Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • If someone lies to you, how does it change the relationship?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I’m not talking about the SO, but say a mate tells you when questioned that they didn’t do something which you 100% know they did, how does that effect things?
    I’m going with the fact that I still like them so it doesn’t matter that much, but I wouldn’t take her on their word again as once bitten twice shy?

What would you do?

Cheers.

tomhoward

Did they eat your sandwich from the work fridge?

nickjb
    Free Member

Depends on the lie. That they didn’t eat the last hob hob, not a big issue. I wouldn’t expect a friend to be 100% open with me although more omission than outright lie. Life can be complicated

Junkyard
    Free Member

Depends on what they did and why they lie

slackalice
    Free Member

Challenge them in a non confrontational way would be my preferred approach. Honesty is good and recognising and accepting that none of us are saints, non judgement about others is a good place to start.

P.S. SID’s are still working beautifully! 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

Did they eat your sandwich from the work fridge?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tqmXTYa3Xw[/video]

DrJ

Interesting question. A while ago I met somebody and we became friends. All the time we knew each other – 2-3 years, he told me about something that was going on in his life (I don’t want to give details). We were good friends and our families did stuff together. Then he moved away, and subsequently I discovered that the thing he’d been telling me about was not at all what he’d said, and the facts painted him in a different light.

I feel quite hurt that he told me this pack of stories, and that he hadn’t trusted me to tell me the truth. I have therefore not contacted him and have not taken any of the opportunities we’ve had to meet up. Maybe I have been too harsh, but I feel quite betrayed.

Sandwich

No pudding, ever.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Challenging, non confrontationally or not can only end one way surely, I’m thinking it changes things in the way that trust can no longer exist, but I have no idea why she bothered to lie as it made no odds either way 😕

grahamt1980

DrJ – I can relate to that, have lost contact with a few friends because of similar situations

mrsfry
    Free Member

Then they are ‘Dead to me’ end of

Northwind

It also depends on the basic nature of the relationship. I have friends I know I can’t trust, but I still enjoy their company. Others, trust is a total lynchpin.

yunki
    Free Member

just take the piss mercilessly..

we have an associate who’s surname is a now a synonym for a fib in our circle

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

did she drink tea made by someone you know?
    Is it the fact she lied or the subject of the lie the bigger problem?

scaredypants

depends, obvz

For me, not so much “why did they lie?” but “Do I need to trust them in future?”

As long as that’s “no”, then carry on

Mind, if they repeated the same lie again I’d say something now that I knew the truth

squirrelking
    Free Member

I dunno, if it’s someone I cant trust but still get along with I’d perhaps call them an acquaintance. Never a friend though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘If someone lies to you, how does it change the relationship?’ is closed to new replies.