Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • If money were no object – what would you do with your life?
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

Not in Wales. It’s being able to work that’s the tricky bit. Property is cheap.

The idea would be to be mortgage free, so minimal work would be needed.

dudeofdoom

Spend my time training and doing martial arts. Then I would buy a mansion with a cave …..

dont forget the latex fetish an f@” off car/tank you’d also need.

dudeofdoom

meh…….

A lot of these are achievable ..just not easy ……. And TBH after 3months solid you’d be bored out your minds.:-)

I’d probably have a suite on a cruise liner..probably buy in with a large share ownership so no hassle with having the bike racked up Bently dropped off .. Probably tow one of those silver caravans around wiv it as well.

Basically the world would be my oyster and I’d just do X months somewhere till the ship came back then try somewhere else.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Build my own house – nothing flash, but it would have four bedrooms, a big utility room, and a separate garage with a granny annex above for visitors (allowing me to still walk round the main house in my pants). A big greenhouse out the back and a meadow out the front.

Buy a big Harley and ride it all round Europe, not caring at all that they’re very naff and uncool 🙂

Go part time.

Edukator
    Free Member

3months solid you’d be bored out your minds

After 13 years, really I’m not. So much to do. However, on a cruise ship I reckon I could get very bored. In fact I get bored just crossing from St Malo when I’ve finished reading the paper. Cruise life seems to centre around things I don’t do: drinking and eating to excess, sitting on deck chairs, being “entertained” … a floating prison.

dudeofdoom

Didn’t say I’d stay on It all the time ..just cheaper than maintaining a super yacht 🙂

1981miked
    Free Member

Good thread this.. I think about this quite a lot..

Pretty sure i would buy a cottage on Skye and live there for the summer months, I’d ride my motorbike, cycle, kayak, walk, relax in the garden and host whoever fancied popping up for a night or 2.

In the winter I’d head over to Canada to play and watch as much Ice Hockey as I could. I’d also love to load up the bike and head off round Europe, Australia and then America.

I doubt I’d need much in the way of expensive luxuries, I’m over fast cars so a good reliable 4×4 crew cab with decent load bed in the rear would suit me. I’d also have a dog called Stanley to follow me everywhere.

cheekyget
    Free Member

I would like to cycle Route 66 with my mates…..with a big ass tour bus in tow…and cycle round the world , watch the GP live esp the Monaco GP….
    Open a marine aquarium shop….and teach my kid the value of money ….whist buying some crazy ass cars!! And bikes 😆

_tom_
    Free Member

I’d have a cabin in Whistler in the summer and somewhere warmer and dryer in the winter with good lift assisted riding. Really would not get bored of that lifestyle. I’d have to have all my mates out with me for at least some of the year though.

leonase
    Free Member

I would quit my job and devote my life to traveling around the world. I would definitely aim to explore new areas, read books and would be engaged in agriculture.

piemonster

I instinctually disagree with just about everything Edukator says, and with good reason I might add.

But that last post is spot on.

benji
    Free Member

Enjoy lots of riding, with a few trips for some riding abroad as well. Built a house that is not connected to any main services so no more bills and energy efficient.

piemonster

Anyway, I’d have a few modest but very tastefully knitted out houses dotted around the globe in strategic locations of my own preference.

Norway, New Zealand, BC Canada, somewhere in the Alps, probably with a nice campervan kicking about somewhere. Ride bikes, run mountains, climb, trek the long long routes, laze around in the sun reading a nice book, travel and generally do whatever the **** I liked.

Life is to short, and the world to full of beautiful places and people to ever get bored.

br
    Free Member

The answer probably depends on age and situation, so for us it’d be stop work and just continue with our life as it is.

Since we moved to the Scottish Borders three years ago and have a lovely old place with land and outbuildings, kids grown up (if I had the capital, I’d buy them their houses and cover any grandchildrens school fees) and no debts. Already have a cleaner and gardener.

I spent many years travelling the world with work, so with the exception of a couple of holidays somewhere warmer, we’d stay here.

Which tbh is what we’ll be doing in not many years time, when we retire early.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Cottage in the Dales. Pump track in the garden. Oh and a drum kit, always wanted a drum kit. Something to do ’til it’s a reasonable time to start drinking Theakstons.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

my dream would be to have a nice big place in the alps, id spend the majority of time out there skiing in winter riding in summer, but also kayaking, walking, climbing, paragliding… id take the odd fortnight holiday to my boat in the Adriatic, and maybe have an NYC apartment for the odd long weekend…

onandon
    Free Member

I’d do the same as I do now but without work getting in the way.
    Probably more cars and bikes involved, but pretty much the same 🙂

senorj

A big house in the lakes,one in London and another in Majorca.
    All with a large garage to house fleet of bikes etc.
    Lots of travelling during school hols.
    And I would like my own wood to manage & run a glamping site from it perhaps. My missus also dreams of a fair trade cafe selling yam byaked cyak. 🙂

willard

When I was younger, I wanted to buy an old aircraft hanger and convert it to be half house, half garage (with half a basketball court inside too!) and spend most of my days fixing classic cars. Then, when I got a little older I thought I wanted to buy a bit of a French valley (part wooded – Sweet Chestnut) that had some pasture, some fields and a bit of a river in it, and just spend my days working remotely and enjoying life as sustainably as possible.

Now I’m 40+, I have no idea. Part of me wants to go back to Afghanistan to just try and help the people there, maybe help run a hospital or school, but there’s a large part of me that just wants to be happy. Money will not be able to make that happen.

