Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • If a policeman stops me on my bike without justification…
  • jhw
    Free Member

and then gives me a long rant for no reason, with no basis in law, can I – legally – just tell him to fvck off, and cycle on? Or omit the "fvck off", but just ride on anyway? If either of these responses will land me in the station – what will be the legal basis for this?

I ask because a few mornings ago on my commute, a cop pulled me over and shouted at me for quite some time, for, I kid you not, performing a f*cking bunnyhop – over a pothole, on a badly maintained road. I actually explained to him "I was going over a pothole", and he literally replied "never mind the potholes, I have just seen you perform a jump in the road for no reason whatsoever". A real brain of Britain! He then went on about "where is your bell", "where is your helmet", etc.

I just said "yeah, good point", but I felt so emasculated and wish I'd told him to fvck himself with a pinecone.

I'm a trainee solicitor and do some good human rights work, I know about the grounds police need to arrest and stop and search you. But what is their legal basis for simply stopping you for a word? Was the cop berating me, in law, equivalent merely to some yob shouting at me in the street, in which case I could duly have told him, er, where to go?

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Complain to his boss.

Stoner
    Free Member

Were your jeans rolled up?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    Were your jeans rolled up?

Were they really your jeans?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you run off he runs too then books you for something. Power trip for losers unfortunately.

You could try the "I'm a trainee solicitor" angle 😀

sc-xc

I am yet to meet the copper that will stop me when I'm on my bike. Round here, there's always a few fat knackers on their Police mountain bikes riding on the pavements and looking all red faced – It would be an interesting, but ultimately short chase.

avdave2

Always ask for their number. Always know the name of his Chief Constable and his hobbies and tell PC it'll make an interesting conversation next time you meet the CC at the golf club tennis club or local dogging site depending on CC's hobbies.

Crag
    Free Member

He's probably been on here in the past saying you don't need to bunnyhop to ride a bike.
    Jealous fat knacker with a badge I reckon.

grumm
    Free Member

But was it a 'proper' bunnyhop or were you clipped in – maybe that's what he was annoyed about? 🙂

highclimber
    Free Member

Sounds like he was having a bad day, maybe a pregnant woman had just pissed in his helmet and had to wear it for the rest of the day?!

deluded
    Free Member

Chalk him up as a nob and move on. If you tell him to **** off you will solicit more abuse of power by way of fixed penalty or worse. Was he a Traffic Cop? They're a breed in their own right 😆

ken_shields
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    You could try the "I'm a trainee solicitor" angle

V funny…..that would probably go down as well as when a mate said "That's police brutality,that is" to a Sergeant in the Metropolitan Polices Special Patrol Group and got thrown at a Transit van for his comment followed up with the Plod shouting at him "I'll ****' show you Police brutality"

Was v scary at the time

jhw
    Free Member

why is a pregnant woman pissing in a helmet worse than a normal woman pissing???

oh yeah I don't even acknowledge cops on bikes, but this guy was in a car and there was no traffic (he gave me the siren for said bunnyhop).

clipped in and whipped 🙂

sc-xc

^ but really, how is he going to issue a FPN?

– Oi

– What

– You shouldn't ride on the pavement/bunnyhop potholes/whatever

– OK

– What's your name son, I'm going to fine you

– OK. See ya.

pedal away.

deluded
    Free Member

Section 5 Public Order, Wanton and Furious Cycling (believe me it exits), whatever else takes his fancy EDIT once he's rammed you off your bike.

highclimber
    Free Member

swearing at him will cause him to either; cry (not likely) or; arrest you for 'breach of section 5 of the public disorder act' (most likely)!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

It also helps to live next door to the chief inspector, quoting his name normally sorts out overly cocky young PC's. Don't mention your a trainee solicitor it will be like a red rag to a bull, coppers hate solicitors.

highclimber
    Free Member

why is a pregnant woman pissing in a helmet worse than a normal woman pissing???

because I think its one of those ancient laws that a pregnant lady is allowed to use the helmet of a bobby on the beat if they are caught short. the same law doesn't apply to the non-pregnant

samuri
    Free Member

ask him if you've broken any laws and if not, are you free to go.
    You'd not broken any laws.

jhw
    Free Member

I like that Samuri – simple but on point – it fully conveys the purest "f*ck you" message I'm looking for, but is in no way disorderly or obscene, such that if I did end up in the station I could properly nail him with the IPPC.

Stoner
    Free Member

If he cant catch me on his "Smith and Wesson" anal intruder, then he cant ticket me…keep up plod!

deluded
    Free Member

The IPPC would not handle a complaint of that sort. It would be up to the local inspector to resolve.

jhw
    Free Member

true that

R979
    Free Member

I had plain clothed one tell me off and threaten to fine me in Belgravia because I had stopped with my front wheel across the solid line at a set of lights 🙄

My jeans were rolled up so I suppose it's a fair cop.

jhw
    Free Member

It would have been justified if you'd been pulling a stoppie!

I should've done a massive wheelie after his rant (through the traffic he was stuck in), his melon-like skinhead would probably have exploded!

highclimber
    Free Member

The IPPC would not handle a complaint of that sort. It would be up to the local inspector to resolve.

