• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by tang.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Idle musings, road plus or monster cross what do you ride?
  • 1-shed
    Free Member

Contemplating my next bike and like the look of the Alpkit Camino but with road plus tyres. I have also like the Koga beach racer with 700c tyres. Next thought was custom ti (Pact?) With room for schwalbe big one 29er tyres. Turn 50 next year and fancy treating myself. Anyone done similar? Cheers 1 shed.

mattyfez

Can someone please post that .gif from scanners, you know the one, where the guys head explodes.

slimjim78
    Free Member

/\. Lolz

1-shed
    Free Member

I was being serious, I don’t know if that makes it worse?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Not quite the same but I’ve been riding with Schwalbe S-Ones (30mm) and have been super impressed. Road plus is very tempting now especially with the way the Slate has been getting great reviews (tyre durability aside). It’ll be hard to go back to anything less, my regular 23c road bike is on a distinctly shaky peg . A plus capable and big one fitting road bike would be fantastic. As for monster cross I had a pair of Schwalbe Smart Sams on for a while which were 40c, good laugh but after a while realised my 29er did the same but better.

dovebiker

Depends on where you’re planning to ride it, surely? I have a couple of CX bikes plus a 29+ and a fat bike – having something inbetween kinda appeals – monster CX with a fast-rolling 2″ tyres, rigid forks, dirt drops would be great for mixed surface rides and tours – fast enough to roll comfortably at 30kph on the road, but stable enough to take in singletracking

1-shed
    Free Member

YoKaiser agreed a road bike that fits plus and 29er big ones would be great but I think I’ll be looking at custom?

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

This is too many tyre sizes for my brain, can’t even blame the EU

1-shed
    Free Member

Dovebiker, I have a krampus and a all city macho man disc and what you describe is what I want.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

WTB have a list of bikes that plus size will fit, I’d bet by next year that list will be significantly longer.

dovebiker

Sonder Camino might be one of the few options – ti frame from the same factory used by Pact and many others. I’ve bought frames direct from this factory and they are very good. I like the fact that they haven’t taken the lazy option of fitting a suspension-corrected rigid 29er fork whick just looks odd.

tang
    Free Member

My custom crosser will take 45(1.75) in 700c. I like it on the right sort of ride, in the main it’s 35 in the winter and 40 nanno in the summer. If it’s custom I would allow for road +. It’s all fun!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Idle musings, road plus or monster cross what do you ride?’ is closed to new replies.