Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • If i were to build a orange 5 (toughish like)
  • ton

20” orange five frame £1400
    lyric solo air £ 477
    pro2 20mm on mavic 729 front £ 104
    pro 12mm bolt thru 729 rear £ 179
    shimano saint fr&rear £ 250
    slx c/set £ 100
    thomson post £ 55
    thomson stem £ 55
    deore cassette £ 25
    slx rear mech £ 35
    slx front mech £ 25
    grips £ 20
    pedals £ 30
    tyres £ 50
    saddle £ 40
    h/set £ 50

total £2875

oh, i forgot this………… 😉

Liftman

you forgot the shifters :mrgreen:

ton

got some new gripshift attack waiting

Blower
    Free Member

you could get a heckler for £900 😉

ton

had a heckler………..never had a five.

just looked at the five am build list.
    mine above is more robust and comes out cheaper…………am i missing somethinng?

now what is the nicest colour

carbon337
    Free Member

BB? – the fsa ones dont last long I was told when buying my five so went Hope Stainless

Bars?

Plasma blue, Purple, white, or RAW or if they will do it.

Shorty121
    Free Member

I think lyriks on a 5 is abit much try for revelations saving £100 which could upgrade the drive train abit more

ton

bb, comes with c/set
    got some new 800mm wide bars waiting

Northwind

“pro 12mm bolt thru 729 rear £ 179”

Remember to be careful of what maxle you use in that, the Pro 2 12mm axle is a terrible design (it’s literally just the QR axle but with a bigger hole through it) so it needs a full thickness maxle, not a maxle lite or similiar.

TBH if I was building a bike that big I’d get an Alpine frame not a Five. What are you actually going to do with this indestructible monster truck?

carbon337
    Free Member

Lyriks on a five are ace. At 15st I wanted something stiffer after using Fox 32’s and dabling in the odd DH track.

Lyrik coil uturns – hardly ever wind them down.

ton

gonna be rad and awesome…………why 😉

vinnyeh

Frame will be 1500 with the maxle swingarm.

Might be just me but I’d put the steel freehub on the ProII if I was your build and power- especially with a Deore cassette. Or upgrade to an XT cassette as a minimum.

carbon337
    Free Member

+1

Or upgrade to an XT cassette as a minimum.

The std casette – pg950 i think ate my freehub after 3 rides. Orange replaced it with an XT after I complained. Hope told me that they had advised that this cassette shouldn’t be used.

ton

all noted. cheers.

carbon337
    Free Member

14 posts and nobody has mentioned:

ugly, expensive, break jack, overpriced.

I’m disappointed with this place.

accu
    Free Member

also had an heckler..
    now an 2010 five…with similar robust build….and lyric u-turn..
    perfect !!
    a months ago I changed the RP23 to an (older,well used) manitou swinger 4-ways with ti-spring…what a difference…real fun !!

whats your favorite colour..?

ton

not too overpriced if you build yourself.
    rip off if you buy a package……….imho.

ugly, hell yeah..like me 😉

steel4real
    Free Member

Hey Tony – sure you won’t need (want ?) a coil shock in that package ?

Also 729’s are going to be well heavy to pedal ??

A deore cassette will nibble away at the proII freehub body, it is recomended to have one with an alloy spider. SRAM PG990 are only £42 on CRC – in red.

Northwind

My 729s are as heavy as hell, they’re for going downwards only.

spock
    Free Member

you want some stans flows on there, make it pedalable

househusband

Go for it, Ton

(Means there’ll be some mint bargains to be had in the Classifieds a few weeks later.)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Who the **** cares if it’s Fugly eh? Are you gonna look at it or ride the **** thing?? ( I went with a lass from Harrogate who wasn’t pretty but Christ on a Bike, what a ride!)
    Do it Ton, just get one, you know it makes sense.

mildred

Ton, I’m 15 stone fully kitted and I think the pressures in the rp23 are a bit high; I’d buy a vanilla rc coil shock from loco or TF tuned.

Even for a big lad 729’s seem a bit excessive for trail use.

taka
    Free Member

what 800mm bars have you got ton?

GW
    Free Member

729s are a crap choice IMO and to the person that suggested SRAM cassettes they bend too easy IME.
    I’d go Saint chainset rather than SLX too.
    and why are you spending £20 on grips?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Try 721 rims, only about 50g heavier than the all mountain ones and seem popular amongst WC DH’ers (even as far as people running them stickered up as deemax) before they all shifted over to factory wheelsets.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I’m 15 stone and my RP23 shock just does not perform, so I swopped it out for a Vanilla R Push’d for trail riding awesome,also balances out the bigger fork by keeping the rear up in the travel, where the RP23 drops through its travel.
    ZTR Flows are a good compromise between weight and strength, 729’s are seriously heavy rims,
    I would go 10 speed slx with the double and bash up front, has steel pedal inserts and is built a bit stronger than the triple, and a short cage rear mech.
    I have the maxle back end which is super stiff, which my 08 Heckler wasn’t.
    and the best mod is a dropper seat post.
    And as said get an XT cassette as the SLX still eats the Alloy Pro II free hub, mine did.

ivantate
    Free Member

For me custom 5’s are ace, there should be more around. (although the slx/xt/hope m4/flows etc like mine has been done to death)
    I still think the grey is one of the best colours.

will sunset do a deal?

I would also be thinking Alpine with that build. A slightly lighter wheel would offset the weight but not the extra £ though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m 15st and ride the old XT cranks on a 456, steel inserts are a bit of a marketing con, there can’t be many pedals wider than mk2 burgtechs and they’ve never even given so much as a squeek of unwanted flex depite being used for eveything form dirt jumping to a week in spain.

mildred

The steel inserts aren’t to do with flex, but more to do with folk stripping threads when you get pedal strikes and hard landings from big drops etc. This is why they tend to be on more “hardcore” cranks, as they’re more likely to be subject to that type of abuse.

fivespot
    Free Member

Ton go for the Alpine 160 !. I’m 14+ stone (maybe 15 now), I’ve got a 5 & 160, both 2010, and much prefer the 160. Plus the rear suspension performes far better (both RP23’s) due to the more favourable shock ratio, 5=140 travel x 50mm shock stroke, 160=160 travel x 63mm stroke. No matter what forks you put on a 5, the back end still lets it down compared to a 160 8)

markenduro
    Free Member

Can you get an 18″ and then I’ll buy it off you next week when you sell it 😛

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘If i were to build a orange 5 (toughish like)’ is closed to new replies.