Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • if… (roadie content)
  • lemonysam
    Free Member

…one was to turn up to one’s first club run at a club they want to join on a CX bike because their road bike is in storage – would they be laughed at?

Rorschach
    Free Member

sefton
    Free Member

no, lots still on winter bikes (& cx’ers) at the mo

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

No.

I turned up on my first club run for my last club on a CX bike and no-one was bothered. In the club before that, the two fastest men in the club used to ride their CX bikes on club runs all the way through to May. I think they raced xc tho and wanted the time on that specific bike.

As a rule I’ve found that roadies are generally less bothered about kit than mountain bikers, they’re just happy to see folk on bikes and if you can keep up with them then you’re more than welcome to join in.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Excellent. Anyone got any experience of the Gosforth Cycling Club?

cynic-al
    Free Member

they hate cxers.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Awwww… shit.

samuri
    Free Member

You can turn up on a CX bike and set off on the ride with them.

Whether you finish with them is another matter. 😉

jam-bo

they hate cxers.

And lemons

trail_rat
    Free Member

if you can keep up then they will laugh out the other side of their face.

the only bike ive known of being turned away from a club group ride was a fixed wheeler.

turned away because he had no brakes.

lemonysam
    Free Member

And lemons

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

I used to live in Newcastle, if it’s a CX bike you have then you might well be better off looking for the Tyneside Vagabonds if they’re still around. They used to do ‘that sort of thing’.

STATO
    Free Member

Gosforth are a big club so do have different speed groups to join, but they can be a bit ‘erratic’ sometimes. Plenty of other clubs in area have horror stories of Gosforth riders acting a bit dumb. Its prob an over-exageration tho, i know a few and they are sound. Just turn up and see how you get on, if you dont like it the Vags (vagabonds) are a really friendly club and there are a load of others in the area too.

jonba
    Free Member

I ride for Gosforth!

Plenty of people on CX bikes. Ideal for the lovely roads of the north east. Not ridden my summer bike since October so I’m on a mix of single speed and CX until next Wednesday when I’m doing the Barnesbury 10. You’ll be welcome on pretty much anything on Saturday. We’ve had hybrids and all sorts.

Gosforth are fairly relaxed about most things so just turn up introduce yourself and ride safely and you’ll be welcome. Pace is fairly sedate on Saturday. Normally splits and the “fast group” does a few extra miles. Pace of that can vary depending on whose involved but normally a manageable 18-20mph for 5-10 miles extra.

Not out for a while on the road, got other plans. Might be the bank holiday before I do a weekend road ride.

Few of us race CX through the winter – I pretend not to take it seriously… If you are interested shout up on the GRC forum.

I mainly prefer the offroad stuff and ride with Midaircrisis.

jonba
    Free Member

I ride for Gosforth!

Plenty of people on CX bikes. Ideal for the lovely roads of the north east. Not ridden my summer bike since October so I’m on a mix of single speed and CX until next Wednesday when I’m doing the Barnesbury 10. You’ll be welcome on pretty much anything on Saturday. We’ve had hybrids and all sorts.

Gosforth are fairly relaxed about most things so just turn up introduce yourself and ride safely and you’ll be welcome. Pace is fairly sedate on Saturday. Normally splits and the “fast group” does a few extra miles. Pace of that can vary depending on whose involved but normally a manageable 18-20mph for 5-10 miles extra.

Not out for a while on the road, got other plans. Might be the bank holiday before I do a weekend road ride.

Few of us race CX through the winter – I pretend not to take it seriously… If you are interested shout up on the GRC forum.

I mainly prefer the offroad stuff and ride with Midaircrisis.

warton
    Free Member

Gosforth saturday club runs are a bit of a joke. Upwards of 50 riders at times. It got so bad a few of them, and a few vags started a new club.

Re. The vags, I always found them a bit cliquey. IMO Barnesbury is a much better and friendlier club.

warton
    Free Member

Gosforth saturday club runs are a bit of a joke. Upwards of 50 riders at times. It got so bad a few of them, and a few vags started a new club.

Re. The vags, I always found them a bit cliquey. IMO Barnesbury is a much better and friendlier club.

jonba
    Free Member

EMC?

aracer
    Free Member

the only bike ive known of being turned away from a club group ride was a fixed wheeler.

Several of those on our local clubrun when we turned up on the tandem (though they had brakes, and they didn’t turn us away either). Slightly comical variation in speeds dependent on terrain – the chaps on fixed disappeared on the uphills but didn’t manage to get on our wheel on the down 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘if… (roadie content)’ is closed to new replies.