Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • IE6 to IE8 – webpage format gone askew
  • Sidney
    Free Member

Hi All.

I thought I would tap up the STW collective for some advice!

Our work have just rolled out IE8 (yippee, tabbed browsing at last) and our department site pages that used to work fine in IE6 now don’t look so great in IE8.

Although I maintain the site I’m basically not massively hot on the code etc so bare with me please.

The problem is to do with column formatting. We have rows of projects and columns of milestones. When a milestone is reached we add a tick image and link the tick to a document. Now in IE8 The column entries don’t line up with the column headings, they’re bunched up to the right hand side.

Does anyone have a clue because I don’t!

Ta

McHamish
    Free Member

Can’t really help without the code…

Green

I’m not sure how to fix the underlying problem, but if you select tools/compatibility view from the menu you should be able to view it in IE6 format. You have the option of then adding the site to a list of sites that should always open with compatibility view.

trickydisco
    Free Member

IE6 is a broken browser.

Would need to see the code but essentially IE8 prefers valid code to render pages correctly

Sidney
    Free Member

Thanks! I tried compatibility earlier but didn’t do it correctly. Tried again setting all webpages in compatibility mode and it worked. I think there is a way to set a webpage to automatically open in that mode so I’ll look at that!

Cheers.

GrahamS

Sounds like your department pages were based on the very wrong and broken IE6 interpretation of HTML layout.

Chances are that what IE8 is doing is “right” though obviously not what you want.

This might help if you are familiar with HTML/CSS:
    http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200612/internet_explorer_and_the_css_box_model/

McHamish
    Free Member

GrahamS is correct…IE8 will be interpreting the code correctly, and you need to find a way to break it.

Go to Edit and View Source, and find the section of code relating to the project milestones…cut and paste and insert it into the thread.

allthegear
    Free Member

Might be worth having a read of this MS document: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288325(v=vs.85).aspx

It explains how IE decides which “compatibility mode” to render the webpage in. You can add into your webpages a few items that will tell IE to work exactly the way you want. Better than having to go around and set everyone’s web browser by hand!!!

Rachel

Sidney
    Free Member

Thanks all. I found the Meta header that I can insert to the pages that make the users browser automatically open in compatibility mode.

It would be nice to write it properly but I’m not sure I can cope with that in the end of year rush.

Cheers once again!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘IE6 to IE8 – webpage format gone askew’ is closed to new replies.