• This topic has 133 replies, 71 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 134 total)
  • If not the UK, where ?
  • kimbers

The UK is becoming a place I’m not sure I like anymore.
    Economically we are about to self immolate
    Politics is a joke and even by its own low standards the press are mostly vile.
    This is not somewhere I want my kids to grow up.
    So ….
    NZ, got a goid friend there who loves it, reckons we should check it out
    Canada looks good, if a bit chilly

Who has taken the jump and not regretted it?

MoreCashThanDash

I think it’s the self destructive negativity that puts me off the UK 😉

zippykona

Stay here and do something about it.
    I should imagine the rest of the world has got its arse holes , they just haven’t been given a platform to let everyone know it.

dannybgoode

Canada would be my choice. Australia always an option but too far and too expensive these days.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I reccommend NZ if you can afford it. Went there in 2003 for six weeks, visiting friends/biking. Beautiful, relaxed, friendly. No worries.

I’m heading for the Spanish Sierras myself.

Don’t blame you. Good luck.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Neither Canada nor NZ are in the EU and both have far lower population densities than the UK. Sounds like your aspirations of a nice place to live are identical to a Brexiteer.

shermer75
    Free Member

Depends on what you want. Relaxed, quiet life = New Zealand, definitely. Canada is also amazing, although the winters can get a little wearing after a while! There is also, of course, a great deal of variance within each country too course!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Plus, of course, NZ is a good distance away from the sh1t if we get Trump pushing the button or Clinton failing to stand up to Putin…

andyt1054
    Free Member

I’m heading to Germany in Jan 2017 to be with the other half, just on the Swiss border. Beautiful place, nice people and work available, weather similar to uk but generally has proper seasons – instead of the thick dull cloud overhead all the time.same thoughts as Kimberly re kids etc…

Make the leap…..

bencooper
    Free Member

[can of worms]

Independent Scotland

[/can of worms]

jekkyl

there’s nothing wrong with the UK (apart from the weather) you worry too much. 🙂

nuke

Aside the outward view that this country is going to the dogs in terms of politics, press etc, id think about what for you personal to your family is encouraging you to leave…employment, health, lifestyle etc

For me personally I think its very easy to look outwards and *think* everything is going to the dogs but then I walk away from the media and realise everything is pretty much same as, same as and, although I’m not happy with some aspects of this country’s direction, i know at present i can’t think of one country where the advantages of leaving the UK outweigh the disadvantages

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

NZ would be great, but it’s a very, very long way away. With ageing parents it’s a tough decision to make.

BC in Canada would be my first choice, somewhere around the North Shore area. Close to Van for decent work & transport links, plus all the outdoors you can handle on the doorstep. I really do like the ideology of a more off the grid, self sustained lifestyle.

I sometimes wonder why we’re still here (parents & family mostly).

I don’t think i’ve liked the UK for a while.

enfht
    Free Member

If you’re concerned then why not organise a march or invent a wrist band?

stewartc
    Free Member

Ask yourself, does NZ want you and your negative attitude?

As someone who took the jump, you have to remember that no matter where you are you are still the same person (at first) and that if you are moving for a negative reason then maybe that negativity is actually inside you and you need to resolve that first before than looking for positive reasons to move.

Beer talking IMHO etc

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you’re concerned then why not organise a march or invent a wrist band?

So last year. You need a petition and a hashtag these days.

Or, just do a faux flounce, a la http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/paul-ogrady-says-hell-leave-5633834

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and that if you are moving for a negative reason then maybe that negativity is actually inside you and you need to resolve that first before than looking for positive reasons to move.

About what I was going to write.

jam-bo

And consider the ex-pat community will be a concentrated version of what you dislike here…

Just ignore the media, it’s actually not that bad out there.

matt_outandabout

Somewhere else in Europe? 😉
    My brother and family are at Eden Park (of U2 One Tree Hill fame) just outside Auckland and love it. Not perfect, he says it can be small town mentality like us as well, school system can be a challenge at first, land access is poor.

oldnpastit

Scotland: stay in the EU, and get awesome mountain biking as a bonus.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Just ignore the media, it’s actually not that bad out there.”

I think Britain’s a great place to live and the people I meet are lovely pretty much without exception.

There are people in France risking their lives clinging to lorries to get here which says to me we’re very welcoming and life here is very good.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

And consider the ex-pat community

enfht
    Free Member

Anyhow the press may be *slowly* improving, e.g. the guardian finally reports on muslim paedophile gangs instead of denying their existence for years and shouting ‘racist’ at anyone who spoke the uncomfortable truth. So chin up, chap.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I had the chance to jump ship and did , there are positives and negatives and it’s very personal as to why you would want to move and whether it would work .

There are things I miss about the UK but I do feel that where we live now gives an improved chance of a ‘better’ life for my children than they would have in the UK . What is ‘better’ , that’s a very subjective point and down to you to work out, and it’s an improved chance to have it, it is not guaranteed.

