Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • If I had a Santa Cruz V10 and a time machine…
  • chakaping
    Free Member

What odds would the bookies give you on an as-yet-nonexistent football team spanking Man United in the League Cup?

bombjack
    Free Member

After inventing the time machine, he could go back in time an bet all his Iill gotten gains on freakish sporting event outcomes

That’s a great idea for a film! Would probably need to be a sequel though, with a first part setting the scene a bit.

Man that’s heavy…

njee20
    Free Member

Is something wrong with the earth’s gravity in the future?

cookeaa

1994 MSA:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwp6ER3ApHY[/video]

Muddy, wheels on the ground type stuff by current WC standards I’d say…

I don’t think a V10 would be much of an advantage there and then, TBH a Bronson or similar #Enduro chariot with a good pair of modern 2.5″ general purpose UST tyres would probably be more use…
    A really big travel bike like the V10 would be largely pointless, but slack angles and 5-6″ of suspension that let a rider carry more speed in and out of blown out, flat corners and over rocks and roots could have a taken a bottom – mid place finishing rider of the day to the podium I reckon…

Don’t forget we this was only a couple of years before Palmer and Intense M1’s hit downhill and arguably started turning it into what we’d recognise today as “Modern” DH…

joefm

Tyres, Brakes and suspension. I think anything vaguely technical you would have a chance at doing well.

bombjack
    Free Member

BTTF references aside I reckon you’re massively underestimating how fit pro riders were BITD. Don’t forget they were all racing XC on Saturday and DH on Sunday. I reckon they’d still get the win.

dday

I dunno. I think it would level the playing field pretty well. Still, probably not a win, but close.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want a V10 but something more like a Whyte T129. Tyres would make a huge difference I think they were shit back then I don’t know myself as I was 4.

njee20
    Free Member

You reckon the difference between a chipper and a world champion of 20 years ago is tyres!?

I definitely think folk are underestimating the riders of yesteryear.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Don’t forget they were all racing XC on Saturday and DH on Sunday.

On the same fooking bike too by the looks of it! Hats off to them, they look pretty fast even on those sketchy rigs. I don’t think I’d be going that fast on my modern Enduro in that mudfest to be honest.

So that would be a no for me personally, but I reckon a reasonable amateur racer on a modern enduro rig would beat them on that course. Any of those guys on a modern full-sus rig would have a colossal advantage.

zippykona

Those 94 bikes look like they have hipster fixie bars.

Steve77
    Free Member

There must be a track somewhere in the world that the pros raced 20 years ago and we can compare times to?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Maybe it was just me but those 1993 bikes looked like they were making hard work of that 1993 course, they are all over the place. Im not convinced I wouldn’t be going similar speeds on a modern day enduro bike on that course, and I’m not very fast at all. Biggest issue would be fitness i reckon…

That said I may be talking out my ass.

Steve77
    Free Member

The first Megavalanche was in 1995. I think the course has stayed roughly the same as it still starts and ends in the same place, and would give you a good idea as to how pro and amateur times have evolved, if they even timed it back then.

The earliest result I can find on their site is from 2001 when the winning time was 1:04:14, and has come down gradually since then to the winning time in 2013 which was under 40 minutes, and in that year a time of 1:04 wouldn’t have got you in the top 300.

I can believe a strong amateur (typically finishes in top 20% of field) would win a race if they could go back in time 20 years with a modern bike.

Hicksy
    Free Member

Watching that video, I wonder why no one thought of long, slack and low bikes back then – it seems obvious now of course. The old klunkers would have probably been more stable than those bikes! I know it looks like they where having pedalling a lot, but it looks like most of them were sat down whilst trying to get around the corners.

moonboy
    Free Member

Mega times can’t be compared. Different levels of snow pack year to year make a massive difference IMHO

fr0sty125
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    You reckon the difference between a chipper and a world champion of 20 years ago is tyres!?

I definitely think folk are underestimating the riders of yesteryear.

I think those riders had awesome skills but lets face it their bikes were shit! I bet some of the guys here who race enduro and the like would stand a chance.

Steve77
    Free Member

Well they’ve been coming down pretty consistently so it doesn’t seem to make much difference. The snow only effects the first 5-10 minutes of the race.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘If I had a Santa Cruz V10 and a time machine…’ is closed to new replies.