Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)
  • If Scotland vote no…
  • Northwind

StefMcDef – Member

Shooting people! Because they wear a particular football shirt! Ha-ha!

I’d be up for shooting Rangers fans too tbh. Or Hearts, Granton Star, Whitecaps, I’m an equal opportunities murderer.

bencooper
    Free Member

Some absolutely cutting-edge humour in this thread, guys. Give yourselves a pat on the back.

I think this is what is technically known as “banter”.

peterfile
    Free Member

“banter”

*shudders*

richc
    Free Member

peterfile – Member
    Genuine question but if they get independence then are there likely to be any immigration controls between people moving north or south?
    No

Is that strictly true?

If Scotland gets Independence and doesn’t join the EU (likely as Spain will block it) surely as a country outside of the EU, its citizens will be subject to the same visa games that everyone else has to be play?

lots of if’s and but’s but surely its not a definite ‘No’ everything will be like it was except we won’t have to pay any tax to the UK and listen to the pillocks in Westminster.

Garry_Lager

StefMcDef – Member

How did it work out for Scotland the last time it failed to grasp the opportunity for a greater measure of self-determination, at a time when an unelectable Labour opposition gave the Tories a free hand to do what they liked? And all caused by the SNP 😉

The failure of the 79 devolution plebiscite (on the turnout clause) led the SNP to withdraw their support for the Callaghan government – actually a no confidence motion was made – followed up immediately by a no confidence motion from Margaret T. It was the event that brought down the labour government and started Thatcher’s rise to power.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

If Scotland gets Independence and doesn’t join the EU (likely as Spain will block it) surely as a country outside of the EU, its citizens will be subject to the same visa games that everyone else has to be play?

Scotland and rUK could negotiate what ever deal they wanted, but border controls seem unlikely.
    As for the first point about Scotland not getting into the EU, it’s been done to death as well. Its easy to assume that Spain would block an entry but there’s no concrete evidence of that being likely, and in fact the government have actually said they have no problem with whats happening in SCotland.

Northwind

richc – Member

(likely as Spain will block it)

So they mutter but it’d by no means a given- another case of “what we’ll do in advance vs what we’ll do when faced with practicality” methinks, since they have the largest fishing industry in the EU and are heavily dependant on the north sea fishing. It’d be a massive hit in the wallet and they’d be weighing up the propaganda-only effect on separatism at home, against the very real gdp and employment hit.

I don’t know a lot about Schengen but I do know you can be in it, without being in the EU.

hooli

peterfile – Member
    Genuine question but if they get independence then are there likely to be any immigration controls between people moving north or south?
    No

So what is the benefit other than having more control over their spending?

kcal

well I might well be ticking the (non-existent) “Devo Max” on the ballot paper. yes I know that’s a spoilt vote but TBH my preferences lie with neither available option, and at least I’d be voting…

aracer
    Free Member

Debunked by ernie on the last thread http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/osbourne-says-no-to-currency-union/page/46#post-5810661 http://www.theguardian.com/politics/1997/apr/24/past.electionspast1 – presumably you were only reading the posts which agreed with your preconceptions on that thread?

peterfile
    Free Member

So what is the benefit other than having more control over their spending?

Other than not being governed by Westminster?

bigjim

jesus how many more months of this pish do we have to go still?

gordimhor

Hooli Scotland would get control of it’s own social policies we could bin the bedroom tax, and we would get
    rid of the wmd. For some people the economic argument is the key to their supporting yes for others it’s a chance to try to build a better fairer and more equal country .

aracer
    Free Member

Your vote has been counted 😉

peterfile
    Free Member

jesus how many more months of this pish do we have to go still?

I know that a small country’s independence is probably small fry to the types of things you have to contemplate every day, but for some of us, it’s a fairly big deal.

Your vote has been counted

😆

bigjim

I live here too you know. It would be a big deal if it was going to happen, as I would probably have to find a new job, but I don’t think it will.

peterfile
    Free Member

Regardless of the result though bigjim, do you not think it poses some fairly significant questions that are at least worth thinking about? I was the same (although, to be fair I was living in England when this first kicked off), but regardless of whether I vote yes or no, it’s been the biggest wake up call for me in terms of what the hell is going on in UK/Scotland. I bumbled about my own life without giving some things too much attention…this was at the very least an opportunity to look properly at the things that affect my daily life.

richc
    Free Member

Scotland and rUK could negotiate what ever deal they wanted, but border controls seem unlikely.

That’s true; but CMD isn’t going to be happy that his legacy is going to be the break up of the union so he may pause **** up the rest of the country to hurt the Scottish.

So they mutter but it’d by no means a given- another case of “what we’ll do in advance vs what we’ll do when faced with practicality” methinks, since they have the largest fishing industry in the EU and are heavily dependant on the north sea fishing. It’d be a massive hit in the wallet and they’d be weighing up the propaganda-only effect on separatism at home, against the very real gdp and employment hit.

