Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)
  • If Scotland vote no…
  • Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

Really? Who says all the oil is Scottish.

Nobody. Just the huge majority of it is.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You want to be careful with it too, WMD’s + Oil and the Americans might come looking!

There is a lot more to the debate than oil and an anti-English sentiment though.

Northwind

Fair point that, at the moment we have WMDs which is fine, it’s only when you actually have none that the Americans claim you do then invade isn’t it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rscott
    Free Member

Btw it wasnt an anti English statment im undecided on the split and it doesnt matter what I think as I don@t have a vote as I live in england.

The facts of the matter are that the majority of British oil rigs are in Scottish water,if they go indapendant even if the oil becomes English they will still need to access it through Scottish waters.

On the NATO front, why? do the english not want to store it on there own land?

And as for EU, England wee recently trying to op out of it. there argument against is to stay in it, Make up there mind why dont they.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Devo max is Salmond’s objective.

duckman

fasternotfatter – Member
    The best thing about a no vote will be Scottish people going back to being as irrelevant as people from Cornwall. Scotland is a great place, it is just a shame about the people.”

S’funny,but these threads always contain lots of claims of anti English sentiment,yet every thread we always get a few quotes like the above.
    After the last no vote in the 70’s Scotland’s budget was squeezed so tight that the then Scottish sec George Younger had to go to Westminster as he didn’t have enough money to run both schools and hospitals. After a no vote Cameron will go after anything auntie mags missed. It isn’t just things such as not building Hora’s new penis extension on the Clyde,it is stuff like trading oil seed rape quotas for fish quotas like Westminster did with Spain.More decisions like the ongoing attempt to suggest HS2 is of national importance and as such is exempt from barnett will appear. A poll of voters who vote no would be quite interesting 2 years from now,I would be willing to bet the result would be different.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, just as well most of us can rise above drivel like that.

konabunny
    Free Member

Can this thread be merged with the other, epic indie Scotland thread?

Failing that, can it secede from the chat forum?

hora
    Free Member

Can this thread be merged with the other, epic indie Scotland thread?

Failing that, can it secede from the chat forum?

Lock all threads and keep the one? Easier for the mods. Plus any pro-yes trolling should continue to be met by no-trolling back

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Meanwhile, in the Ukraine….

peterfile
    Free Member

The best thing about a no vote will be Scottish people going back to being as irrelevant as people from Cornwall. Scotland is a great place, it is just a shame about the people.

I was mildly amused by this until I worked out that you’re probably from Manchester, which just made it a bit tragic 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

stuarty – Member
    The currency issue is frankly a load of balls…
    We had scottish pound notes before ..use cu… Wouldnt accept them then…. Who cares if we lose sterling off the end..just link it 1 to 1 with sterling ..sorted..

Plenty of reasons why that can’t work. For one, you can’t really call it independance if another country is setting your interest rates and QE. It would be like joining the Euro, except you wouldn’t get any vote in how the currency is controlled.

gordimhor

eamhurtmore – Member

What’s your point? …….
    Mr Camerons friend Putin lines his tanks up near the border
    😉

konabunny
    Free Member

bencooper
    Free Member

He’s just a big Crimeanie.

IGMC

NZCol

One guys opinion on an internet forum is an ‘epic demonstration of why we should vote no’???

Behave.

My point was more that simplistic things like this are what worries me. And yes, I will be living with the consequences.

Junkyard
    Free Member

best euphemism ever 😉

whatnobeer
    Free Member

For one, you can’t really call it independance if another country is setting your interest rates and QE. It would be like joining the Euro, except you wouldn’t get any vote in how the currency is controlled.

You can call it independence though 😉

This was done to death in the other thread. Try telling any of the countries using the Euro that they’re not independent.

konabunny
    Free Member

Try telling Transnistria it’s totally independent because it has its own currency!

Northwind

Yes, Scotland will be just like Transnistria.

piemonster

This was done to death in the other thread. Try telling any of the countries using the Euro that they’re not independent.

They don’t look fully independent to me. None of them.

