• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • If bibs are more comfy than shorts…
  • qwerty
    Free Member

… why don’t more of us wear braces with our jeans instead of a belt?

Surely it’d finish off the bearded, checkered shirt look perfectly.

(saw a lad wearing braces & jeans today & it got me wondering)

#hebtroco

DiscJockey
    Free Member

They’re not necessarily more comfy. The higher-end of the market are all bib-shorts, so they’re inevitably more comfy or at least have better quality padding. The bib section is just to stop them falling down, and it allows the waist area to remain loosish. With non-bid shorts you need some sort of elastic waist-band, which might cause discomfort after a long time. However, I find bib-shorts slightly uncomfortable in hot weather. The trick is to get a pair that don’t feel tight around the shoulders and back, yet are just the right ‘tightness’ around the legs/backside. Best to try them on.

I can’t comment on anything hipsterish…..I can only give boring practical advice 😉

manvstarmac

There’s a whole Freakonomics podcast episode on belts vs braces (or suspenders as the Yanks insist in calling them

How Did the Belt Win? (Ep. 221)

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Because normal clothing isn,t all about comfort, but about how you look, clothing for cyclists is pretty much the opposite

bruneep

Are you sure?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I wear my jeans to the pub and my bibs on the trail, it’s fit for purpose

fifeandy
    Free Member

Got to say i actually prefer non bibs, but generally cant get them in higher end stuff. Gore Oxygen are about the best non-bibs i know of.

belugabob
    Free Member

Gradually switching to bibs, as my non-bib shorts wear out, as I appreciate the lack of an elasticated waistband.
    Still tend to wear baggies over the top, when riding MTB, due to the more hard wearing material and the more demanding environment.

saw a lad wearing braces & jeans today & it got me wondering

You want to be careful which websites you post that statement on 😉

mattbee

I wear normal shorts mainly on the mountainbike, with baggies over as Lycra is just so unEnduro I’d rather die, of course. On the road I much prefer bibs as the waistband doesn’t dig in when I’m in my super aero tuck (trying to avoid my belly hitting my knees whilst hands rest on hoods), I think it doesn’t matter so much on the mtb as I’m in a more upright position.
    Add a string vest type base layer to bins for a look any woman would have to be unconscious not to resist…

ppapa
    Free Member

… why don’t more of us wear braces with our jeans instead of a belt?

Why not bib jeans then? I keep meaning to buy them for over half a dozen years now.

qwerty
    Free Member

We’re talking dungerees now 😯

ThePinkster

Dungarees you say?
    I’m sure they were quite fashionable a while back…

Not sure how they’d feel on the bike though.

crikey
    Free Member

Been done…

crikey
    Free Member

DanW
    Free Member

Bib shorts on the bike make sense because when you are spending most of the time bent over the last thing you want is a waist band digging in. If that also describes your day to day life then I guess dungarees/ braces do indeed make sense… 🙂

iainc

Recently discovered Gore Alp X 2 in 1’s. Without doubt the comfiest piece of MTB apparel I have ever worn !

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes, but they look like a skirt! Mate of mine takes a proper ribbing for those. 😆

philjunior
    Free Member

The only reason I don’t wear braces is because they’d not suit my other clothes. If I could hide them under my top like bibshorts, I would, except for the going to the bog issues that would ensue. So I guess there are now 2 reasons, but I only just thought of one of them.

iainc

Nobeer – they feel a bit odd too ! Mine are reserved for longer warm rides…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘If bibs are more comfy than shorts…’ is closed to new replies.