• This topic has 133 replies, 71 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 134 total)
  • If not the UK, where ?
  • chewkw
    Free Member

The Pilot – Member

Somewhere where morons don’t set off explosives for half the year would do me.

That will be Greenland.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Do they speak English over there, I mean don’t they all speak English related language over there?

No smartarse reply or recognition that you’ve just learnt something. How much ignorance is hidden in all your other pro brexit rantings?
    😆

chewkw
    Free Member

captainsasquatch – Member
    No smartarse reply or recognition that you’ve just learnt something. How much ignorance is hidden in all your other pro brexit rantings?

My Canadian colleague speaks French and French English so not exactly English. The Oz bloke I met working in the mine spoke very weird “English” that I could hardly understand, but when I told him to speak proper English he was not very happy put it this way. Proper “crocodile Dundee” type of guy.

el_boufador

Lovely

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

My Canadian colleague speaks French and French English so not exactly English. The Oz bloke I met working in the mine spoke very weird “English” that I could hardly understand, but when I told him to speak proper English he was not very happy put it this way. Proper “crocodile Dundee” type of guy.

Both very nice stories, but nothing to do with your suggestion that the op looks at Ozland (sic) or Canada because they speak English and it’ll be easier to blend in, is it? 😆

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Given how SAD has dominated my life for the last 20-odd years during the winter, for a few moments I briefly think about moving close to the equator, which is supposed to cure it.

But where would i go? Canary Islands? Miles away from family, a loner that can barely speak any Spanish with very little savings. Doesn’t seem very tempting by logic! 😆

bedmaker

Most of the horrible stuff in broken Britain only really exists in the media (including social media).
    Switch it off and the reality is that the UK is a great place to live.

I see people I was in school with who have moved to Oz, the US, Asia – their postings on FB will often highlight the bad stuff going on politically in their chosen new country. It’s much and such everywhere you look.

Apart from the one who moved to Nelson NZ. That looks like a great place to live from any angle. The smug bitch. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Sweden. Easy.

wilburt
    Free Member

I occasionaly think of moving, not because of brexit or the economy I doubt anywhere will have a substantially better politics or gdp.

I would like to move for a bit more space, the SE of England is full, the North is cold and wet and Scotland is colder and wetter. I dont want to move to the other side if the world. Spain is too hot and Scandanavia is dark half the year.

France is top of my list, good values, secular, beaches and mountains.

molgrips
    Free Member

Scandanavia is dark half the year.

Actually, same amount of sunshine as everywhere else. In the middle of winter it’s no worse because it’s dark when you go to work, light at lunchtime, and dark when you get home.

Still enough daylight for a daytime ride in Winter if you plan, but if you want to night ride in the week it’s moonlight on snow, which is fabulous and not really dark at all. Also not muddy. In mid summer you can go for a ride without lights at 10pm; but you can ride without lights at 8pm for what seems like half the year. It also gets dark slower so it feels like it’s dusk or better most of the time.

And if you don’t want to ride in the ice and snow you can ski.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Hmmmmm. “Better without you”. Think the phrase you are looking for is “utterly ****”.

You can’t run a country with only politicians, the greedy and the easily led.

cchris2lou

We are off to france next year .

a bit different for us as I am french and we are going to my home town where we own a house .

we are not going as we dont like it anymore in the uk , but we just want to give our children the opportunity to live in a different place with different culture .

it wont be easy , and life might be a bit harder than here for a while . we are keeping the house in the uk , and in north kent , jobs in my area are easy to find .

jambalaya
    Free Member

Pigface – Caifornia / San Fran more liberal than East Coast (ex NYC), brilliant sailing on the Bay, mountain and road biking, wines of Nappa Valley, wonderful parks amd countryside, vibrant tech community (wish I was 20 years younger ..) significant fund management companies (so work opportunities) etc. Have French in-laws who are now US citizens and SF residents.

