sure you have a few of them flying to the world most populated countries as well.

Zombie maggots must be culled. Simple.

🙄

Dark-Side

Do Mexico and Canada fear the yanks as much as Finns fear the Russians?

The Finn’s don’t fear the Russians.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

We still portray them in terms of evil Soviet warmongers with no attempt made to understand their underlying motivations.

Would their underlying motivation be the oil and gas drilling rights within their new territorial waters off the coast of Crimea?

boxfish
    Free Member

Russia has the resources.

China has the money.

They dont need the approval of the US/Europe.

The game has changed.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

Russia has the resources.

China has the money.

Resources are only valuable if there is someone willing to buy them. If you cut 739 million people from your customer list then the prices for your resources elsewhere are going to dwindle as you have to flood the market elsewhere to make up for the shortfall in revenue. This would be economic suicide for Russia considering it’s current economic position.

China has it’s own problems as well, lots of their investments are in American debt – which the Americans could wipe out by driving massive inflation if they really wanted to.

Putin isn’t doing this because he can, he’s doing it because he has to – to keep hold of political power – power that is or was slowly slipping from him.

chewkw
    Free Member

Finns should have Benneli M4 to protect them unlike other countries nearby.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Finns should have Benneli M4

Oh FFS…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If we cut our financial centres off from Russia then the Russian economy will go down the drain far faster than Europe. The Russian stock market would crash overnight and I imagine most of Russia would become insolvent. You might say the oligarchs with all their cash can keep things going but they wont have access to the financial institutions to utilise that cash. EU makes up for 41% of Russia’s exports if they decide to stop exports to the EU then it would just exasperate Russia’s economic woes and expedite the process towards complete economic collapse. Soon enough they will have to give in or they will end up like North Korea.

It was economics that led the West to win the cold war and it is how we should look to win this one if Putin starts becoming more aggressive again.

binners

grum
    Free Member

Would their underlying motivation be the oil and gas drilling rights within their new territorial waters off the coast of Crimea?

Possibly – but more likely the NATO expansion in E Europe mentioned above.

racefaceec90

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTOQUnvI3CA[/video]

CaptJon
    Free Member

The government’s ‘sanctions’ are pathetic. But can be explained by this:

Pigface
    Free Member

No they just hate them expecialy the older ones who live in Karelia

HansRey

Finns do fear a Russian invasion but they accept that it’s unlikely. I’ve heard a few times now that people are stockpiling dry food and other goods at their homes, just in case. They’re more concerned with loss of trade and would be late to join any armed conflict.

There’s a lot of Russian immigrants in Finland and it’s causing problems with some sections of society. The Russians that I’ve met have come for desire of a more equal and better supported society, seeing Russia as a dead-end. It has put strains on schools, hospitals and the upper end of the housing market (particularly Helsinki and the east). I think that those Russian immigrants will be nervous at the thought of any further conflict with Russia.

shermer75
    Free Member

No way Hans Rey!

Dark-Side

I’d say the Finns are wary of the Russians based on their volatile history with the country, and would certainly be concerned over the repercussions of any potential invasion, as would any nation.

To say the Finns are in fear of the Russians is inaccurate though, certainly amongst my family and Finnish friends their is no fear of Russia. There is a healthy degree of dislike though!

kimbers
    Tom_W1987
    Free Member

To be fair, Finland does seem to be populated soley by descendants of Chuck Norris.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War

😯 @ the stats

Maybe we need to buy ourselves a battalion of Finns to complement the Ghurkas.

Pigface
    Free Member

There is a word in Finnish; Sisu.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘(If) war is declared on Russia what does this really mean ?’ is closed to new replies.