Also true, but the likelyhood of Scotland being in the EU in 18 months is pretty much zero according to anyone with any knowledge or background. If they take standard terms 2 years is possible, if they want the same terms as the UK then that’s going to take decades.

So we would still have a few years of Scotland in limbo.

Personally I don’t care as long as they get on with it, my only regret is the rest of the UK will be stuck with these **** for a long long time. That and a lot of friend’s lives will be massively disrupted when they have to leave Scotland due to their industries moving.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

For some people the economic argument is the key to their supporting yes for others it’s a chance to try to build a better fairer and more equal country .

This!

p.s. Braveheart was shit (unless watched whilst pished) and our fishy duo are ****, but what major politician isn’t? On the **** scale they’re good few kilos lighter than Cameron/Clegg But it is still a big huge fat massive Yes from me.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

what’s wrong with ****?

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I didn’t think **** was swearing!

peterfile
    Free Member

Don’t worry, you get used to it. Mild racism is OK, but a wee bit of **** swearing and they get upset 🙂

StefMcDef
    Free Member

aracer – Member

bencooper » Before the ’97 referendum, various Scottish-based financial institutions – including Standard Life – said that they might have to leave after devolution.

Debunked by ernie on the last thread http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/osbourne-says-no-to-currency-union/page/46#post-5810661 http://www.theguardian.com/politics/1997/apr/24/past.electionspast1 – presumably you were only reading the posts which agreed with your preconceptions on that thread?

It was debunked by Ernie but then I saw a newspaper clipping on Twitter this morning that convincingly debunked the debunk. By the time it came round to 1997 they had come round to the idea but prior to that the cabal of former Thatcher aides in charge of Standard Life had abused their position by spending the 90s railing against the horrors of “Home Rule”. I’m afraid I can’t be any more specific than that. 😥 The truth is out there.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

If it’s a NO in September I’ll be gutted.

To get over it I’ll probably just go for a cycle wherever I want due to our world-beating access laws whilst breathing some clean fresh air thanks to our world-leading environmental obligations. Once I get home I’ll take a quick shower then relax with a world-class whisky and an awesome beer, brewed just doon the road.

No sour grapes tho, eh?

retro83
    Free Member

dufresneorama – Member

If it’s a NO in September I’ll be gutted.

To get over it I’ll probably just go for a cycle wherever I want due to our world-beating access laws whilst breathing some clean fresh air thanks to our world-leading environmental obligations. Once I get home I’ll take a quick shower then relax with a world-class whisky and an awesome beer, brewed just doon the road.

No sour grapes tho, eh?

Yeah, how about washing down the whisky with some of your world-class modesty as well eh? 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Scotland has many wonderful things to enjoy and be proud of, but “awesome” beer is stretching credibility even by wee eck’s “elastic” standards.

zippykona

How do the Welsh feel about all this?

piemonster

Been awhile since I’ve seen Braveheart.

Might give that a watch next week.

piemonster

Scotland has many wonderful things to enjoy and be proud of, but “awesome” beer is stretching credibility even by wee eck’s “elastic” standards.

This is actually total bllx.

Sure, there is some main stream tripe. But there’s stacks of quality small scale breweries up here. Up yours Bawbag.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, in the traditional UK context of them vs us i.e. rich Tory southerners vs the working classes, the Scots are an ally. I’d be sad to see them leave partly because it’ll change the political landscape, for the worse as far as I am concerned. Plus it’s always a shame to see people leave rather than work out their differences.

I’d support devo max.

gordimhor

DP

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

“Some” main stream tripe???? – “this Spesh is pesh” rings out far more than “hmm, nice pint this.”

The odd pint of 90bob might make the “quite nice” though, granted! 😉

zippykona

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmALA8miQY8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

StefMcDef
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Well, in the traditional UK context of them vs us i.e. rich Tory southerners vs the working classes, the Scots are an ally. I’d be sad to see them leave partly because it’ll change the political landscape, for the worse as far as I am concerned. Plus it’s always a shame to see people leave rather than work out their differences.

I’d support devo max.

If Scotland got devo max, would Wales push for devo max boyce?

gordimhor

Sour grapes ….I see you’ve tried our world class wine 🙂
    With apologies to Cairn O Mohr

peterfile
    Free Member

And with one statement you’ve demonstrated a complete lack of knowledge of the scottish beer industry 🙂

piemonster

“Some” main stream tripe???? – “this Spesh is pesh” rings out far more than “hmm, nice pint this.”

The odd pint of 90bob might make the “quite nice” though, granted!

Pfft your missing out. Assuming you get past border control you should do some beer exploration on a Scottish trip.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

More like 6 years of perennial disappointment. Fortunately the Guinness Soc presented a worthy escape route.

I would rather stick to drinking your finer produce – highland spring with a wee islay chaser! The latter can truly be called awesome.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

cairn O Mohr….there’s a time and a place! 😛

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I had pint after pint of fantastic beer when I did the Caledonian Canal a few years back. Absolutely ridiculous generalisation to say Scottish beer is shite.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘If Scotland vote no…’ is closed to new replies.