Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • If I put a Minion DHF on the rear, should I fit it backwards?
  • eulach

ie direction of rotation the wrong way. Or will I die?

legend
    Free Member

Why are you thinking you’d want to? DHFs are good for cornering and braking so just keep it normal

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Why are you thinking you’d want to?

The logic on tyres that were reversed front to rear, as far as I can tell, is that
    – on the rear you’re trying to drive the bike forward so you want the ‘paddles’ on the tyre to face backwards
    – on the front you’re more concerned with braking so you want them to face forward

Cornering throws in a bit of complexity

Trimix
    Free Member

You will die, but probably not because of a tyre.

Fit it in the correct direction.

Its designed for a front wheel, so putting it on the rear is your first mistake (second is asking STW)

It wont be bad on the back, but not as good as a rear designed tyre. You will possibly notice a lack of slowing down.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I runa DHf on the back of my HT fitted normal way round and get a lot of abuse from my riding buddies. I ignore them as I like how it rides/feels 🙂

woodster

Fit it inside out to lower the rolling resistance.

Lots of people used to use DHFs as rears before the DHR II existed and were quite happy, but I’d definitely run it normal way round.

perchypanther
    Free Member

According to Maxxis it’s suitable for either front or rear wheel use.

I have them front and rear, the right way round.

Not dead yet.

legend
    Free Member

DHFs front and rear, both point the ‘right’ way. Jus’ sayin……..

kelvin

DHF are great on the rear… the right way around.

Andy-R

They’ll grip slightly better on climbs the “wrong” way round, at the expense of braking performance and probably a slight increase in rolling resistance.
    I’ve used a DHF on the rear but I think that the DHR makes a better front tyre if you want to play with swapping them about.

honourablegeorge

And DHR2s are great ont he front

Still waiting to see someone run DHR2 front, DHF rear.

Northwind

Have you already got it? DHR2 is a better rear imo (and a bloody good front too, in 3c). I don’t like the way the dhf slides, once it goes it just goes.

honourablegeorge – Member

Still waiting to see someone run DHR2 front, DHF rear.

I found it weirdly satisfying to use 2xdhr2 after years of 2xdhf, it’s the black circle of life

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I’ve run DHF front and back and DHR2 front and back. Both run the correct way. Both work well. Both roll well. Both grip well. But then I can’t really notice much difference between either, to be honest…

jruk
    Free Member

Whatever you don’t, make sure you have a Maxxis on the front and align the logos with the valve. That’s waaaay more important than grip and boring stuff like that.

Andy-R

Andy R – Member
    I’ve used a DHF on the rear but I think that the DHR makes a better front tyre if you want to play with swapping them about.

I meant DHR2, of course.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I like the DHF on the front and it was a great way to avoid the shower of shit that was the original DHR. I ran them the right way round.

Not sure I’d bother now that the DHR II is out because it’s bloody good. DHF / DHR II is my go to combo on both bikes.

StirlingCrispin

I run a DHF on the rear, and run it the wrong way round.

I haven’t died but have been off the bike for three weeks after a crash (non-tyre related – I clipped a trunk at the side of the trail and flipped over the bars)

eulach

Thanks for all the replies – if you don’t hear from me on Monday, you’ll know not to put a dhf on the rear.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘If I put a Minion DHF on the rear, should I fit it backwards?’ is closed to new replies.