Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)
  • If money were no object – what would you do with your life?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

(Cocaine and an endless supply of prostitutes being a given…)

What would you do? Keeping it sensible, we’re not talking about ‘I own the World and your Wife!, moohhaaa,haAAA!’ levels of stinking moolah. Just imagine that income isn’t really an issue in life, freeing you up from having to work for money.

The older I get the more this question scares me.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Tour the world on a bike of some sort.

jet26
    Free Member

Change my job plan so only worked four days a week.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A constant daily grind of helicopter uplifts.

mattbee

I’m currently sat in my caravan drinking coffee while my wife prepares poached duck eggs on toast. We’re about 2 miles from Stoughton so we’ll head over there for some dh riding before retiring to the pub for food, drinks & war stories.
    I’d quite happily do this permanently, maybe chasing the weather around Europe, chilling, riding, climbing or walking as the mood took me.

ferrals
    Free Member

Not much. Give up work, buy a house near where I live with a bigger garden to grow fruit and veg, ride my bike and surf a lot.

Being an xc mincer I’d probably get some personalised training advice from a coach and take training more seriously.

Oh an thinking about it relocate to sw france for 6 weeks from sept to mid October every year

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

go to space and take my bike with me. maybe go for a spin on the moon, always wanted to get some air 🙂

nuke

A *lot* of travelling but id hope I’d settle down somewhere after a bit and do something a bit more altruistic

bensales
    Free Member

Pay off the mortgage.
    Go back to uni to training some sort of sports medicine field.
    Buy a car that eats petrol. Actually several.
    Go on some long trips around the world with the family.
    Ride my bike more than twice a year that I’m doing at the moment.
    Train for a sub 3 hour marathon.

Pretty average really.

stevied
    Free Member

I’d still do the kind of thing I do now but for myself, making all the things I’ve got floating around inside my head.
    Lots of machining ideas but not enough time to do them at work.
    A Bridgeport GX1600 with 5th axis and a Mazak lathe with driven tooling in a purpose built workshop (a bit like Ironman’s) and I’d be happy camper..

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d own a small sailing business. 4/5 yachts, something sexy and fast but comfortable a few Wallys would be great. Then just charter them out and nimble on boats all day and night and morning and evening and…

crankboy
    Free Member

Modest house with large garden , very large scalextrix. Spend more time riding and walking in the countryside more time with my mum . employ someone to do the house work and wash up.

SaxonRider

Cycle a good deal more, and write.

I am torn between living in exactly the house I do now, and wanting to live on a farm.

Other than that, not much would be different.

convert

Currently live in a pleasant enough part of the world but one selected for work. I’d move ‘home’ somewhere I truly feel at home but where I can’t currently think of living because of lack of work. Probably west coast Scotland, specifically Gairloch area.

Having said that I’d want to travel. Blue water cruising yacht for long journeys and semi comfortable living would be a great way to pass time.

I’d need something meaningful in my life and couldn’t spend the rest of my days only in the pursuit of personal happiness. The time I spend in Africa doing useful stuff is great now and a bit more of that would be great. Or something local. I’d need to do something to help others and utilise the skills I have if I didn’t need to work for money.

martymac

id buy a ‘small’ farm somewhere in canada, and spend the rest of my days keeping reasonably fit, interspersed with scalextric and ice hockey.
    nice car, but run it til its actually dead, no outwardly visible signs of wealth, as i find that rather vulgar.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

go to space and take my bike with me. maybe go for a spin on the moon, always wanted to get some air

^ Best subliminal XTC reference of the week!

😀

[video]https://youtu.be/QQGXS4w1jK8[/video]

mrhoppy

Biking, skiing and boating bum is the life for me. Summers and winters in the alps spring and autumn in NW Scotland.

lunge

Big house on the shores of Lake Wakatipu on the outskirts of Queenstown, New Zealand. Ski all winter, bike all summer. Easy.

nedrapier

I’d own a small sailing business. 4/5 yachts, something sexy and fast but comfortable a few Wallys would be great.

Ha!

Friend of mine tried running a sailing business for a while and this was exactly his problem! The market is full of people who aren’t doing it for the money, just as a way of spending their days messing about on boats. Tricky to make enough to own premises, pay staff etc when that’s what you’re up against.