Deadkenny never skied in Utah, too afraid of Mormans and dry resorts. I get the feeling it could be a wierd place to live

Officially I have emigrated to Oz already in ’68 as a £10 pom 🙂

CC hopefully we get to meet up when you are settled … we don’t have to discuss politics and anyway my wife is more strident than I 😉

cchris2lou

if i was younger i would be off to canada .

deadkenny
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member 
    Deadkenny never skied in Utah, too afraid of Mormans and dry resorts. I get the feeling it could be a wierd place to live

The Mormons are odd, but the booze thing is odd. It’d not dry state, just technically lower alcohol, but you get around it with bars that are clubs that serve stronger stuff. Used to have to pay to join them, but they’ve dropped that. Plus licenced liquor stores can sell stronger stuff.

Though it’s nice to not get too shit faced at altitude on strong stuff.

Last time there, tool a trip to Wyoming and forgot about the state differences. 8%+ beers in bars. Suffered from that.

Anyway, the skiing is excellent. Loads of resorts in an easy reach from SLC, very civil, and snow conditions very reliable. Gets their own climate off the lake with good chance of powder.

SLC is a bit odd though, and probably much of northern Utah. Strangely quiet on the face of it.

Though up in Wyoming, Grand Targhee. Lesser known resort, but wow the powder is amazing and fairly reliable.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interesting thanks. Have skied in Jackson Hole a number of times, fabulous place. They have an outfit called steep and deep, well worth looking up 8)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

Yep not dry at all, Park City (where the SLC Winter Olympics was held) is a good town, plenty to eat and drink and they are making vodka in the hills 🙂 Apparently some of the best powder going too and I think they now have some of the biggest ski areas in the world (and mostly less than an hour from SLC)
    As for Cali, some big economic problems (there is a large amount of their population who can’t pay tax without becoming American) which means higher business taxes are forcing the big guys out ironically to Utah.

I was looking at the possibility of working out of Provo (just take a look on trail forks for the biking) for the devs of the software I sell but at max it would be a year and as a contractor probably so I could have some time off. Between holidays and healthcare the US just doesn’t appeal at all. My brother turned down a job out there when they explained the generous 20 days holiday (including public holidays) was there but it was expected he wouldn’t use all of it.

Holiday and home are 2 very different things.
    **Trying a signature out**
    For Movember https://au.movember.com/mospace/13392380 Much appreciated

MrWoppit
    Free Member

but when I told him to speak proper English

Oh the hot clothes-smoothing device.

Rockape63
    Free Member

To be born an Englishman, is to win first prize in the lottery of life!

outofbreath
    Free Member

“I would like to move for a bit more space, the SE of England is full”

This.

The already overcrowded town I live near has to grow by 33pc in the next 18 years. The market town in the midlands I grew up in has sprawled over the last 20 years and is targeted to increase again with a large enclave of farmland near the old market square going under concrete as we speak. They built 5000 homes near my old house and when I moved they built 250 new homes within sight of that which means the quiet rural bridleway I used to start rides on has become a main thoroughfare into town for about 800 new people with enough piles of dog poo to make it unridable in the dark now.

I don’t think I’ll leave the UK but if I do it will be purely for a lower population density.

People are just people. Moving because you don’t like the British is crazy. If you don’t like the British I very much doubt you’ll like anyone else.

flap_jack
    Free Member

If you don’t like the British I very much doubt you’ll like anyone else.

Is this true ? My experience of working in Germany and Sweden is that the people are, in general, much more reasonable. My experience of working in Italy is that they’re less so (but very entertaining and welcoming). To deny cultural differences seems odd.

chakaping
    Free Member

There are obviously serious and structural problems with UK society, but it’s still generally a great place.

I wasn’t impressed with Scots who wanted to vote yes purely because of the Tory government, so I wouldn’t feel comfortable doing a runner myself for similar reasons.

PS. Before I get flamed, I totally respect those who believe in an independent Scotland as a principle in itself.

fizik
    Free Member

Canada would be great but you wouldn’t have much time to enjoy it, 2 weeks annual leave is the minimum/normal, sometimes 3 weeks for ex pats – at least this was the case when i was offered a job there. Doesnt leave much time for holidays or visiting home etc.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Mallorca or the Canary Islands would do me. I think it’s clear that other countries have their own problems, but suffering those problems in a culture that seems to be less selfish, is centred around people and not material goods, and, of course, where the sun shines for the vast majority of the year.
    Obviously far enough away from the ex-pat communities so that life isn’t ruinbed.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

So Oz and Canada are the favourite destinations? the countries that have maintained a sensible immigration system and not allowed uncontrolled immigration? The SE of England is full is it Wilburt? Bloody hell how did that happen? I think you lot might just be realising the mistakes this country has made over the last 20 years!

