Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • If i remove the car oil filter will most of the oil come out?
  • swisstony
    Free Member

I've overfilled my car by about half a litre after changing the oil and i was going to have to remove the sump plug again but a friend said take off the filter and empty that but won't all the oil just come out?

I know the filter is above the sump but i'd of thought quite a lot would still come out??

ta

Gravy
    Free Member

Only the contents of the filter I'm afraid. 😕

cranberry
    Free Member

If you've put half a litre too much – what is the normal volume of oil in the engine?

swamp_boy

Gravy's right but most filters hold about ½ litre, so taking off the filter and emptying it might do the job, assuming you have started the engine to circulate oil into it. What is the overall sump capacity anyway? most cars have a reasonable tolerance of being overfilled, chances are it won't do a lot of harm.

antigee

most cars have a reasonable tolerance of being overfilled, chances are it won't do a lot of harm.

not sure i think some turbo diesels have very little but can't remember why all i can remember is had one rhat came with dire warnings and i always ran oil low – blocks injectors?

pinches
    Free Member

over filling with oil just damages the cat in the exhaust system normally, as that's it first port of escape when its running.

The oil level can be anywhere up to 5ltrs depending on the make/model. But like others have said, if you've run the engine to fill the filter, just empty it and refit.

NikNak7890
    Free Member
    swisstony
    Free Member

thanks, i couldn't get the filter off so took the sump plug out in the end. I took out half a ltr out but that was too much so ended up putting a quarter back in, it's 4.5 ltr capacity.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘If i remove the car oil filter will most of the oil come out?’ is closed to new replies.