Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)
  • If the universe is 13.7 billion years old…
  • randomjeremy
    Free Member

Scumbag universe. Already infinite; keeps expanding

Kevevs
    Free Member

So they’re just making shit up.

That’s how things get discovered and found out though. Do you not agree with a bit o scietifc experimentation and leeway? The human race has come up with some good stuff with daft ideas even in the last hundred years.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s science for you. You just make shit up. Then you test it – that is the important bit.

Kevevs
    Free Member

like an experimental soup using your wierd neighbours leftovers. Something like that. That’s science. Test that shit you bastards..

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am of the opinion that if something ever gets so complex that it’s not understandable then it’s wrong

I agree, you are wrong 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

The funny thing is that the universe is actually pretty simple – the most complex thing in the universe, by quite a long way, is between your ears…

Junkyard
    Free Member

not on this forum

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ernie, why not type another essay instead. Someone might even read it.

Ooh! I like Ernie’s ‘essays’. They’re thoughtful, stimulative and informative. 😀

Unlike you, Flashy. 😐

A lot of that science spacey stuff is cobblers. Scientists need to come up with stuff what sounds really clever and compulcated, so’s they can keep getting their research grants to come up with stuff like ‘Ducks like water’.

No it’s true, look:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/may/20/research-proves-ducks-like-water

See? Three hundred thousand pounds, to come up with that? What a joke.

And what about that Beagle 2 Mars thing? Fifty million quid; borked as soon as it took off from Earth. Scientists dunalf seem to waste a lot of money on vanity projects, whilst millions starve or can’t even get clean water.

Ooh yeah let’s spend trillions sending probes into outer space rather than sorting out the problems down here on Earth!

Yeah. Up Uranus.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Going back to the balloon analogy. If we kept going in one direction would you theoretically eventually end up back at Earth then?

ketchup
    Free Member

Possibly… would probably be due to the fact that there is a lot of gravity in the universe, so that if you tried to go in a straight line (and you would perceive that you were going in a straight line) then the gravity in the universe would cause you to go round in a big circle. Although it would take you that long that even if you could survive the journey chances are the earth wouldn’t be here any more.

bencooper
    Free Member

Going back to the balloon analogy. If we kept going in one direction would you theoretically eventually end up back at Earth then?

Problem is, the balloon keeps expanding as you try to go around it…

seosamh77
    Free Member

aye I understand the time thing, even at the speed of light it’d take you 28 billion years, assuming the visable universe is all there is(which I doubt). crazy amounts.

Biggest problem with explaining this is that we try to explain the universe in science that we understand, my reckoning is that the universe plays by rules we haven’t even thought of yet, so to even have a chance of getting it right, we need to find out what the language of the universe is so to speak. Which i don’t think we even know. I’m another one who wouldn’t mind seeing where we’ve got to on this question in another 1000 years.

mrmo
    Free Member

The difference between science and religion, science you make something up then try and prove it, religion you just make something up.

I am sure that i read somewhere that only a handful of people in the world actually understand the problem enough to be able to think how to prove it.

Start with a simple problem such as newtonian mechanics and it isn’t that hard, move on to quantum mechanics and things start to get odd because they run counter to what our everyday experience teaches us. This is the problem, there was a time when it was believed the earth was flat and you could fall off the edge, look at the sea, you see a horizon, it is obvious that there is an edge and the sea is flat.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Happy Birthday to you
    Happy Birthday to you
    Happy Birthday dear Universe
    Happy Birthday to you

Junkyard
    Free Member

Science holds with an approach to finding knowledge [ obseerve and experiment etc] it does not hold to what is found so new knowledge/facts does not threaten science as we/it can easily shift to the new paradigm
    Religion is tied to its beleiefs as they are the word of a diety so they are stuck with creationism, no evolution, no dinosaurs, even a heliocentric universe. These all made sense 2000 years ago and were facts today we knwo they are wrong. The beleievers have to stick with ot though as its the word of god.
    New knowledge threatens religion it does not threaten science and ths is sciences greatest strength no “laws” are infallable

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member

I am of the opinion that if something ever gets so complex that it’s not understandable I don’t understand it then it’s wrong.

El-bent
    Free Member

Ernie, why not type another essay instead. Someone might even read it.

Ernie’s essays are interesting, even if I don’t agree with a lot of it, yours CFH however:

It’s an image representation of your mind, no wonder nothing interesting ever comes out of it.

That’s science. Test that shit you bastards..

😆

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

So, to follow on from this curved space thingie that says that when you think you’re going straight you’ll still end up back where you started. Could it be that if we look to the north and see something 13 (or 30) billion light years away and then look to the south and find something the same distance away, we are looking at either side of the same thing?

Whilst we’re on the subject of astrophysics can someone tell me if there any gaping holes in my own theory that the big bang did not necessarily include all universal matter and may just be a local phenomenon. We know that matter and energy are interchangeable, so what if there is a limit to the mass of a black hole, beyond which it becomes unstable and it’s constituant matter is crushed out of existence and makes that transformation in a similar manner to a nuclear chain reaction. Such a violent explosion would erase all traces of anything existing for a pretty big surrounding area and anything not affected would presumably be too far away for us to identify with current technology.
    I’ve always been intrigued as to WHY the big bang occured and this is my attempt at explaining that.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

seeing that man has never been past the moon i find it hard to believe we can say with any certainty how old the universe is

coffeeking
    Free Member

I am of the opinion that if something ever gets so complex that it’s not understandable then it’s wrong.

