Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • If I like Jura, what other single malts might I like?
  • geoffj

I’m guessing Laphroaig or Lagavulin would be similar?

Old Pulteney?

ton

edradour

mate trust me on this.

boxelder

Old P (£16 in Booths at the moment)
    Highland Park
    Talisker

Laphroaig and Laga… aren’t very Jura-like. Bruichladdich (spg?) may be your best bet from Islay

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    carbon337
    Free Member

Bowmore is a very good islay malt

edhornby

talisker, a bit more peaty but really good
    Highland Park, really drinkable
    bruchladdich for a non peaty malt
    bowmore 10 or 15 if you’re pushing the boat out a bit

Nick

Laphroaig and Lagavulin are nothing like Jura other than being all called whisky, nor is Talisker. All of these are peaty and medicinal in character. Jura doesn’t use peat kilned malt and so is much mellower.

Old Pultenay is probably the closest of those that have been mentioned, Highland Park is considerably nicer than Jura or OP imo.

tony_m
    Free Member

Bruichladdich, Glen Scotia, Highland Park, or Springbank?

ton

only had lagavulin once, and it tastes like tcp.
    nasty stuff.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I bought some Islay once, a whole bottle of it. took me 3 years to get through it, if it had been purple I might have had a clue…

But at another point I did have a nice Speyside, and I thought Jura was ok too

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Caol Isla is very nice as well. Another Islay malt but fairly mellow, would put it alongside Jura Superstition but not quite as sweet.

JonBurns
    Free Member

If you like Jura nip to your local Co-op as it £17.99 a bottle (£10 off) 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Jura is not very peated and is more like a regular highland malt than its island neighbours. So I suggest Highland Park, Dalwhinnie and possibly Oban which are not too dissimilar in style. I don’t really like Jura much actually, and don’t think it a patch on those three, at least for the style.

I recommend getting Michael Jackon’s excellent Malt Whisky book, published by Dorling Kindersley

boxelder

I recommend getting Michael Jackon’s excellent Malt Whisky book, published by Dorling Kindersley

I read that as Michael Jackson – which opened a curious window in my mind

geoffj

Thanks folks – lots to think about here.

I may try and track down a bottle of Jura Superstition

tony_m
    Free Member

I may try and track down a bottle of Jura Superstition

Got a bottle t’other day at Booths, £25 down from £30. Not tried it yet, saving it for next weekend! 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

I have bought from Waitrose 3 bottles of Old Pulteney and 1 bottle Talisker to give as present. Old Pulteney at £20 per bottle and Talisker at £25.59.

I only bought Old Pulteney because someone said to me that it was rather good while Talisker (recommended by everyone) is even better apparently.

I was tempted to try Jura at Co-Op selling for £17.99 yesterday but found out one of the person that my present supposed to go to does not drink whiskey anymore but Port (Dow is better) so now I have a bottle of Old Pulteney with me … hope it is up to my taste otherwise I would like to try Talisker.

Hmmmm … I might end up collecting Whiskey … d’oh!

Check out this rating if you think they have similar taste as you do.

Whisky-pages

p/s: some supermarket are selling Talisker with life boat box … think it is for the life boat charity (not sure as I just had a quick glance …)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I might end up collecting Whiskey

I’m terrible at collecting it [hick!]

unsponsored
    Free Member

Picked up some Bruichladdich Rocks today at Morrisons. Very nice. Also came with a free glass. 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

I got given a bottle of Laphroaig quarter cask the other day and found it very nice. Judging from other posts its not what your looking for but I liked it, its my first whiskey but will have to try some more 😉

maccruiskeen

Cougar

Good god. Laphroaig? No.

Try Highland Park, for starters. If your budget stretches to it, Benromach Organic is ace.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Highland Park is a bit TOO easy to drink. Me and my missus attacked a bottle on New Year’s Eve of 2006. Caution was thrown to the wind. Poppy turned three this October…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

edradour

mate trust me on this

Trust me as well. I got a bottle for ‘a special occasion’ Wasn’t long before it got opened at a barby.
    Lovely stuff.

I think I’m getting a bottle of Caol Ila for Crimbo off me boys. Old Pultenay’s a fave of mine too, & Dalwhinnie, & Glenmorangie, & Glenfarclas, &………………………………

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don’t worry about all that Scottish rubbish; what about some lovely Isle of Dogs 12-year old malt? Hand-made with purest Thames Water.

I can get you some cheap, just let me know.

Kunstler

[quoteHeathenWoods – Member
    Highland Park is a bit TOO easy to drink. Me and my missus attacked a bottle on New Year’s Eve of 2006. Caution was thrown to the wind. Poppy turned three this October…[/quote]

That’s lovely but I hope you gave her an appropiate middle name.

