Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • If the ketchup debate was divisory…
  • Cougar

I’m building burgers. Being a voodoo vegetarian I have little experience of the ‘Big Mac’ et al.

I have: buns, burgers, green stuff, onions, salsa, every sauce imaginable, square “cheese”.

1) What order should they go in?

2) Buns; plain? toasted? buttered?

3) Out of interest, how would you build your perfect burger with an open cupboard of (sensible) ingredients?

Ta.

_tom_
    Free Member

I go burger, cheese, onions, lettuce, tomato then whatever sauce I fancy. Usually a bit of mayo and a tomato sauce. Don’t butter the bun it’s too greasy.

warton
    Free Member

burger, mustard, mayo. nothing else is needed

andrewh
    Free Member

Always butter the bun. Proper butter.
    Then burger, then cheese. Always cheese next to burger to allow it to melt.
    Then fried onions, again next to cheese to encourage melting.
    Other ingredients doesn’t really matter which order

wombat

You can’t beat a nicely toasted bun 😉 ….

so, Bun base, burger, cheese, onions, gherkins, tomato sauce/relish, beef tomato slice(s), mayonnaise, lettuce, bun lid.

+1 for no butter

Mister-P
    Free Member

Agreed on cheese (or pcocessed cheese slice for maximum dirtiness) next to meat to aid melting. Butter is one step too far though, filthbags.

Houns

Butter buns (not toasted) Burger, cheese, Ketchup and French’s mustard

Mister-P
    Free Member

Ketchup and mustard is for hotdogs. I learned this in Sweden.

_tom_
    Free Member

Good call on gherkins, forgot about those!

maccruiskeen

Buttered roll, Cheese next to the beef, a milkshake in a horn goblet and the whole thing served on a leather plate. With a bovril chaser.

Cougar

Interesting.

I always thought the start was ‘a bed of lettuce’. Seems that’s where I’m going wrong. (Though my foliage was rocket rather than lettuce)

All good stuff, keep ’em coming.

Also, maccruiskeen – you’re odd. Well done.

thomthumb
    Free Member

depending on the number of condiments there is a correct order and placement.

mayo will go below the burger if another sauce is present. mustard can stay above the burger with ketchup but burger relish/ barbecue will push mustard below.

ocd 😯

TiRed

Top quality burger, sun-dried tomatoes, a little horseradish and…TOAST.

Yes, toast. Two nice thick slices of white. Toasted brown, then cut into disks with a large mug or biscuit cutter. No butter. Rocket to garnish.

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it 8)

igm

remember to dress the salad on the bun – learned that from K2 in Les Gets

portlyone

The original burgers were on toast, not buns. So you can taste the
    meat and not just bread.

Gherkins are a must for me. Other greens pointless, just have a side
    salad.

Cheese on burger while it finishes, to melt. Flip burger constantly while frying
    to keep juices inside.

Jamie
    Free Member

On the subject of Gherkins, these ones from Tescos are the shit:

philconsequence
    Free Member

i like the toast idea!

handmade burger with gruyere cheese built in that melts in the middle, crispy bacon with the fat cut off layered on top, smokey bbq sticky sauce. crisp lettuce and a fat juicy slice of tomato under the burger of course.

served by Natalie Portman or Rachel Macadam wearing very little if we’re talking dream burgers.

Bez

Wombat has precisely the correct answer.

_tom_
    Free Member

I think Phil’s answer is the best so far.

Gribs

Lightly toasted bun, “cheese”, burger, “cheese”, fried onions, runny fried egg, toasted bun.

If you feel the need to add anything else then it goes on top of the onions. Sauces for flavour are better mixed in with the beef to make the burger. For those who doubt the benefit of adding a fried egg then try it once and you’ll be converted.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

gruyere cheese built in

That my friend is an abomination. You don’t under any circumstance build cheese into a burger, it’s taking up valuable beef space. Cheese on top or at a push underneath but never inside the burger.

At the risk of sounding like some kind of pervert buffalo burgers are delicious.

dogbert
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqIWPvCgi9g[/video]

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘If the ketchup debate was divisory…’ is closed to new replies.