Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • If someone dies and has no family….
  • simmy
    Free Member

….what happens to their belongings if they have no will ?

I’m guessing there’s a Heir Hunters type search.

The reason I’m asking, there is a House near my Mums that has been untouched for years. It looks like it’s never been painted since the 60’s and no one lives there.

We were talking about it and came to the conclusion that someone must have died, had no family and no will and it’s just been left, think it’s something like 20 years then the goverment take it ?

Even if it’s not the case with this house, it’s got me wondering what would happen in these circumstances ?

grahamt1980

Edit:

Goes to the crown eventually.
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/tsemmanual/tsem7830.htm

project
    Free Member

Have a look on the Land registry web site to find the owners name, or mortgage lender.

If the person has died ,left no will the house will be sold and all monies recieved wil go to the government to waste.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Isn’t there some law that says if you live in a property for a number of years you can claim it?

Moses

I suggest you move in quick, don’t tell the current owners, then after 12 years it will be yours.
    (IANAL – the law may have changed in the last few years, but that used to be the case)

scruff9252

Squat. Marge doesn’t need anymore property!

ElShalimo

Sometimes it depends on which Royal owns the land.
    A colleague passed away with no family and all his assets went to the Duchy of Cornwall as the land was part of that estate, even though the house was freehold

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘If someone dies and has no family….’ is closed to new replies.