Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)
  • If there was a 2nd Brexit referendum, what could the question actually be?
  • br
    Free Member

Rather than it getting lost in the monster Brexit post, if there was a 2nd referendum what could the Yes/No question actually be?

Do you accept the terms offered by the EU to the UK?

And, since I understand that even if Article 50 is instigated we still have until the end of the 23rd month to actual decide whether we’d leave or not – would we leave this 2nd referendum until then?

Or have we now decided that a simple Yes/No isn’t it possible?

mrblobby
    Free Member

You think we’ll know what the deal is in 2 years? I’ll be some hastily cobbled together interim deal and it’ll take years until we reach a settled position.

zippykona

Are you a complete **** or not?

ferrals
    Free Member

I understand that even if Article 50 is instigated we still have until the end of the 23rd month to actual decide whether we’d leave or not

I’m not 100% that this is the case. It’s been mentioned in the press but while A50 doesn’t explicitly say we can’t change our mind, it doesnt say we can either? I think the option to withdraw from our withdrawal would need confirmation from the EU in some way before we trigger A50.

Logically, were there to be a second referendum, it would have to be once the full plan* was agreed to and then it would be ‘Should the UK leave the EU based on the proposal of xyz?’

I think its a pretty stupid idea though because about 20% of the voting populace would read the proposal, about 20% of that 20% would actually understand it, and the rest would vote based on whatever their particular favourite media suggests.

*EDIT – insofar as the plan can be full given the uncertainties

theotherjonv

Simple Yes-No question?

“In the light of everything that has been revealed by both sides since June 23rd, are you out of your ****ing minds”

enfht
    Free Member

“when brexiteers rise up and burn your town down, will you hold yourself partly responsible?”

seosamh77
    Free Member

Did we make a **** of this?

Drac

Will the question be on the side of the bus?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

If I give you £10,000 will you vote for me?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Don’t think it would matter what the question was. People voted for idealogical reasons often far removed from the effectiveness of the European Union.

footflaps

“when brexiteers rise up and burn your town down, will you hold yourself partly responsible?”

In your dreams, they’ll just go back to moaning about how great it was when we had slavery…..

philxx1975
    Free Member

If people still vote to leave will you still moan relentlessly or accept the result?

seosamh77
    Free Member

philxx1975 – Member
    If people still vote to leave will you still moan relentlessly or accept the result?

Happily accept it. Will you now agree to another ref?

oldtalent
    Free Member

Are you a treacherous anti democracy moaner should cover it.
    Shame this isn’t buried in the other thread.

enfht
    Free Member

So that’s a No from footflaps. He’ll be first against the wall then.

enfht
    Free Member

“Do you also agree to forfeit future democratic votes?”

kerley
    Free Member

If it were to be run again it needs an objective information approach rather than two sides in battle.

The most likely benefits from leaving
    The most likely losses from leaving

Also some simple facts around immigration and the actual impact to the country to try and remove the racist vote.

Also needs to be a large majority either way for it to count. 52 to 48 is clearly not good enough.

longwayhome
    Free Member

If I give you £10,000 take many tens of thousands of pounds and your children’s future from you will you vote for me?

FTFY

hatter

Judging by the age breakdown of the people voted leave they’re less likely to burn your town down and more likely to grab the nearest pitchfork and then go “Now what did I rise up for again?”

And besides my town voted 2/1 to remain, we’d be more likely to rise up if we do leave.

theotherjonv

“If this booth was a time machine, where do you want to go?”

June 23rd 2016 []

June 23rd 1716 []

bikebouy
    Free Member

“You’ve proven you are a moron and a racist so, If you had a brain, an engaged brain, one that didn’t have the attention span of X Factor, weigh up the facts (not the doughnuts) and realise that you’ve single handedly ruined a Great Country, which way would you vote now”

But you’d never get that on a Bus, but I would happily tattoo it on FlatulentFarrage and BorisJingoist’s foreheads.

You know where I stand on this subject.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

We are so far past the point that voters could be swayed by reasoned argument that it seems pointless trying.

I think the only option is to leave the EU and let the country experience the reality for a few years then as people realise that they are becoming socially, culturally and economically poorer public opinion may shift enough to try and rejoin again but probably on a much worse deal than we have currently.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

best of three?

allthegear
    Free Member

“Have you, at any time, fantasised about Nigel Farage?”

Rachel

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

There is the possibility that Le Pen wins in France, holds a Frexit referendum and the EU starts to unravel before we even get the chance to invoke article 50….