The comedy response would be to buy medium sized freighter, hire a load of former military types, fill it with and weapons and then go hunting pirates off the horn of Africa.

jimdubleyou

I don’t want much…
    December – February: Split between London apartment (10%) & European Alpine Chalet. Somewhere Ski in/out big enough for friends to come and stay. Somewhere I can also make twee furniture out of wood on bad ski days.
    March – April: Far East – maybe follow the F1 for a few weeks, rest of the time visit family and friends in Oz.
    May – June: South Pacific yacht cruising. Dive a day, sail a day, repeat.
    July – August – September: Med beach villa, but close enough to the mountains for some MTB fun.
    October – November: Somewhere new each year. Maybe a couple of weeks in Whistler if the season starts early.

sadexpunk

id spend 4 months of the year here (may-aug) with friends & family, then 8 months of the year renting places around the world, wherever took the fancy. 4 months here, 2 months there, move on again etc…

mogrim

bensales – Member
    Pay off the mortgage.
    Go back to uni to training some sort of sports medicine field.
    Buy a car that eats petrol. Actually several.
    Go on some long trips around the world with the family.
    Ride my bike more than twice a year that I’m doing at the moment.
    Train for a sub 3 hour marathon.

Pretty average really.

I’d do this, pretty much. Probably archaeology instead of sports medicine, and I’d get a couple of classic cars to eat petrol.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Get a mini digger and ticket, do trail repairs in the lakes a couple of days a week, ride my bike, mess about with my boys, go camping a lot, take up fly fishing again, house in sierra nevada for the cold months. Generally fettle and ratch about in an old landy. smoke a pipe.

growinglad
    Free Member

Spend my time between where I am now and Greece.

Spend summer’s mountain biking, or a small sailing boat that’s big enough to be comfortable, but still easy to single hand.

Learn to cook fancy food, have a nice big place with a big garden and pool. Throw parties/cool BBQ’s and have enough room to fit everyone in.

Have a small cabin in the mountains and spend winters skiing. Learn how to para glide.

Have enough money to send the kids to a really good school, but also have enough time to make sure they keep their feet on the ground. Take them on cool trips to see volcano’s, go fossil hunting, see wild animals in their natural surroundings.

Probably try and work on schemes that stop palm oil plantations and ripping up the natural jungle.

Work with charities that try and offer cycling experiences to people who might not be quite so able to just jump on a bike and go for a ride.

Buy a classic car, maybe a Rover and spend my days tinkering away in the Garage restoring it.

Basically, having enough time to do the things I enjoy (Enjoy work, but it does take up so much time). Thankfully my work/life balance allows me to spend a fair bit of time with the family.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My plan has started.. I haven’t told the Mrs yet… 😉

I went to see one of these little beauties at the weekend. I’ve been scratching the itch for about 6 years, known and sailed a few with mates, now is the time to do what I’ve been itching to do..

kimbers

Actually I’d like to take an archaeology degree , set aside 50k each for the kids uni fundand give enough cash to my folks so they didn’t have to worry about anything

franksinatra

A home on the west cost of scotland, sea loch to the front, mountains at the back. Two border collies, land rover and a rib for messing about on water.

A flat in Edinburgh for city weekends, and a house in a small village spain/france for summer riding and winter skiing.

I would also get fit. seriously fit.

HansRey

I’d set up a research unit to attract the best researchers in the fields of prosthetics, stem cell research and tissue scaffold research. I might even learn something by association.

Of course, it would be close to Bordeaux near the sand dunes and surf off Cap Ferret.

sazter

I am rubbish at bikes so I would get a coach and see if I could improve with serious focussed training, just to see if I can, maybe for a year to see what improvement can be made in that fixed time.

Then I would hop around the world, volunteering in different roles such as building schools etc for a few weeks in each location followed by a few weeks just enjoying and exploring that place before moving on to another place to volunteer again.

ononeorange

I do wonder if I’d actually give up work, but I think the lure of actually having some time would get me.

In that case, I can’t put it any better than franksinatra, two above.

doris5000

so the general consensus is that people would spend their time chewing midges and flying between their many houses? 😉

personally i would build a nice big music studio and go on a 3 – no, 4 – month rotation: 1 month working on my own stuff, 1 month working on stuff with local kids, 1 month at home reading/cooking/riding, 1 month dossing about and exploring some cool city like Copenhagen or Buenos Aires or Montreal

i would probably keep my 2 bed terrace although i might buy next door’s garden off him.

Daffy

Money no object?

I’d sail around the world in this whilst doing a part time PhD in Quantum Physics:

freeagent
    Free Member

for the next 10 years I would be enjoying doing the school run and spending time with my family.. we’d make the most of every school holiday and travel as much as possible.
    I’d learn some new skills – welding, blacksmithing and cookery.
    I’d quietly support a few charities, both home and abroad.

As the kids get older we’d do some more adventurous stuff, to give them as many experiences as possible.

Once they’re independent i’d spend time chilling out with my wife..

I’d buy a nice house near where we currently live, and maybe a place in the Alps.
    I’d buy an Audi RS6 Avant, a Landrover Defender and a Porsche 911 GT3 RS.

crazy-legs

Just travel.
    Probably have a house somewhere in the Lake District to return to once in a while but basically just spend the time travelling the world. Buy what I need as and when I need it, sell/give it away when I’m done with it and can move on.

doris5000

Just travel.
    Probably have a house somewhere in the Lake District to return to once in a while but basically just spend the time travelling the world. Buy what I need as and when I need it, sell/give it away when I’m done with it and can move on.

Genuine Q. There’s a few posts along these lines.

Would / do you not have any great attachment to family and friends? Your wife/husband and kids might come along, but friends, parents, nephews nieces?

Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘If money were no object – what would you do with your life?’ is closed to new replies.