Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • If not a DT 5.1D, then what?
  • higgo
    Free Member

I’ve been pretty well served by DT 5.1 rims. I’ve had them on the two bike I rid emost, pretty much since they first came out.

I know they can be a swine to fit some tyres.

I’ve heard all the stuff about them denting easily. It’s never happened to me though despite lots of crap riding in the Peaks and the Alps (including a Mega). But now it has happened. One of them’s got an almighty ding in it and it doesn’t look like the sort of thing I can bend out.

So I need a new rim. None of this UST malarky, just something that’s strong, light and mid-wide. I won’t be changing the rim on the front so something in a nice anonymous black.

I’m not averse to bunging another 5.1 on but also interested to know what’s out there. Suggestions please…

steve_b77
    Free Member

Erm, maybe a Mavic 521 they’re tougher and fractionally heavier @ 520g’s.

Other than that I’m a bit stuffed as I too have DT5.1’s and not dinged them, or the Mavic 321’s I have.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some well used wheels with SUN Ringle SOS rims on them. One has a bit of a flat spot and is difficult to true up, so I looked into replacing them with something else, but most rims are £40 plus.

I’d decided to get a pair of Mavic 521s which seem very good value and just about right
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23206
    but then noticed that a direct replacement SOS is even cheaper, wider and about the same weight (540g). I reckon I’ll stick with them and see how they go
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20788

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Halo Freedom rims are nice.

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Mavic 721s are tough but not too heavy. Used them for years with no problems.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mavic 721 has done OK on the tandem and we really stress wheels on that – due to be changed now after more than a years use however – couple of small buckles and dings

higgo
    Free Member

Isn’t the 721 heavier than the 521? Seems a bit daft as they’re the same width and the 7xx are supposed to be better quality than the 5xx. Unless, I suppose, they’re a lot stronger but only a little lighter.

I like the look of the Halo Freedom one but maybe a bit too wide at 28mm? (if that’s measured the same as the DT 21mm)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Isn’t the 721 heavier than the 521?

Yes
    521 = 540g
    721 = 590g

The 521 is described as an ‘Enduro/light freeride’ rim and the 721 as an ‘Extreme downhill/freeride rim’

It’s just a bit heavier, but a LOT stronger, then.
    🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘If not a DT 5.1D, then what?’ is closed to new replies.