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Would you like a non-Pinocchio version of the consequences of staying in or leaving? Yes/no

jambalaya
    Free Member

And, since I understand that even if Article 50 is instigated we still have until the end of the 23rd month to actual decide whether we’d leave or not – would we leave this 2nd referendum until then?

No A50 is irreversable without approval of all 27 members, you can’t extend it or cancel it without their approval. This renders any second referendum effectively pointless (for Remainers) as a no would deliver hard Brexit.

Ref 2: Do you want a civil war yes/no ?

On a modestly more serious note the seemingly obvious question would be are you happy with the deal – however that’s almost certain to be no result as there will be leavers happy to accept say a budget contribution and those who will say no. Add that to all the Remainers who’d vote no and you wouldn’t get a win

The only reason anyone is suggesting a second referendum is they want to prevent Brexit, discussing the “deal” is a total red herring (imo of course)

jambalaya
    Free Member

There is the possibility that Le Pen wins in France, holds a Frexit referendum and the EU starts to unravel before we even get the chance to invoke article 50….

I have pointed this out also, plus we have Austrian Presidential re-run in Dec (50/50 tie last time Greens/Far Right), Dutch election with potentially very eueosceptic outcome (Dutch already passed a law saying no new treaties without a Referendum), French in April/May and Germans in October. The picture is very unclear.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Apologies in advance, I couldn’t resist. A Referendum on the following …

“Have you, at any time, fantasised about Nigel Farage, Rachel ?”

“Have you, at any time, fantasised about Nigel Farage and Rachel ?”

“Have you, at any time, fantasised about Nigel Farage or Rachel ?”

For the avoidance of doubt this supposed to be a joke … IGMC

munrobiker
    Free Member

oldtalent – Member – Block User – Quote
    Are you a treacherous anti democracy moaner should cover it.
    Shame this isn’t buried in the other thread.

POSTED 44 MINUTES AGO #
    enfht – Member – Block User – Quote
    So that’s a No from footflaps. He’ll be first against the wall then.

POSTED 42 MINUTES AGO #
    enfht – Member – Block User – Quote
    “Do you also agree to forfeit future democratic votes?”

POSTED 40 MINUTES AGO #

There speaks two people who don’t understand democracy.

I think it should be “Do you want your country to be shit?”.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Do I look super in this?

enfht
    Free Member

Are you so utterly deluded that you’ll never grasp why others really voted leave and in order to process the result in your soppy brain continue to call brexiteers racist bigots?

jekkyl

Did you vote to leave previously based on bigoted long held beliefs but now realise that the costs of things in shops have gone up so regret your decision?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I think all the Reaminers (i’m one of them) need to start accepting that we are DEFINITELY LEAVING THE EU (if it doesn’t collapse first).

What we need is for the Left (Labour, Lib Dems, Green) to get it’s sh1t together and start being a lot more vocal about a plan for Brexit and a vision of the UK outside the EU as an alternative to May who is doing it all behind closed doors and seems to be taking a big lurch to the Right.

Trying to cancel it or have another referendum is a waste of time.

petefromearth

Still waiting for an explanation actually

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

On a modestly more serious note the seemingly obvious question would be are you happy with the deal – however that’s almost certain to be no result as there will be leavers happy to accept say a budget contribution and those who will say no. Add that to all the Remainers who’d vote no and you wouldn’t get a win

So the referendum could only have been won so long as the question was framed by a background of idealistic concepts that individual voters could interpret however they saw fit, but if the country were presented with the actual best deal the government can negotiate then the vote would almost certainly go the other way.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Perhaps, maybe Cameron should have thought of that. I think he assumed he would win or the result could be ignored (non legally binding).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Also some simple facts around immigration and the actual impact to the country to try and remove the racist vote.

Well if Leave would have been allowed to have had access to the civil service maybe we would have got that. As only Remain had access and failed to make a complelling case based on actual data I can only assume that the data was not helpful to their case.

br
    Free Member

Perhaps, maybe Cameron should have thought of that. I think he assumed he would win or the result could be ignored (non legally binding). [/I]

Don’t disagree, except it wasn’t (and isn’t) legally binding – says so in the actual legislation.

oldnpastit

Do you accept the terms offered by the EU to the UK?

How about:

Which country can I move all my savings and pensions to until all this sorts itself out?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘If there was a 2nd Brexit referendum, what could the question actually be?’ is closed to new replies.