Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • If I'd broken a bone in my hand would I KNOW about it?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Had a stack on Tuesday. Just avoided hitting a tree with my face but the evasive action meant I landed very awkwardly and my right hand is really sore. Finding it very painful to make a fist. Pushing a door open is a no-no.

If there was a broken bone in there would it be obvious?

There is some swelling below my pinky but nothing huge.

ojom
    Free Member

You sound fine.

Crack on.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I broke a bone in my palm and rode another 7 miles, by which time it was sore enough to make it hard to remove my mitt…

iDave
    Free Member

how's the belly?

jumping_flea
    Free Member

I punched a wall by accident 5 weeks ago and I still can't properly move it or make a fist. Just pop into a and e and get it looked at – I should have dime that, but didn't, but I'm an idiot (according to the missus)

nickjb
    Free Member

When I broke my wrist it took 3 visits to the docs and one to hospital before it was diagnosed

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ooooh…low blow there iDave.

I reckon just a bit of bruising, if you'd broken something, I reckon you'd know. But hey, you can always ring your A&E and find out the waiting time…then decide whether you fancy an xray.

derek_starship
    Free Member

The belly is good. Getting smaller all the time but I still have a 9x6x2cm haematoma that I've been advised to live with. I was advised by two surgeons that scooping it out under GA would result in scarring and a high probability that it would re-fill with seromous fluid. I've decided to learn to love it.

Any name suggestions for the blighter?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I punched a wall by accident 5 weeks ago

Oh yeah….

jumping_flea
    Free Member

Yeh – was drunk and tried ago on a punch ball – missed and hit the wall at the side – doh

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I always tend to find that you feel a bit sick & get an adrenaline rush when your brake some thing. I broke a little finger whilst skiing, kept skiing for rest of day then went for X-ray where confirmed broken, advised not to ski for the rest of the week but did. Wish I hadn't has finger took about year to heal an now can't hold things quite properly including handle bars

toys19
    Free Member

Dude – x ray is the only way to know.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Dude – x ray is the only way to know.

I'm struggling for medical imaging kit in our house at the mo'.

Bought a pre-loved General Electric MRI scanner off the bay for £42 so should know by tomorrow night if it's broken 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

*Internet diagnosis is not to be trusted*

the normal rule of thumb is – if you think its broken it is not. When its broken you know it is

However this is by no means infallible. Swelling and difficulty in movement is a sign of a break. have a good feel / prod / squeeze along each of the bones in your hand. You are looking for a painful point.

If its not getting better tomorrow get yourself down the the GP or minor injuries clinic

toys19
    Free Member

the normal rule of thumb is – if you think its broken it is not. When its broken you know it is

I dunno where you got this from but mate a bone Dr (Consultant Orthopaedic surgeon) is standing beside me this very minute and says this is just not true and he has never heard it before. He says go to Casualty and they will examine you and decide if you need an X-Ray

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I thought i had sprained my wrist,turned out to be a broken bone in there,Thought it was hurting.

elaineanne
    Free Member

if pushing a door open is a 'no no ' as you say then id have it x-rayed just to be sure…

kevonakona
    Free Member

Having broken several bones in my hands at various times (all confirmed by X-ray at some point). It can vary from agonising floppy finger to the symptoms you describe. Get it checked majority of medical (and MR) people i've talked to and know would rather a wasted visit (and don't i feel silly) than something more serious.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

toys – I have heard it a lot over the years in different forms.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Derek, can you knock one off? If you can, then it's probably ok.

toys19
    Free Member

toys – I have heard it a lot over the years in different forms.

Fair enough, Dr Bones says don't perpetuate it as lots of people have poor union problems or poorly set bones as people say things like "if you can move it then its not broken" or "Man up" and never get help..

deadlydarcy – Member

Derek, can you knock one off? If you can, then it's probably ok.

Ho Ho

jon1973
    Free Member

I punched a wall by accident 5 weeks ago

Were you aiming for someones head?

