Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • If concorde used to fly faster than sound…
  • igm

…could you only speak to people nearer the back of the plane than you were?

Silly answers preferred

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

More to the point did passengers hear engine noise when they were flying?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak.

djglover
    Free Member

As a tourettes sufferer concord was great, I could abuse the staff to their face and they never knew anything about it. Unfortunately it wasn’t faster than the speed of light, I found this out to my surprise when I got caught ****.

Wookster

Lasers…………simples…..

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well as someone who has flown it I can confirm that it is possible to ask the waiter for more champagne, but that was a more horizontal direction of voice as opposed to front to back 😀

rs
    Free Member

Well as someone who has flown it I can confirm that it is possible to ask the waiter for more champagne

you really shouldn’t drink when you are flying it!

scaredypants

As a member of the mile high (and over-before-you-know-it 😳 ) club, I can confirm that all you could hear on concorde was the squeaking of the treadmill’s bearings

Kahurangi

I once had a job application for (for an ice-cream cafe) on which the final question was

If you were driving a car in the dark, travelling at the speed of light and turned the headlights on, what would you see?

I wrote a page.

I didn’t get the job.

votchy
    Free Member

Don’t know about speaking to people behind you but concorde could sneak up on you and make you jump 😯

wwaswas

I think the reason they never did a military version was that, because it literally flew faster than a speeding bullet, it would have shot itself down with its own machine guns.

igm

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I think the captain is winning so far.

By the way sorry for posting in bikes not chat – at least no one seems to care too much.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m just glad it was decommissioned. Ugly, inefficient piece of crap that it was. It had had its day.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Ugly, inefficient piece of crap that it was. It had had its day

You’re thinking of the Tupolev, Honey

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You’re thinking of the Tupolev, Honey

Nope, definitely thinking of the concorde. In Bristol, there were meatheads crying on the day it made its last flight. It’s just a bloody plane. A crap, dangerous, inefficient one at that.

julianwilson
    Free Member

i liked the story (?urban/aviation myth?) of the pilot who on a wander round the aircraft mid-flight, put his bag in a handy little alcove he found somwhere. It turned out to be an expansion joint of sorts so the outside could stretch with the heat and the inside trim wouldn’t fall apart. So when he went back to look for it after they landed it wasn’t there, prseumably trapped behind the insides of the aircraft.

farmer-giles
    Free Member

djglover – excellent! 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You just have to talk more quickly.

BigJohn

That’s not a myth, Julian. It often happened that pilots put their cases in that slot and had to wait until the next flight to retreive them.

On the last flight of each Concorde the flight crew all stuck their caps into the slot so they are now wedged there in perpituity.

philconsequence
    Free Member

ahhh you see my grandad worked on the communication systems for concorde so i feel i can answer this with some authority:

a high-tech communication system was developed based on something refered to as GTS (girly-teen-speek) well known to be the fasted form of communication on earth. all passengers were asked to wear headsets to communicate with each other and normal conversation was passed through a filter before being played into the recipients headset. for example:

original statement:

“what are your opinions on the current socio-economic situation in developing russia old chap?”

translated and sped up into GTS:

“like totally like whats your like viewz on like stuff like innit?”

as you can see the word count is dramatically reduced too which is a bonus.

HTH

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Not having a conversation with your cabin mates on a transatlantic Concorde flight must have been far easier than on a jumbo.

By far the most relaxing way to fly is in a plane with no capacity for any Yemenee freight.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘If concorde used to fly faster than sound…’ is closed to new replies.