Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • If I use mineral brake oil in my Reverb…
  • richmtb

…Will I die?

Just in a pinch and just to bleed the remote lever line.

I snagged my lever hose on a tree and pulled it out and broke the barb at the lever. I ordered a new hose with barbs but forgot to buy any rockshox reverb oil.

Will shimano mineral oil do or would 5wt suspension oil be a better bet – no one near me seems to have any 2.5wt oil

Ta

Rich

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Richard, I’m going to Cathkin tonight, if ye come up I’ll bring some oil?.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Or if you can’t, try a motorbike parts place.

legend
    Free Member

Glasgow I assume then? If you can, head to Ducati on Great Western Road, they’ve got a cracking selection of oils (nice n cheap too).

Personally I’d be going for the 5wt, it’ll be a bit diluted in the system too which’ll help. Maybe the button could be ever so slightly stiffer to use though? (probably negligible if anything)

honourablegeorge

It’s 2.5wt suspension oil, AFAIK – not mineral oil or dot fluid.

I think the 5wt Oil would be best, doubt you’ll feel much difference. You can always flush it out later.

richmtb

Cheers guy,

Found a motorbike shop near by that has 2.5wt oil so problem solved

Greig what time will you be up in Cathkin?

jairaj

You risk the rubber seals swelling up and being damaged if you use a different specification of hydraulic fluid even if its mineral oil and not corrosive like DOT fluids.

Not sure how much this is manufacturers covering their arses or how much is really true.

I think if you stick to suspension oils though you will be fine. The post might be over damped with 5wt and return slower but should be OK.

iainc

Richard, Greg – I might be able to get a few laps in tonight – what time ? will need to negotiate a pass, so only 50/50 at the moment

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Planning on leaving the shire about 6.45, Cathkin 35 mins up the road from Prestwick.

iainc

Thanks Greg – If I can get out I’ll aim to be there for 7 ish, so will keep an eye open for you 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘If I use mineral brake oil in my Reverb…’ is closed to new replies.