But that’s not that big a deal. Too much interaction, co-operation, compliance in order to get along required for modern trading states. But it’s far more so within the Eurozone.

footflaps

Yes, Scotland will be just like Transnistria.

Don’t set their aspirations too high now, it will only lead to disappointment and tantrums before tea time….

franksinatra

yS are already working on their “contingency plans” – 2029 for the next vote according to sturgeon.

Shame they don’t put the same effort into contingency planning for more immediate issues like currency.

hels
    Free Member

I was in London recently so stashed £10k on my Oyster Card. Just in case likes.

footflaps

yS are already working on their “contingency plans” – 2029 for the next vote according to sturgeon

Waiting till the oil runs out then 😉

franksinatra

I wonder if rUK mortgage lenders would still lend against properties in Scotland, or even honour existing mortgages.

Northwind

footflaps – Member

Don’t set their aspirations too high now

😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Try telling any of the countries using the Euro that they’re not independent.

Rather than telling them anything, we could simply listen to what they are saying….

In European countries that are already suffering economically, the political backlash against the EU and the euro is already rising. The EU’s own polls show the popularity of the union plummeting in core countries such as France, Italy and Spain……The results of the European elections in May are likely to be a shock, with anti-European or borderline racist parties, such as the French National Front, winning or coming close to victory in France, the Netherlands, Greece, the UK and Austria.

FT 28 Feb 2014

vorlich
    Free Member

Ah, another STW Scotland bashing thread. Great stuff.
    Some of you lot really are utter ****.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

To answer the the original question and ignoring THM, yes, I suspect there will be push for Devo Max from the SNP and possibility other parties. I can’t see anything moving very fast on that front though.

binners

StefMcDef
    Free Member

How did it work out for Scotland the last time it failed to grasp the opportunity for a greater measure of self-determination, at a time when an unelectable Labour opposition gave the Tories a free hand to do what they liked?

Oh aye, the 80s. A halcyon era of being royally shat upon, topped off with the poll tax experiment which was not inflicted on England.

You would hope the Scottish Parliament would act as a buffer against their worst excesses, but the vengeful sabre-rattling noises are already being made on the back benches for the ungrateful subsidy junkies north of the border.

Any no voters who think they’re opting for “the status quo” are either very young or have short memories.

footflaps

Oh aye, the 80s. A halcyon era of being royally shat upon, topped off with the poll tax experiment which was not inflicted on England.

To be fair we all got the Poll tax eventually. I even ended up in court for refusing to pay, as a student in Reading at the time….

hooli

Genuine question but if they get independence then are there likely to be any immigration controls between people moving north or south?

Also what about shared services like the army/royal mail/NHS etc? I know there is some seperation in the NHS already but there must be a large shared percentage still?

peterfile
    Free Member

Genuine question but if they get independence then are there likely to be any immigration controls between people moving north or south?

No

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Perhaps we just keep a lookout for people in Celtic football shirts and shoot them as they cross the border? 😛

Northwind

muddydwarf – Member

Perhaps we just keep a lookout for people in Celtic football shirts and shoot them as they cross the border?

Lets introduce that in Scotland too, win win.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Shooting people! Because they wear a particular football shirt! Ha-ha!

Maybe we could send them some bombs in the post while we’re at it.

Some absolutely cutting-edge humour in this thread, guys. Give yourselves a pat on the back.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Interesting use of “us”, “them”, and “they” on the forum today.

I’m not saying this as a chippy Scot, but genuinely until now, I hadn’t realised that this kind of assumption about where a poster might reside was present on STW.

Its kinda like the way Redditors assume you’re US-based.

I’m not disappointed, as I say- just an observation.

bencooper
    Free Member

How did it work out for Scotland the last time it failed to grasp the opportunity for a greater measure of self-determination, at a time when an unelectable Labour opposition gave the Tories a free hand to do what they liked?

Before the ’79 referendum, there were stories in the newspapers that voting yes to devolution would mean the end of the shipyards and heavy industry, and the coal mines would close.

They closed anyway.

Before the ’97 referendum, various Scottish-based financial institutions – including Standard Life – said that they might have to leave after devolution.

They didn’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘If Scotland vote no…’ is closed to new replies.