Pigface
    Free Member

Jamba some plus points but good job for ignoring the cons

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the countries that have maintained a sensible immigration system and not allowed uncontrolled immigration? The SE of England is full is it Wilburt? Bloody hell how did that happen? I think you lot might just be realising the mistakes this country has made over the last 20 years!

What, your 2 choices were both places that have been build largely on immigration.
    The UK busy in the SE due to long standing government policy to centralise stuff, moves like sending the BBC to Manchester help but a lot more is needed.

tjagain

Oh yes – here is that lie about “uncontrolled immigration” again. the UK has some of the tightest immigration controls in the world – ask munrobiker about his experiences trying to get a visa for his wife to stay in the UK

cchris2lou

If Australia was not located in the middle of nowhere, it could not stop immigrants. And Canada has only one accessible border.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

If you read the post I said sensible immigration policies. They let the right people in, people with skills, people who can support themselves financially. Not just anyone who fancies a freebie!

What lie is this TJ? Is freedom of movement within the EU a myth then? Tight immigration control, don’t make me laugh.

Also I’m not aware of munrobikers situation so can’t comment.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

If Australia was not located in the middle of nowhere, it could not stop immigrants. And Canada has only one accessible border.

Not even an argument, we’re surrounded by sea.

cchris2lou

14 miles from a 500m people continent, not the middle of the ocean.

5thElefant
    Free Member

How many of those 500m can swim well enough?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

That’s a 14 mile wide border.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

What lie is this TJ? Is freedom of movement within the EU a myth then? Tight immigration control, don’t make me laugh.

Is this an educated opinion based on anything or just ill informed headline repeating.
    From where I stand there are some quite robust tests before people are allowed access to the UK, even for EU nationals who have access to freedom of movement.
    You might be surprised how restrictive this free movement of people within the EU really is.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I would love to be surprised by it captain (honestly). From where I stand and live I don’t see it and I doubt I’m alone.

cchris2lou

For non EU maybe, but for EU nationals, like me, it is very easy.
    I found a job in the UK whilst still living in France, turned up, started working, went to register for national insurance and that was it.

The few people I know who moved to Australia and Canada did not have much issues either.
    Just longer process and very expensive.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I would love to be surprised by it captain (honestly). From where I stand and live I don’t see it and I doubt I’m alone.

Legal immigrants are issued with residence cards that permit them to do certain things, study, work part time etc. And this can apply to EU citizens too depending on what they are looking to do. None EU citizens need to sit language exams to satisfy visa requirements (the language area is the bit I work in). There is a very robust immigration system in place here.
    If there is a problem with immigrants then there is a problem with illegal immigrants.
    If an EU immigrant is undercutting labour costs, look at the employer or customer for driving down prices.
    If the illegal is neither working nor claiming then it’s a fair bet that their community is looking after them.
    Either way they are not a strain on our economy.
    Either there headlines to not tell the story of the real world.
    I see hundreds on a weekly basis who sit the exams, and many repeaters who have failed but still need score in order to get the visa.
    Flame me, but yes, I help immigrants into the country.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mitsumonkey – Member
    If you read the post I said sensible immigration policies. They let the right people in, people with skills, people who can support themselves financially. Not just anyone who fancies a freebie!

Australia give 1-2 year visa’s to more immigrants than the UK allows in each year to people where 98% of applications are approved

MSP

The myth is that foreigners are turning up in their droves to burden the UK, but without income and work it is still pretty hard. It isn’t that easy to move within the UK for work, there are many commitments that keep a person tied to their life (the housing market is particularly inflexible to life changes). Add to that the already existing limits on social assistance for “newcomers” it is actually quite risky to move to the UK without the financial clout to support yourself and many find themselves travelling home quite soon if they are not in good employment.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘If not the UK, where ?’ is closed to new replies.