Viewing 37 posts - 81 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • If the universe is 13.7 billion years old…
  • andrewh
    Free Member

I am of the opinion that if something ever gets so complex that it’s not understandable then it’s wrong.

“Those who are not shocked when they first come across quantum theory cannot possibly have understood it.”
    ? Niels Bohr, Volume II – Essays 1932-1957 on Atomic Physics and Human Knowledge

mrmo
    Free Member

jumpupanddown, which suggests you have no understanding of statistics or science.

Are you suggesting that a god for which there is no evidence is better than science for which there is a reasonable amount of evidence?

andrewh
    Free Member

mrmo, you can’t arue with a religous person, they know they are right. A scientist knows he is wrong but hopes one day to be a little less wrong.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jumpupanddown
    Free Member

jumpupanddown, which suggests you have no understanding of statistics or science.

Are you suggesting that a god for which there is no evidence is better than science for which there is a reasonable amount of evidence?

i dont believe in god, i just dont think a lot of experiments are as conclusive as some wish to believe. Any way i think we should poor all our research budgets in to more important things like finding a cure to AIDS,as if we dont the human race is ****.

seosamh77
    Free Member

why do the god botherers always mess up these threads. It’s the same on every forum I’ve seen this subject on, descends in to trying to explain what science is to the superstitious… I really don’t understand what is so hard to get that science is a search for knowledge and everything can be disproved, nothing is set in stone.

mrmo
    Free Member

JUmpupanddown, toss a coin what is the outcome? toss a coin 100 times how many heads how many tails, toss a coin a 1000 times how many heads how many tails?

There is no need to run an experiment an infinite number of times, however running it once will also be insufficient.

Ever heard of pure research whether you like it or not nuclear power is the result of pointless research.
    A cure for aids? there are worse diseases and for aids the solution is known, whether people accept it and change behaviour is a different discussion.

I suppose you could argue that the scientific consensus for the transmission of Aids is wrong and that it has nothing to do with HIV…..

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

JUmpupanddown, toss a coin what is the outcome? toss a coin 100 times how many heads how many tails, toss a coin a 1000 times how many heads how many tails?

if you did it enough times maybe just once it could land on its side

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member

why do the god botherers always mess up these threads

What “god botherers” and what messed up thread ?

Is this some form of paranoia ?

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

Ever heard of pure research whether you like it or not nuclear power is the result of pointless research.
    A cure for aids? there are worse diseases and for aids the solution is known, whether people accept it and change behaviour is a different discussion.

yes money wasted on pure research is not spent curing aids, feeding people etc.. i think that that pure research could be used to find new sources of energy rather than proving or disproving stuff that does not matter to most of the human race as this point in time. Why not find a way of building a machine that can move atoms around so that you can make some sort of replicator device, and thus provide a unlimited amount of food for all.

Junkyard
    Free Member

EDIT:: given ^^^^^^ you have either watched too much sci fi . smoked too much skunk or you are very young …had i read that I would not have wasted my time replying and i cannot be bothered googling a face palm for you

Unless an experiment has been carried out an infinite amount of times it is not possible to conclude that the same thing will always happen.

well you have not posted an infintie times but i conclude everything you say is misinfomred nonsense.
    Secondly do you understand probablity or infintity [ that rhetorical you dont but i doubt you know why yet. If you perform anything infinitely then everything possible happens – hence the monkey at keyboard typing shakespeare.

if you did it enough times maybe just once it could land on its side

if we did it enough times it would land on its side there is no maybe or could – seriously go read some stuff this is fairly low level basic stuff you are failing to understand. No one will take your criticism seriously as each post shows your ingnorance/lack of comprehension – i am not saying you are thick – there is not enough data – but I think it is highly likely to sa sigma 5 level you are out your depth and confused
    I refer you to my earlier point about sh the grown up are talking and you understanding too little

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

I refer you to my earlier point about sh the grown up are talking and you understanding too little

i couldn’t give a shit mate, none of youre discoverer matter, the human race has 50 years left tops.

mrmo
    Free Member

i couldn’t give a shit mate, none of youre discoverer matter, the human race has 50 years left tops.

oh dear, oh dear….

i might give you civilisation as we know it, but the human race will be around a bit longer. Rome collapsed mankind is still here, Even Easter island is still inhabited and that probably marks the most extreme man made catastrophe to date.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

oh dear, oh dear….

i might give you civilisation as we know it, but the human race will be around a bit longer. Rome collapsed mankind is still here, Even Easter island is still inhabited and that probably marks the most extreme man made catastrophe to date.

as soon as some nut job get hold of some atomic weapons things are going to get bad, really bad. The invention of atomic weapons was a historical game changer, that and the limited supply of oil etc.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you dont care but you post your opinions on a debating forum 😯

Look seriously go learn some stuff you seem to have a keen and inquiring mind use it because at present your views are ill informed and ludicrous

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

you dont care but you post your opinions on a debating forum

Look seriously go learn some stuff you seem to have a keen and inquiring mind use it because at present your views are ill informed and ludicrous

have you ever heard of mutual assured destruction, the human race is **** sooner or later than button will be pressed.

mrmo
    Free Member

oil means nothing, mankind was about before and it will be about after. nuclear weapons, not nice i’ll grant, they could quite easily render the most of europe uninhabitable if used in volume, a nuclear winter again not nice, but some amazonian tribe will go on untouched.

mrmo
    Free Member

🙄

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

oil means nothing, mankind was about before and it will be about after. nuclear weapons, not nice i’ll grant, they could quite easily render the most of europe uninhabitable if used in volume, a nuclear winter again not nice, but some amazonian tribe will go on untouched.

the Americans have enough fire power to burn the entire surface of the globe 14 times. Nothing would survive, were talking Hydrogen bombs not atomic bombs huge difference

I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

then you have to take account of all the biological and chemical weapons that have been produced

mrmo
    Free Member

WHAT THE **** DO YOU THINK A H-BOMB IS!!!!!!!!!!!!

may i give you a very basic science lesson as it is clear you haven’t a clue.

a nuclear bomb is a bomb that uses nuclei to cause an explosion, you can split an atom or you can fuse two atoms. both can result in the release of energy.