10/10 for pedantry!

deluded
    Free Member

Cheers, I rage against inaccuracy.

highclimber
    Free Member

Rather that than rage against the Machine!

deluded
    Free Member

I am … 'The Machine'. Sorry, few too many Peroni, off to bed soon!

brakes
    Free Member

conversely I've seen two fat cycle coppers at a busy junction; one was eating a sandwich and the other was pawing uselessly at a cash point 🙂
    they were not in the slightest bit bothered by the constant stream of cyclists ignoring the red lights

ourmaninthenorth

I'd have given you a b-ll-cking for that "trainee solicitor" w–k.

If you were my trainee you'd be tasked with the sh—est kind of due diligence. Actually, no, I'd make you photocopy the bundles instead and paginate each document!

I think the copper did us all a favour..! 😉

fontmoss
    Free Member

Always ask for their number.

def. Gf's dad was asked to move on in no uncertain terms whilst taking part in the hugely dangerous/irresponsible act of being parked in his car and eating an ice cream. The cop was pretty taken aback when asked for his number-can only imagine he wasn't best pleased when the stinking letter came in to the station.

If someone wants to be petty then petty the **** out of them.

EDIT: that isn't my most coherent post to be fair

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Does sound like a kn0b. Did you cross-up, do any no handed stylee stuff?? Was the bunny hop 4ft high????

Obi_Twa – Member
    Complain to his boss.

Agree 😉 Did you get his shoulder number? He was a PC presumably? From local nick?

Give his Inspector a call and explain calmly. I'm sure he'll have a 'quiet word'

easygirl

as you asked……
    Section 29 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, as amended by the Road Traffic Act 1991, creates the offence of cycling on a road without due care and attention or reasonable consideration. It states:
    29 If a person rides a cycle on a road without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road, he is guilty of an offence.

if you then fail to stop when requested by a constable……..
    Section 168 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 as amended by the Road Traffic Act 1991 provides that where the driver of a mechanically propelled vehicle or the rider of a cycle is involved in an offence of dangerous, careless or inconsiderate driving or cycling, they are duty bound to give their name and address to any person having reasonable ground for requiring them. Failure to do so or to give a false name and address is an offence.

so telling him to **** off or ride off would not be the best idea, i thought a trainee solicitor would have known that 🙂

easygirl

think yourself lucky you were not on te pavement……
    On **(..SPECIFY DATE..) at **(..SPECIFY TOWNSHIP..) wilfully rode a pedal cycle upon a footpath or causeway by the side of a road, namely **(..SPECIFY ROAD AND LOCATION..), made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers

easygirl

in reality you will find most bobbies have their pet hates, one of mine is cyclists without lights, this is after seeeing a cyclist that had been killed on a country lane without lights, so the rants usually have some background behind them, so bear with him….
    then again he may have just been a noob

khani
    Free Member

1-ask is this a black thing (you don't actualy have to be black)
    2-ask him why he isn't out catching real criminals
    3-tell him he needs to go easy on the donuts
    4-shout remember Blair peach
    5-try not to bang your head on the van when your being chucked in the back

easygirl

oops forgot this one, you have to stop anyway if you are on a road….

Section 163 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, as amended by the Road Traffic Act 1991 and section 49 of the Police Reform Act 2002, allows a constable in uniform to stop a mechanically propelled vehicle being driven, or a cycle being ridden, on a road.
    163(1) A person driving a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road must stop the vehicle on being required to do so by a constable in uniform or a traffic officer.

163(2) A person riding a cycle on a road must stop the cycle on being required to do so by a constable in uniform or a traffic officer.

163(3) If a person fails to comply with this section he is guilty of an offence.

so i would say just stop have a chat, take your sermon from the officer and carry onh your way,and DONT mention you are a trainee solicitor, All police officers hate solicitors and taxi drivers 😈

easygirl

or maybe he wanted to inspect your cycle which he can do………

Regulation 11 of the Pedal Cycles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1983 provides that any constable in uniform is empowered to test and inspect a pedal cycle for the purpose of ascertaining whether any of the requirements specified in Regulation 4(b), or Regulation 7 or, as the case maybe Regulation 8, are satisfied.
    11 Any constable in uniform is empowered to test and inspect a pedal cycle for the purpose of ascertaining whether any of the requirements specified in Regulation 4(b), or Regulation 7 or, as the case maybe Regulation 8, are satisfied provided he does so either –

(a) on any premises where the cycle is if the cycle has been involved in an accident, and the test and inspection are carried out within 48 hours if the accident and the owner of the premises consents; or

(b) on a road.

easygirl

good job your lights were clean…..

On **(..SPECIFY DATE..) at **(..SPECIFY TOWNSHIP..) caused **(..SPECIFY PERSON..) to use on a road, namely **(..SPECIFY ROAD AND LOCATION..), a pedal cycle on which not every

(A)_[front position lamp]_
    (B)_[rear position lamp]_
    (C)_[rear retro reflector]_
    (D)_[pedal retro reflector]_

was clean.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘If a policeman stops me on my bike without justification…’ is closed to new replies.