Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • If I sold my XT brakes to buy some Hope mono minis would I seriously regret it?!
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

So here’s the deal, I’ve just bought some lovely new wheels (thanks to all of those who have given my all the hub and tubeless rim advice!) and so I’m selling my XT set. However, my XT wheels have splinned hubs so I was thinking I’d probably need to sell them with my rotors as I’d need to get new 6 bolt rotors anyway.

…so… that got my thinking, if I’m selling wheels and rotors – would I maybe be better off selling my brakes too and getting new brakes and rotors all together?

I figure this will be cheaper as the brakes and wheels are in fantastic condition and hope mono minis come up on the classifieds all the time…

However, having taken a while to get used to them, I do really love my XT brakes and so think I might regret it… The hopes on my ss are nowhere near as immediate or adjustable, but then I believe the new ones are supposed to be much better?

Has anyone tried both? Is it just a case of personal taste or is one clearly superior? Also – are the hope mono mini pros a lot better? If so, what kind of price do they come up at on the classifieds?

I can’t imagine anything stopping me better than the XTs – it’s just that hopes are much prettier!

markenduro
    Free Member

Get some new rotors for the XT’s, it will be cheaper and you are keeping a set of brakes which you know and like.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

+1 for the above

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stoner
    Free Member

+2

zokes
    Free Member

+3

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you want one set of brakes to last you the rest of your life go for the hopes. If you like changing kit every year or two don’t.

Its partly a matter of taste – I prefer the feel of the hopes but many folk don’t

Dibbs
    Free Member

+4
    and you have to take the wheel out to change the pads in the Hopes.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

+5. I’m thinking of swapping my Mono Minis that have Goodridge hoses on them and sexy floaty rotors for a set of SLX’s for goodness sakes. The other bikes have XT and LX discs on them, and I really do prefer them. They just feel better to me – and I really thought the Hope’s were the D’ B’s for a while.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

buy two of these linky. I’m using a 180 rear with my saint m800 and it works just fine. Seems very solid too.

you’ll get a pair for less than £30

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks guys, good to have some sense talked into me! I’ll stick with what I know and love…

Thanks for the links to the rotor – I might see if I can pick some up on the classfieds first though.

Thanks again for the sensible advice, the XTs are great – I don’t know what I was thinking really. Just having a form over function moment, I guess!

ackie
    Free Member

Mountain monkey I might have some spare XT centrelock rotors that I can flog you. PM me if your interested and I’ll post pics.
    Ackie

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘If I sold my XT brakes to buy some Hope mono minis would I seriously regret it?!’ is closed to new replies.