So your suggesting that the US are going to launch a strike on the amazonian basin, that they are going to attack every atol in the Pacific ocean? that it is worth there while attacking st helena?

how much pot have you had? you obviously have some serious paranoia issues?

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

WHAT THE **** DO YOU THINK A H-BOMB IS!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is a h bomb

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOwEcLiK4cA&feature=relmfu[/video]

it was fired at half power, there are 10000s of these thing waiting to go off. we are **** mate. And yes they have the power to cover the globe with atomic explosions, dont you get that.

Mark

Er.. How do you fire an atomic weapon at ‘half power’?
    Does it have a dial on it?
    Does it go up to 11?

🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

the Americans have enough fire power to burn the entire surface of the globe 14 times.

No they don’t.

Unless you mean Yellowstone Park.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

as soon as some nut job get hold of some atomic weapons things are going to get bad, really bad.

So Stalin was a sane well-balanced individual then ?

As was George “God-speaks-to-me” Bush of course.

And there was a time when some felt that Ronald Reagan wanted to bring us all closer to God by triggering nuclear armageddon.

BTW, I like the “the human race has 50 years left tops”, that’s a little beauty that is…….I’ll try to remember it 🙂

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

Nobel Peace Laureate Obama will shortly decide what to do with America’s 5,500 strategic nuclear weapons — that possess enough destructive power to destroy the planet at least five times over. Some experts say it’s 50 times over.

Eric Margolis http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-margolis/do-we-really-need-to-blow_b_491367.html

Total known land area occupied by U.S. nuclear weapons bases and facilities: 15,654 square miles

U.S. Nuclear Weapons Cost Study Project

jwt
    Free Member

Just to gives us all some perspective,
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/525347
    posted on here before by someone else.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

so what is out side the universe?

jwt
    Free Member

Given your question I’m not sure you understand how the ‘universe’ works.

CountZero

In a sense, you are at the centre of the universe. How does that make you feel?

Well, seeing as how I thought the world revolved around me, finding out that the universe does is very gratifying indeed.
    Down on your knees, worthless scum, and grovel!

Junkyard
    Free Member

so what is out side the universe?

your logic system?
    Your evidence?
    the fabled singletrack behind the nationwide?

Nobel Peace Laureate Obama will shortly decide what to do with America’s 5,500 strategic nuclear weapons — that possess enough destructive power to destroy the planet at least five times over. Some experts say it’s 50 times over.

written by a journalist who gave no reference for the “research” nor who the experts are – anything more credible?

What does destroy the planet mean as well in the context ?
    Wipe out/end its existence??

CountZero

An international team of astronomers using the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope has discovered a ghostly ring of dark matter that was formed long ago during a titanic collision between two massive galaxy clusters. It is the first time that a dark matter distribution has been found that differs substantially from the distribution of ordinary matter.

This image shows the galaxy cluster Cl 0024+17 (ZwCl 0024+1652) as seen by Hubble’s Advanced Camera for Surveys. The image displays faint faraway background galaxies that had their light bent by the cluster’s strong gravitational field. By mapping the distorted light and using it to deduce how dark matter is distributed in the cluster, astronomers spotted the ring of dark matter. One of the background galaxies is located about two times further away than the yellow cluster galaxies in the foreground, and has been multiple-imaged into five separate arc-shaped components, seen in blue.

Credit:

NASA, ESA, M.J. Jee and H. Ford (Johns Hopkins University)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’ll be fecked if I can see the “ghostly ring of dark matter” CountZero.

Whereabouts in the picture is it ?

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

The dark matter distribution is deduced from the multiple images of very distant background galaxies that have been gravitationally lensed by the dark matter.

They are the multiple blue streaky blobs that are distributed in multiple arcs around the central set of nearby fuzzy blobs (galaxies).

Many of the blue streaks/arcs are actually multiple images of the same galaxy…

…HTH. EDIT: maybe just saying the same as above though 🙁

Paul

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

HTH.

Well if I’m perfectly honest, no it doesn’t.

Are you saying that it can’t be seen just “deduced” ? Excellent, I’m sitting here like a prize pillock straining my eyes in an attempt to get a butchers at this “ghostly ring of dark matter” and the fecker can’t even be seen. What was the point of the picture ffs.

Right that’s it……I’m logging off 😐

CountZero

It’s this area that’s important; see the blue galaxies, they’re all the same one, repeated by the bending of light by the dark matter’s gravity well. You can’t see it ‘cos it’s dark.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

bencooper – Member
    …the most complex thing in the universe, by quite a long way, is between your ears…

What…a hat? Well, I’ll be buggered…

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

repeated by the bending of light by the dark matter’s gravity well

More like the mass of the visible and dark matter warping space/time within which the light would still appear to be travelling in a straight line, but resulting in multiple images for us to observe…

…HTH.

Viewing 37 posts - 81 through 117 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘If the universe is 13.7 billion years old…’ is closed to new replies.