Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • If any of you are heading to GT or Inners today…
  • Smee
    Free Member

… be careful as there is a fair bit of diesel on the road between the roundabout in Peebles and the turn off for the Esheils Recycling place.

Gary_M
    Free Member

what tyres for diesel spill.

Smee
    Free Member

Any as long as you dont drive like a ****.

crikey
    Free Member

Goan, while you're here, good road rides up there?

I was thinking of the Peebles-Moffat-Grey Mares Tail-Innerleithen loop, but are there any others you'd recommend, road conditions notwithstanding?

Gary_M
    Free Member

take in the devils beeftub from Moffat, and if you're road riding round that way then you can't miss riding Talla. The Grey Mares Tail road to Moffat isn't really very nice – anytime I've ridden it it's been a relentless slog into Moffat – do it from Moffat and it will be a lot better.

Smee
    Free Member

Yes, hundreds of them and mostly on quieter roads than the ride you suggest. What kind of ride are you looking for?

Innerleithen, Tibbieshiels, Selkirk, Clovenfords, Heriot and back to Innerleithen is good.

As is Innerleithen, Tibbieshiels, Eskdalemuir, Boreland, Moffat, St Marys Loch, Innerleithen.

I would say that the road biking down here is better than the mountain biking and thats saying something.

crikey
    Free Member

We've always thought that the roads looked good, and might get our act together to bring road bikes as well as mountain bikes next time up. The Peebles-Moffat-Innerleithen thing seemed an obvious loop, but that kind of 40-50-60 mile thing would suit.

I'll get looking on the map…

Smee
    Free Member

Another nice loop would be Peebles, Broughton, Talla, Gordon Arms, Tibbieshiels, Ettrickbridge, Yarrow, Gordon Arms, Innerleithen, Peebles. That is a bit longer than 60 miles though.

crazy-legs

I did a good road ride from Melrose out to Innerleithen then back – can't remember the exact route but it was all on mostly very quiet roads apart from a little bit just outside Innerleithen. Think that was about 60 miles.
    As Goan says, loads of great road riding up there.

Tour of Britain starts from Peebles on 14th September, heads out to Gretna Green via Newcastleton.
    Details HERE

crikey
    Free Member

Ta.

Northwind

The grey mare's tail road is amazing with 2 wheels and an engine but it's a bit up-and-down for pedals I think, barely a flat bit on it. Not to mention too many damn idiots on motorbikes flying around :mrgreen:

But, the road over the hills from Edinburgh to Innerleithen- the B709 I think it is- is very nice to pedal, though it does have one pretty dull straight bit. Nicest from Edinburgh end I feel.

Smee
    Free Member

Northwind – You see if I had a tenner for every motorbike I'd seen fall of of that road, I'd have enough for a nice set of wheels by now. Too many changes of surface, loose gravel and sheep shit to make it safe to blast along.

Northwind

Yup, it's not a road for the knee down brigade that's for sure, but I love it for that. Won't ride it with groups any more though, there's always some idiot…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘If any of you are heading to GT or Inners today…’ is closed to new replies.