Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Idle thoughts re current weather…
  • nickc

If most of the UK has a “settled” High pressure region over it at the minute, how come its windy?

Weather experts help please?

jam-bo

convection.

maccruiskeen

They’ve been planting turbine seeds on wind farms, and now its harvest time, so now we will reap the whirlwind.

Or something

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    warton
    Free Member

not a gust of wind in Newcastle

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not windy in Chester. There will be wind going around the edge of a high pressure and you can get a convection breeze on the coast and near mountains.

tinybits
    Free Member

Looks like a reasonable high pressure, but isobar charts are showing pressure reasonably close (in high pressure terms) lines, indicating a nice breeze.
    Add in sea breezes (given the exceptionally cold winter and spring, the water is still damn cold) due to the heat differences between land and water and you could be getting a decent blow.

nickc

I’m in Northamptonshire, not really know for its mountains or coastline, but slap bang under the high pressure region . Every article I read suggests it should be calm, but its not… Weird

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I just asked my brother, who said this:

It is quite windy isn’t it. Just looking at a weather chart the high is actually just off Norway. Wind runs clockwise around a high so it’s whipping up from the Spain direction I guess. Good kite weather I thought.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Windy in Glasgow, expected an almost wind free commute this morning, not so as I had a pretty strong headwind. Tailwind home though.

vorlich
    Free Member

Tailwind home though.

Aye. That’s what you think…

Dark-Side

sharkbait – Member
    Not windy in Chester. There will be wind going around the edge of a high pressure and you can get a convection breeze on the coast and near mountains.

POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

My neighbors would disagree, I just had to ask for my parasol back out of their back garden after it took flight!

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Flag on Sheffield city hall bearly moving :- D

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Well I don’t usually think that way as I ALWAYS have a headwind home but I can confirm that the wind is still blowing from the east.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Idle thoughts re current weather…’ is closed to new replies.