Bruichladdich Rocks, sold in Morrisons is your next step up from Jura. It’s just slightly smoky/peaty but very smooth. I biked from the distillery on Jura (I thoroughly recommend a visit to Craighouse) across Islay to Port Charlotte and then passed the Bruichlaiddich distillery to Portnahaven where I had a real education in the pub there. One lager, forty whiskies (this may actually be an exaggeration but serves to prove the point). The result of that evening was that Bruichlaidhich is brilliant. The following day was my birthday – after the hotel dinner we visited the distillery and got a little bit pissed on the generous samples. A lovely beach followed and then a long road ride that culminated in wild camping at a staggeringly beautiful beach and cooking sausages at almost midnight. This is the magic of a good whisky*.

*some of this may have been co-incidence or just pure romantic re-imagining. hic.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My suggestions of HP and Oban were a bit duff according to that chart! Probably some truth in it, as Knockandu 12yo, Livet 12yo and Fiddich 12yo are close to Jura and I don’t like them much either. (Fiddich 18yo is good IMO and I do also quite like Livet 15yo tho).

Hey ho. I’d stay off the peaty stuff initially and work you way up that chart slowly.

Waderider
    Free Member

Just a bit of abuse for Jura whisky.

Whisky starts basically clear and gets its colour from the wood of the casks it is matured in. If the distiller uses a batch of casks that don’t leach much colour the whisky may come out pale at bottling. Some of the better distillers e.g. Bruichladdich simply bottle the whisky pale. The alternative tends to be to add caramel to the whisky at bottling. This produces the rich colour many consumers want to see. Unfortunately it changes the taste of the whisky and in my view is the waste of a dram. Jura are pretty bad at doing this with their regular bottlings, and for that reason it is a poor malt.

Then again, I probably enjoyed it before I knew that.

mudshark
    Free Member

I often buy a bottle of whatever’s going cheap at the supermarket – as long as it’s a one I’ve read about. I have a dozen or so on the go at anytime and their from all over that chart but love them all and pick which one I’m in the mood for when want a drink.

Spud

Bought a bottle of Laphroaig quarter cask yesterday, by God it’s like antiseptic. I think I’ll stick to something a little simpler.

firestarter
    Free Member

spud that quarter cask is lush my first proper bottle of whisky as i said above and i love it. ive just over christmas tried glenfiddich 12,15,18 , dalwhinnie, singleton, talisker and glenkinchie (spelling my be off as im just testing my latest buy , a bottle of jura superstition i got today.

all in all my fave has been the laphroaig qc and probably second the jura . my god it could be an expensive hobby this just like mtb 😉

Spud

I’m with you on the expensive hobby bit! Currently four in the cupboard: the Laphroaig, Bruichladdich, Cardhu and Balvenie Doublewood. It’s a terrible habit, luckily my other half likes it a lot!

firestarter
    Free Member

mine doesnt , i call that lucky lol

leffeboy

Think is has to be highland park or dalwhinnie after the jura although personally I’d get tore into the caol ila. However, you really shouldn’t trust a man who is enjoying this at the moment. The belgians are coming although it may be a good few years yet.

firestarter
    Free Member

well after living in belgium a few years back if they can use any of that beer knowledge and transfer it to whisky it wont be bad 😉 i love belle vue kriek

iDave
    Free Member

Monkey Shoulder, saw off a big bottle two nights ago with a girly friend. Yummy.

Xylene
    Free Member

Looked at that MOnkey Shoulder a few times, but it’s never been cheap enough to risk

Singleton has been 20quid at late.

Has anybody tried the Japanese whisky

fontmoss
    Free Member

think talisker was reduced in off licence near the in laws, will rack my brains for the name

EDIT: its an oddbins but offer isn’t on their site, hope i didnt dream it 🙁

iDave
    Free Member

Yamazaki is lovely

Monkey Shoulder isn’t a risk, apart from the risk connected to drinking vast amounts of whiskey

firestarter
    Free Member

i nearly bought the yamazaki today will bear that in mind as it seems to get good press

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I’m quite partial to Jura these days. Probably because my local Co-op regularly knocks it down to £17 a bottle. The inlaws got me a bottle of Jura Superstition for Christmas. Good on them, I’m certainly not complaining, but I prefer the unpeated version of it.

Other malts of a similar ilk, which I enjoy, and you might, would include:

Springbank
    Edradour
    Glengoyne
    Bruichladdich Rocks – peated but not to the extent of other Islay malts.

Can’t think that I’ve ever tried Old Pulteney – need to give it a blast, as it seems pretty highly rated on here.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘If I like Jura, what other single malts might I like?’ is closed to new replies.