I’m taking a guess but I reckon by that thought process there’s an aweful lot of stuff in the world that works as it was designed that you’re just going to classify as wrong, or magic. You’re thinking in 3D for a start, which is part of the mistake you make.

seeing that man has never been past the moon i find it hard to believe we can say with any certainty how old the universe is

Presumably that’s just because you don’t understand the physics behind how the estimations are made?

I love it when armchair spectators assume an army of scientists and physicists working for decades are wrong, based on an idle 5 minute thought 🙂

paulosoxo
    Free Member

So, when you reach the edge of the universe, where do you end up? Back at the beginning? What starts where one thing ends?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

When you get to the edge of the universe, you reach the start of another one.

Makes you wonder why you bothered.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

jumpupanddown – Member

I’m amazed. You don’t know about “Google” and, er, “Wikipedia” and the like?

Never mind. Knock yourself out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_universe

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

we can only view the universe from our perspective… we might just be a experiment in some greater beings laboratory.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yes, we might, but:

1: That would be a being that has evolved into complexity from a simple beginning, just like us and

2: There’s no evidence for it.

Oh, also, 3: So what?

mrmo
    Free Member

the one issue with physics that i have never really been happy with.

The big bang, there was nothing, no time, no mass, no void, absolutely nothing, then there was everything, time began, mass and energy appear.

As for the shape of the universe, you have to remember that space is not 3d in the normal sense, time, gravity, mass, energy, everything, interact in ways that on an everyday level you do not see. You assume time is fixed, but it is not.

Hafele Keating experiment

Gravitational Lenses

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The big bang, there was nothing, no time, no mass, no void, absolutely nothing, then there was everything, time began, mass and energy appear.

Why aren’t you happy with that?

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

As for the shape of the universe, you have to remember that space is not 3d in the normal sense, time, gravity, mass, energy, everything, interact in ways that on an everyday level you do not see. You assume time is fixed, but it is not.

dont question the scientists, unlike the religious people their right about every thing!!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Which is why I kneel before the God Particle.

donsimon
    Free Member

dont question the scientists, unlike the religious people their right about every thing!!

So the solution is to choose who you believe to be the most credible from the two unbelievable options?

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

1: That would be a being that has evolved into complexity from a simple beginning, just like us and

why would that being have to have evolved the same way as we did any way..Perhaps it could have evolved in a completely different way and be made of a type of energy or mass we have no concept of. You need to think out side the box more.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

So the solution is to choose who you believe to be the most credible from the two unbelievable options?

maybe there both wrong maybe there both right, there is not sufficient primary evidence to prove any thing conclusively, so ill keep an open mind till that evidence comes along.

edhornby

Yeah, that’s science for you. You just make shit up. Then you test it – that is the important bit.

and peer reviewed then published also, that’s the other important bit 😉 but I agree so as we were 🙂

Paulsoxo and Ernie; you don’t ever reach the edge of the universe, you’re always in it. if you want to define yourself at the centre of it or travelling to the centre of it, you’re right on both counts.

Brian, please do question the scientists. Any decent scientist wants to scrutinise the current evidence and/or theory as this is science in action – and scientists are quite cool about the fact they don’t know everything

Brian Cox will be on the telly tomorrow evening to explain this properly

MrWoppit
    Free Member

why would that being have to have evolved the same way as we did any way

Because observation, experiment and rigorous testing indicate that that is the case in the unverse to which we belong.

I wish you luck in your attempt to develop your hypothesis of an invisible being into a demonstrable theory, but I’m not holding my breath…

As for what if… I still ask – so what?

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

I like the one electron theory best.

Junkyard
    Free Member

they said evolved like us from a simpler being they did not mention the method of this evolution. I think we can all tell you are utterly off your box and somewhat out your depth here [ or just bored and trolling]

i agree we cannot speculate beyond this point as we have no data so we can guess but that is all.

So you even know what the word science means?
    Why not disprove them with evidence ?
    Scientists admit that they dont have facts in the sense lay people use the word and can be swayed with evidence, If you have evidence to the contrary of any view then please show me your [peer reviewed and objective] evidence and we can evaluate it. If not shh the grown up are talking 😉

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

Because observation, experiment and rigorous testing indicate that that is the case in the unverse to which we belong.

but its to localised we need to go much deeper in to the universe before we can draw and firm conclusions, until man develops the ability to travel many times faster than light we will not have the ability to physically examine other parts of the universe. At which point many of the current theories could we be proven.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

The best minds used to think the sun went around the earth.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

So you even know what the word science means?
    Why not disprove them with evidence ?
    Scientists admit that they dont have facts in the sense lay people use the word and can be swayed with evidence, If you have evidence to the contrary of any view then please show me your [peer reviewed and objective] evidence and we can evaluate it. If not shh the grown up are talking

Unless an experiment has been carried out an infinite amount of times it is not possible to conclude that the same thing will always happen.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘If the universe is 13.7 billion years old…’ is closed to new replies.