Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • If the Blur 4x is so brilliant…
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

footflaps, a true classic that. Quite fancy putting slightly longer forks on mine but it’s the XC and I think that’s meant to be pretty flimsy compared to the original blur (skinnier tubes and less gussetting.) Not sure I’d risk it.

footflaps

Yeah the 1st generation has really beefy gussets and seems completely bomb proof!

GW
    Free Member

“I can ride around the local (flat) woods and not feel too “overbiked”, and not worry about hitting any of the bigger gaps/drops there during my ride. I can take it down chicksands and it’s more than capable of taking anything that place can through at it, and the following day take it on an epic all mountain ride and have a hoot railing corners (something it does amazingly) and getting air whenever possible.One thing I’ve found with it that it is one of those weird bikes that if you’re on it, or just tying to have fun on it, tying to get air wherever possible it will reward you with a big grin, and encourage you to thrash it more and more. But if you’re riding like a big wus, it’ll punish you.”

Cool! Just like a 100mm hardtail then?

richc
    Free Member

Why not Hora? Do you even ride DH?

Of course he does, here he is tackling some serious knarr …..

^
    That is Hora BTW, and that trail needs a 10″ travel bike or else it would be LETHAL!!!!! 🙄

steve_b77
    Free Member

Has it got a puncture?

richc
    Free Member

He only had 130mm of travel so it was unrideable (no puncture).

davecm
    Free Member

GW[quote]Cool! Just like a 100mm hardtail then?[/quote]Yes. And? Hardtails are great aren’t they? I’d never be without one, but I’m past battering myself senseless launching massive drops/jumps on a hardtail, or long day rides in the Peaks etc. My back doesn’t take too kindly to it any more. 90% of my riding locally, and XC rides are on my XC hardtail, but the Blur is just a “fun” bike.

I ride bikes for fun, perhaps your motives are different 😆

He only had 130mm of travel so it was unrideable (no puncture).

Go to a DH race where there’s a hardtail category and then say that trail’s unrideable 😆

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I thought Hora was a nit of a fatty. Looks pretty normal in that pic. 😈

footflaps

That trail looks mental though – 10″ min travel and full body armour required….

hora
    Free Member

Scienceofficer that was just after I returned to biking after an accident so my shoulder/arm/rib had recently healed. I could have kicked richc’s ass with one hand tied behind my back then and now though as he’s a wee bit of a soft lad 😆

richc
    Free Member

Go to a DH race where there’s a hardtail category and then say that trail’s unrideable

My sarcasm didn’t come across well then 🙁

I think I have a picture of my 2 year old nephew riding that, on his scoot somewhere, as its that core.

scruff
    Free Member

That is Hora BTW, and that trail needs a 10″ travel bike or else it would be LETHAL!!!!!

You forgot about the angleset aswell.

hora
    Free Member

as its that core.

Shrugs. It was my comeback ride after I spent a stayover/night in Guildford hospital with a clean break on my upper arm, fractured shoulder and ribs. I guess when someones down there will always be those that’ll kick you huh.

You forgot about the angleset aswell.

Cane Creek, Saars and Works Components better stop making them then if you feel the manufacturer is always right 😉

Back ontopic. Is the Blur4x great? Its bloody good. At that price you could run it and sell it for a similar amount as well as it has a good following (for good reason).

Is it better than a Specialized Enduro frame? Its more boutique, better cache etc etc. It’d also feel more special to own etc. Normally I’d be tempted to buy it myself but I think I’ll keep my newly bought Enduro- it seems to pedal better, ok has abit more travel but then again its about the same weight and is just as strong.

mattjg
    Free Member

@footflaps, I have a Blur Classic that I’d like to breathe new life into, what shock do you run?

mattjg
    Free Member

& would putting 140mm forks on, but leaving the original shock, mess it up? (am no expert on FS geometry)

Pauly

I’ve run Reba’s @ 120mm, Pike U-Turns (95 – 140mm) an Lyriks @ 160mm on my 4X.

Feels great whatever is on it, although it’s in bits just now as my Blur LTc is taking precedence these days.

kudos100
    Free Member

Always wanted one, but in the end decided that the seat tube on the large was too small.

When they eventually bring out the Blur LTc in alloy, I will get one.

hora
    Free Member

When they eventually bring out the Blur LTc in alloy

There you go 😉

Steve77
    Free Member

It was ahead of its time, but there are quite a few low and slack shorter-travel bikes around now. If they’re going cheap enough though why not?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I have one and its a fun bike for razzing about on.

Too small for long days, quite heavy. Bearing and shock eyelet bush wear is tiresome and the axles need replaced yearly.

footflaps

mattjg – Member

@footflaps, I have a Blur Classic that I’d like to breathe new life into, what shock do you run?

The original shock was a Float R 200 with 50 stroke and I upgraded to an RP23 with 57mm stroke, so get at extra 14% travel. I really wanted a manual lockout as it bobbed like ‘ell when climbing out the saddle.

The Talas 140 fork made a huge difference – mainly by slacking the head angle off by a couple of degrees (as well as more travel).

footflaps

The other mod was to drill out the cable guides so I can run a full length outer for the rear mech.

I’ve also filed out the inside of one of the chain stays to take 2.5″ tyres – only a couple of mm…

davecm
    Free Member

stuartlangwilson – Member
    I have one and its a fun bike for razzing about on.

Too small for long days, quite heavy. Bearing and shock eyelet bush wear is tiresome and the axles need replaced yearly.Tell me about it!

richc – Member
    Go to a DH race where there’s a hardtail category and then say that trail’s unrideable
    My sarcasm didn’t come across well then

It did, hence my wink 😉

hora
    Free Member

Bearing and shock eyelet bush wear is tiresome

I noticed this. The later ones were supposed to be ‘lifetime’ as well 😐

On the axle- you mean the linkage? You can buy ti linkage’s now for them 8)

footflaps

Yep – the big issue with the original is the bearings wearing out after about 5 rides in the rain – I mainly use mine abroad in the Alps or Colorado – nice dry trails 🙂

honourablegeorge

hora – Member

The later ones were supposed to be ‘lifetime’ as well

They’re lifetime warrantied – when they wear out, you send them back and get free replacements.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘If the Blur 4x is so brilliant…’ is closed to new replies.