Garry_Lager

Belgium? Cyclocross, beer, and……that’s it really. Two pillars of a civilised society, though.
    Plus they didn’t have a government for abar two years so politics can’t be much of a distraction there.

kimbers

Yeah maybe I am being too negative.
    Wife and I both feel that our kids might be better served elsewhere. (It was a very depressing QT that started the discussion)

Considering Europe, wife’s lived in Spain and liked it, I have friends in Germany and France that could help with job etc too.

Have lived and worked in USA and loved the outdoor lifestyle while I was there. Trump vs Clinton doesn’t indie, tho friends have just moved to California for others to new Jersey, both seem happy.

Greas is greener etc just feel that the kids are young enough to benefit now, so it’s a good time

We are also in a good position financially at the moment and have good qualifications etc

jambalaya
    Free Member

Switzerland
    California (San Francisco)

Visited both many times but lived in neither place (did live in NYC for 3 years), mix of outdoor lifestyle and work opportunities

Kimbers one regret I have is not living a riad more, always interesting to get to know a place. Take care re Europe many French have been coming here as their economy is so weak. As you know Inthink Europe is standing on a precipice and it’s a very long way down

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have lived and worked in USA and loved the outdoor lifestyle while I was there. Trump vs Clinton doesn’t indie, tho friends have just moved to California for others to new Jersey, both seem happy.

Id take Australia over the US, we actually have better workers rights (probably better than the uk)

But the real question is who would have you 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The comments about the nature of the “ex-pat” community say more about the commentators and their prejudices. You get all sorts, same as anywhere else.

For instance, the majority of the “ex-pats” where I’m trying to move to, would find an immediate soulmate in the likes of jhj…

TheBrick
    Free Member

France or Germany I think. Maybe HK but not long term

Pigface
    Free Member

California??? I know you think a bit differently Jamba but that is the maddest statement ever. Lovely to visit but wouldn’t live there. Cost, pollution, the huge inevitable earthquake and the biggest problem Californians all bikram yoga, designer coffee, knitted yoghurt, empty headed vanity.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Kimbers, you’re in MK I believe. As a fellow resident, it’s difficult to imagine a better urban environment for kids to grow up in. Tons of green space, great cycling, easy access to London…

scotroutes

(It was a very depressing QT that started the discussion)

Stop watching the bloody thing. It’s a middle-class Jeremy Kyle freak show with panellists primarily chosen for their ability to cause controversy in an attempt to boost ratings.

5thElefant
    Free Member

MK? Anywhere will seem like paradise.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Why not ask all the optimists how they got on? Those that stayed behind in:

Germany
    Italy
    Soviet Russia
    Quiet a few Balkan countries
    … you get the point.

Only pessimists survive.*

*But who’d want to live with a grumpy guss anyway? 😀

deadkenny
    Free Member

Canada. Big place, few people. Civilized. Has snow for skiing and mountains enough for riding bikes.

But yes the winters do get a bit extreme. Though west coast round Vancouver is more like British weather (rains a lot), and Whistler is just up the road.

Other place is Utah, because it’s awesome for skiing and mountain biking 😀

But I’d have a hard time living in the US. Chances are I’ll be shot for being a cynical non-patriot. Though they do seem to love Brits. Always been friendly when been over there. Just when in a bar and discussion gets to flag waving level it’s tricky.

Also US restrictions on where you can ride is worse than UK, and riders also have a no riding off road in wet weather policy.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It would’ve been Canada for me if I’d been younger except I wouldv’e gone when we joined the EU.
    Been telling my kids to emigrate for years.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’d be steering clear of europe, seems to be trouble brewing in many places, rise of far right etc, even before taking potential economic meltdown into account.

Have to question US too given the two candidates they have chosen for president.

That leaves NZ,Aus,Can. Think NZ would be my choice.

corroded
    Free Member

I grew up in NZ and have lived in Australia. Both, IMO, are wonderful places and I’d go back if work allowed me and I didn’t have ageing parents in the UK. The lifestyle is much more outdoorsy than the UK. I have friends with kids who have settled in both countries and the kids have thrived and made lots of friends, play Aussie Rules, swim and surf etc. Generally, I find Australia a more open, friendly and upbeat sort of place than here.
    Canada too cold for me…

flap_jack
    Free Member

@ 5thElephant.

MK. Ever lived there ? It’s crap to visit (unless you like shopping) but excellent for living. Huge, easily accessible green spaces, great traffic free cycling, and (mostly) decent housing and schools.

I can ride the 4 miles to Waitrose without going on a single road, and mostly through parkland. Kids can do that to school. Woburn on your doorstep. etc. etc. But if you’ve never lived there there’s no way to understand.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘If not the UK, where ?’ is closed to new replies.