Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • If i brought a Shimano wheelset, but had a Campagnolo set up, could I ………
  • doodlebug
    Free Member

Got the chance of a really good secondhand wheelset for the new cross season, but the wheels are for a Shimano set up, but i’m running Canpag, if i had the wheels, is it just a matter of swapping the freewheel hub and cassette for Campag ?

smell_it
    Free Member

Yep.

beefheart
    Free Member

Brought/bought.

Which did you do?

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Miche do a cassette that has Shimano fittment but runs campag gearing

mattsccm
    Free Member

Not many wheels allow you to swap from one type of freehub to another.
    If yours do great, just swap them. If you are stuck with a Shimano freehub there are several options.
    1. Get a cassette with Shmano splines and Campag spacings. Several expensive versions eg American Classic,plus Miche and Ambrosio which as more sensibly priced. I use the latter. 10 speed only availible.

2. You might well get away with it. Set the indexing on the middle sprockets, and the overall travel of the mech won’t me much out. A touch of wear in the chain etc and the lack of precision will be less than that caused by mud etc.

3. Shimergo involving modified ways of clamling your cable. In a Campag 8 speed set up I find 105 mechs on a Shimano cassette sweeter to shift than a cheaper Campag mech. Hunt the CTC site for Shimergo. See what Sheldon Brown has to say as well.

doodlebug
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies folks, little but wiser now…..

slugwash
    Free Member

Highpath Engineering do a variety of cassette spacers to convert Shimano hubs to Campagnolo gears/shifter set ups and vice versa. They’re about £20. I’ve respaced a Miche shimano cassette for my 9 speed Campag shifters but have lost one sprocket due to the slight difference in spacer and sprocket dimensions, although some people have managed to shoe-horn all nine sprockets on a Shimano compatable freewheel.

The Miche cassettes are good for this as they’re not all bolted together so there’s less faff separating them all to respace them. The downside is that you can only use lower end cassettes that consist of individual sprockets that are not mounted on an alloy carrier.

I hope I’ve confused you enough 😉

The other, possibly better, option is to use a Jtek Shiftmate. SJS cycles sell them in the UK.

I don’t know what speed Campag you’re running but, as mentioned above a Shimergo set up might be possible.

Good luck.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘If i brought a Shimano wheelset, but had a Campagnolo set up, could I ………’ is closed to new replies.