Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • If 17 million people vote to leave, does it mean we will?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m no legal or political expert but I’m pretty sure a referendum result doesn’t mean we leave and its a lot more involved than that. Given that it’s about a 3rd of the actual population, how certain is it that it will actually happen?

Have we slammed the door with our keys on the wrong side or have we just opened it to take a peek through?

thegreatape
    Free Member

My understanding is that legally it’s not binding, but politically it pretty much is.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

They could negotiate with Europe.

Even Gove & Boris are asking not to throw the hat out yet but to get a better deal.

flashpaul
    Free Member

No, Boris will be PM
    There will be a renegotiation and reform
    We will then vote again and stay in the EU

This has always been Boris’s plan

seosamh77
    Free Member

I reckon there should be a general election before anything happens. That will let england and wales vote for who they want to negotiate it and it negates the need for referendums in scotland and ireland, they can campaign on the single issue.

It’s the least messy option, imo.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m almost tempted to stick a tenner on the UK not leaving the EU. I think they’ll fudge it.

imnotverygood

In the same way the referendum result was a shock, I think the future is going to be massively unpredictable. Who knows what might happen?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

As it stands now – Yes

But as i said at the start, this referendum was pointless since we dont know what the EU itself is going to look like. we have chosen not to be part of shaping that – fair enough – but it will still affect us.

Europe is entering a period of considerable uncertainty. Those who expect this to be an orderly process may well be disappointed.

samunkim
    Free Member

Will Gillian Duffy become the new Rosa Parks ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Without another refereduum or a unamimous cote from all poltical parties – ie they all stick their head on the block – then we will leave fo rits electoral suicide

I said before that what I thought woudl happen if we voted leave is we vote on the “deal” to leave.

However the option above on voting on a new deal with the EU is an interesting one

However I think the EU are a lot less keen on that option than we are.

The reality is they are not going to give us access without paying and complying and we do not want to do that

andyl
    Free Member

The EU have called for us to initiate article 50 ASAP. Not in 3 months like Dave wants. I was hoping the 3 months would give us a chance to save this mess somehow.

PJay
    Free Member

It’s not legally binding but I imagine that there’d be outrage from the Leavers if it were not acted on. There’s already a petition on the government website based on the closeness of the result (hardly comprehensive) but I don’t know whether it will achieve anything.

As a Remainer I must admit to feeling really rather scared of the future. I have heard mention of a sort of Associate Membership but Europe seems to want us out quickly (and possibly hung out to dry) to stop the rot.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Our own arrogance is breathtaking – at least the pissed of Europeans are speaking sense. Ok guys, you have made you decision. And you think we are going to hang around while your self-destruct party farts around with a leadership contest. Get real…get ready mes amis. You have to live with your decision now.

coconut
    Free Member

Commentators are still talking about the uk cutting a “good deal” with Europe on exit… Get real ! We may have started the down fall of the European Union and they still think they will “get a good deal”.. **** WITS!

GrahamS

I have heard mention of a sort of Associate Membership

Rejoining the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Free_Trade_Association ?

Pay money to Europe, accept EU regulations, accept freedom of movement, have no say in EU regulations.

It’d be pretty much everything that the Leave campaign was trying to get us out of and more – can’t see it happening really.

csb

It could have been considered as an a gauge of opinion, up to the point that the PM accepted it as the stated will of the people and committed to it happening. That, I understand, is what makes it binding.

csb

And the EU are not going to cut any deals or everyone will want one. Bit likes brand maintaining their value by refusing to discount.

mooman
    Free Member

flashpaul – Member
    No, Boris will be PM

This^^

Boris will tell us he will negotiate a better deal – he will negotiate a better deal with the EU … (which will probably not amount to much).
    He will tell us how great he is; much better than the pathetic Camoron, and better than Labour would have dared ask for.
    Boris is headlined as the saviour of the UK, and the peoples champion … we have another referendum, with Boris leading the Remain camp … he wins, we stay.

… and we have another Tory government for the foreseeable future.

Greybeard
    Free Member

The EU are asking us to implement Article 50 but until we do, it’s an internal UK matter. Parliament will have to approve the implementation, not the PM; it’s part of a Treaty. Given the number of MPs who supported Remain, with a Tory majority of 12, in a whipped vote it would only take a few rebels (say, who were planning to retire soon anyway) to cause trouble.

coconut
    Free Member

This just said by the German chancelor representitive Manfred Webber:

“Leave means leave. The times of cherry-picking are over.”

Speaking to reporters after meeting fellow party leaders in parliament, he said “nobody will be punished” for the vote and that it would be in the interests of business in Britain and the rest of the EU for swift clarity on the legal situation.

However, Britons could not expect to continue access to the EU’s single market if they wanted to maintain full control over their affairs without respecting EU rules: “If you want to have full sovereignty that means you cannot have access to the single market of the European Union,” he said.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Any PM with a set of Nads would’ve gone along the following lines……

(to the EU council) ‘Do you want the UK to stay in the EU?’

‘Yes’

‘fair enough, these are my demands otherwise wer’e off’

(he may have said this, I dunno)

robowns
    Free Member

No, Boris will be PM

Some truth in that to be fair.

stgeorge

Not a chance in hell of another vote in the forseeable future.

aracer
    Free Member

I think we just need to remind them of Pressdram vs Arkell

BigJohn

Not a chance in hell of another vote in the forseeable future.

Not a referendum, no, but Boris would call a general election to to legitimise his position.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘If 17 million people vote to leave, does it mean we will?’ is closed to new replies.