Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • If there was a mobile bike repair service…..
  • rickmeister

If there was a mobile bike repair service that would come to you and repair your bike, would you use it? Appreciate that many on here are well capable of fixing your bike and LBS loyalty but, if you had a problem and instead of having to take your bike to a shop could get it fixed at work or at home so you were up and running ASAP…. would you make that call…?

Swiftacular
    Free Member

A lad from here has just set one up local to us, as it happens. Not sure how business is going for him, but the lbs is full of repairs. I did question how he could actually make money from it, after taking into account petrol and the like, but he seems quite optimistic. But to answer your question, no id never use a mobile service. Only thing i use service wise at lbs is wheelbuilding service, because he’s much better than me.

mattstreet

There is one:
    http://www.eta.co.uk/breakdown/cycle_rescue

Wouldn’t use it mind…

rickmeister

Swifty, maybe its the wrong place to ask as most people on here, by default I guess are tech – capable…. thanks for the reply though…

Bottom brackets? Brake bleeding? Cartridge bearing replacement? Fork fitting? Pad replacement? Linkage bearing replacement? Fork service?

Would you call?

rickmeister

Thanks Matt, any other opinions? Service not just get you home with the problem unsolved…

dave_aber
    Free Member

I used to do this as a teenager, riding around on an old 5-speed erm ‘racer’ with a pannier full of tools. It got me out and I did earn enough cash to fund my bikery habits.

Wouldn’t bother now though; I’ve changed, bikes have changed, lots of net-based how-to guides, etc.

abductee
    Free Member

Dr Bike Nottingham

This bloke was hired by my company for a cycle to work promotion and I got my gear change and brakes sorted out. He’s been in business since 2005 so someone is calling him.

I_Ache
    Free Member

My mom suggested I did something like that but I was convinced there was no money in it. However if you can convince the apollo types that its better than going to halfords as you will come to them to change their innertube instead of them having to stick the bike in the car and drive to a shop. Then you might have a business. There are loads of variations you could do. Replacement bike for major mechanicals at short notice you could meet them at the trail if their bike brakes lend them a cheep but good bike (say a 456) and take theirs away to be fixed while they get on and enjoy the ride. You would need some sort of mobile credit card machine to accept payment.

The start up costs wouldnt be that large if you already have most of the tools and a decent size car or a van.

gtkid
    Free Member

I run one, as a sideline to my main non-cycling business. Not aimed at stw type people, most stuff is gear fettling, headsets, rear mechs, punctures, bottom brackets and the like. Individuals are not a great earner but have got into a few companies that get me to come to them and do staff days etc.

mattstreet

rickmeister – like you say, I think I’d be with most people on the forums here in being capable of getting the bike into a state where it could at least get me home to be properly fixed, which means I wouldn’t use it.

gtkid
    Free Member

Do you mean mobile or breakdown?

mattstreet

Ah, see what you mean now. Thought you meant an AA-type thing for bikes! 😳

Still would do most stuff myself, but if it was a matter of saving time or urgency (or I was feeling particularly hamfisted), yeah, probably would be tempted.

rickmeister

gkid, both really. Home call for stuff that wears out eg, bb replacements but no tools/skills, brakes soft and need bleeding on the spot, replace a chain… as well as a quick response to breakdown.

Not uk but just local to a city area…. Fast response, on the spot repair or at a time to suit you inc evenings…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

This chap is in Bristol, he’s good..

http://tayloredcycles.com/mobile.html

rickmeister

Thanks King Tut… but absolutely not bristol but in amongst a major city…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘If there was a mobile bike repair service…..’ is closed to new replies.