Not a problem for hypothetical you, though, obviously!

jools182
    Free Member

Give up work

Buy a house in France, somewhere near hills and the sea

Have a good sized shed or workshop, make things out of wood.

Buy an old Alfa or two, decent sized timber garage so I can tinker with them

Get a decent sized camper van, spend lots of time exploring Europe, Scandinavia, the Balkans

I think about it on a daily basis

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’d employ a ‘gentleman’ who would take care of bikes, skis, transport and logistics. Decent salary and fantastic adventures await.

“Load the van, pack the toys, book the tickets, see you in the Alps” would be a common phrase.

Then I’d dedicate myself to family and flying down mountains with mates as often as possible.

shooterman

I would move to the Dolomites and spend my time cycling, walking, reading, cooking, eating and people watching.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Set up the family business so the people we have are sorted,. Kids are still young so I wouldn’t move away from grandparents. I would spend Time around the globe skiing and biking, learn to surf.
    But first I would get rid of this cold and get fit.

As its hypothetical, if Corbyn got in I would leave.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Nine months selfish (travel, riding, etc.), three months selfless (voluntary work at hospitals, charities, etc.)

dazh

Pretty much the same as I do now, minus sitting in a bloody office all day. I suppose a nice second home in the Alps wouldn’t go amiss…

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’d spend less time at my desk and more time as an agricultural labourer.

I’m not sure I’ve thought this through properly.

Edukator
    Free Member

I stepped off the treadmill 13 years ago. Since then I’ve done very little with my life apart from enjoy it. I like where I live and travel mainly to accompany Madame and Junior. I don’t feel the need to tick the biggest hole in the earth’s crust, ride such and such a trail or whatever.

I watch probably too much news and documentary stuff on TV in various languages, waste time on here, DIY (I could pay someone to do it but enjoy working with my head and hands), read, swim, mtb, walk long distances/jog, clean (I don’t want a cleaner in the house), play guitar, ski, rock and roll dance.

In short I haven’t changed much, work was replaced with things I already enjoyed rather than anything life changing. Today I’m helping my son set up a gig he’s playing tonight, I’ll no doubt go and watch. While they are rehearsing I’ll noodle on a guitar and clean.

jimmy

live in a cabin in the woods with a couple of dogs (and the missus and daughter). To be honest, its not money that stops me doing that now, more the missus and daughter (bu thats not a grudge).

I would also ride the world on a bike and make good friends with gravity-slave.

badnewz
    Free Member

I’d live like Michael Winner: buy a yacht, sail around a lot, eat in high end restaurants.

ads678

Move somewhere near mountains where it’s hot in summer and snowy in winter.

Ride and snowboard.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I’d be moving to a Mediterranean coastline to enjoy some warm weather and decent cycling.
    I’d aslo spend my time designing affordable passive haus or minimal running cost properties.

wallop

Move to France. Ski in the winter, ride in the summer.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Spend my time training and doing martial arts. Then I would buy a mansion with a cave …..

Rorschach
    Free Member

Dignitas.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Eat out more often, invest in smart ethical start-ups and build a super villain lair in a dormant volcano.

mudshark
    Free Member

That’s what I want to do but can’t decide where.

Frustringly I could do this now if I could deal with leaving my over-priced house in Surrey and work out how to keep the family happy. Vaguely thinking I’ll retire when a lost my job and getting another that I’d be happy with paying a similar level seems unlikely.

yunki
    Free Member

With two small kids I’m tied to wherever their mum is for at least another ten or fifteen years so I’d be looking at a comfortable house with a good garden and a studio (yurt in the garden probably) and a medium/large motorhome (classic merc)..

I’d tour the UK with some sort of theatrical production in the summer, festivals and suchlike and head south in the winter..
    My other half would love an ethical wholefoods cafe with decent pay and conditions for her staff..

ferrals
    Free Member

mudshark – Member
    That’s what I want to do but can’t decide where.

My dream would be to move to hossegor/capbreton. Amazing waves, sandy pine forest singletrack from the door and 45mins drive to the Pyrenees.

mudshark
    Free Member

I was thinking somewhere near Biarritz but perhaps closer to the mountains – though if too close can get a lot of rain.

Capbreton looks pricey!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Probably something similar to now but working 2-3 days a week. Plus a fairly bling camper van and a lot of climbing and riding.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘If money were no object – what would you do with your life?’ is closed to new replies.