BigJohn

bone Dr (Consultant Orthopaedic surgeon)

Surely that would make him a bone Mr?

dr_death
    Free Member

And tradition states that they drag their knuckles along the floor and can hardly string a sentence together so how he told you that I don't know…

😉

(oh, and don't bother ringing A&E to ask what the waiting time is…. If we answer those calls we always say 3-4 hours. We figure if you are well enough to ring and ask, you are well enough to wait)

Bunnyhop

Derek – you really are in the wars.
    Get yourself along to the doctor and let him have a prod and poke around.

We need you fit for HtN.

woody2000

If you've broken your scaphoid, even an x-ray might struggle!

flow
    Free Member

I thought I broke my little finger, went to the hospital, had an xray, and they said it was fine. Now its better it sticks out and looks like it was broken 100%

yetidave
    Free Member

broke my foot kicking a wall, doctor said it was bruised, x-ray said it was broken, tried to walk on it and caused more damage.
    several fingers broken (over a couple of years of playing cricket badly) doctor said just bruised, x-rays said otherwise.
    broke my wrist playing football badly, similar story.

only one way to be sure, especially if you think there maybe any displacement.

However, with my hand related injuries, I have left A&E with the same dressing which i went in with.

toys19
    Free Member

BigJohn – Member

Surely that would make him a bone Mr?

Yeah but I can't help calling him Dr as he only became a consultant a few years ago..

Drac

If there was a broken bone in there would it be obvious?

Possibly but not always a clue that it might be may be not being able to make a fist or putting any pressure on it say for example pushing a door.

nickc

I did the same thing last September, went up like a balloon, couldn't move it, felt sure I'd broken it, quick x ray confirmed it wasn't. still hurt like a bastid though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Toys – which is why I said if it ain't getting better tomorrow go to get a real opinion.

stumpy01

I broke a bone I'm my hand, went into work the next day and a first aider said it was likely just bruising and my boss told mg to stop being a girl and get on with it.
    Then a bloke who used to race motorbikes and had seen lots of mangled hands saw it and told me to get straight to a&e as it was clearly broken.

He was right! I'd get it looked at…

Jamie
    Free Member

I was convinced I had broken a bone in my foot….been GP and walk in centre (oh the irony) and they are saying tendon prob….which is probably worse 😥

Harry_the_Spider

Stuff your hand, is the new bike OK?

phead
    Free Member

I broke my 4th metacarpal the other year, didn't hurt, didn't swell up. Only thing I noticed was that when making a fist the ring finger didn't close correctly and crossed over towards the other finger.

As others have said , x-ray is the only way to tell.

bigyinn
    Free Member

did similar on sat, sore wrist + elbow, A&E sun am, not sure. Fracture clinic tues am, suspected radial head fracture (elbow bit).
    If in doubt get thy ass down to A & E.

DenDennis
    Free Member

just out of interest, those of you who have had broken hand bone diagnosed with Xray, what has the treatment been?
    when I broke my hand (punching my mates brother) the docs said there's nothing they would do any way, just put a bit of bandage around it for a bit…..

pixelmix
    Free Member

Bumpty bump. STW diagnosis required!

Any thoughts from people with very minor hand injuries?

Hurt my hand in a tumble at a race a fortnight ago. Very slight swelling and a bit of pain a few hours later, but no obvious bruising, and it is only a dull pain if I prod a certain bit of my palm (centre, towards my wrist) with my other hand.

Doesn’t sound like my scaphoid is broken (from what I have heard) and I have full use of my hand and fingers, can make a fist etc, albeit 2.5 weeks later, my palm is still a bit sore. I suspect that my wrist is slightly sprained, but it isn’t bad, and I’m sure it will sort itself out shortly.

Considering getting it x-rayed just to check, but I have a nagging suspicion that it might be a waste of everybody’s time. Is it possible that there is just some tissue damage to my palm which is taking a while to heal, or that a slight sprain in my wrist would extend to that part of my palm?

MTFU comments welcomed.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Sore palm, sprained wrist?

1. MTFU
    2. change hands.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘If I'd broken a bone in my hand would I KNOW about it?’ is closed to new replies.