Viewing 26 posts - 241 through 266 (of 266 total)
  • idiots that bring nothing to the forum
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

Zokes I edited it to make it clear that I replied to njee [then they to me then me to them]

Lack of comprehension grates more than lack of grammar as that does show stupidity 😉

njee20
    Free Member

I understood your post – you knew i would when you wrote it so its somewhat weakens any point you wish to make about it being wrong.
    You communicated your ideas to me and that is the primary goal with communication

Where does that end though? Again, my specific example was incorrect forms, such as “should of”. People can use the defense that it’s fine to use ‘conversational’ language here, but my entire point (which you’ve rather missed) is that that isn’t conversational, it’s wrong. Whilst I agree it doesn’t need to be absolutely perfect written form here, if people are writing things like “should of” they’re probably doing it in other places where it perhaps does matter, job applications for example.

zokes
    Free Member

@JY

Ah, thats OK then. 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    teasel
    Free Member

Whilst I agree it doesn’t need to be absolutely perfect written form here, if people are writing things like “should of” they’re probably doing it in other places where it perhaps does matter, job applications for example.

Agreed. As others have alluded to, it’s an educational experience to be picked-up on your grammatical errors.

Junkyard
    Free Member

incorrect forms, such as “should of”

its not really incorrect as you know what it means
    May i , Can i, Pass the die or dice. You know what is meant so why get so upset. language usages changes I suggest you start to deal with it as you wont stop it.
    If i say someone is gay you dont think they are happy but you would have 50 years ago.

but my entire point (which you’ve rather missed) is that that isn’t conversational, it’s wrong

I repeat my point about you working on your comprehension
    I have addressed this as I have done so again this time.

zokes
    Free Member

Agreed. As others have alluded to, it’s an educational experience to be picked-up on your grammatical errors.

This is OK, but I think you could do with a “for” between “on” and “your”. Also not really sure that “picked-up” is the best way or wording it (and certainly not hyphenated). Perhaps “to have your grammatical errors pointed out” would work better?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Perhaps “to have your grammatical errors pointed out” would work better?

Is that a statement or a question?

😉

njee20
    Free Member

its not really incorrect as you know what it means

So the written word is correct as long as you can understand what it means?

zokes
    Free Member

Is that a statement or a question?

Both!

thegreatape
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Only read three pages of this but can someone PLEASE give Junkyard molgrips a capital L M for his Lazarus tag molgrips, it’s doing my nut.

teasel
    Free Member

This is OK, but I think you could do with a “for” between “on” and “your”. Also not really sure that “picked-up” is the best way or wording it (and certainly not hyphenated). Perhaps “to have your grammatical errors pointed out” would work better?

My point exactly.

And thanks BTW…

🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

JY – the “does it matter if you understand me” argument is interesting as this is what seems to have been taken increasingly as the rule in education for several decades. In some cases, especially the mejia, it clearly doesn’t matter indeed in the case of sports commentary it is a prerequisite for success. But in others, it does matter. In the early stages of my previous career, I was almost fired for having three typos in a (hundred) page report. Plus making an error on a CV or application form was a killer from the start. From an educational perspective, I think we do students a disservice if we ignore grammar and spelling. At the very least, it cuts off opportunities.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is almost always possible to understand what folk mean even when they use poor grammar.

Whether it is correct, in the sense I think you mean, is often irrelevant. the real issue is can I/you /we understand what they mean to convey.

When someone says to me can I have a biscuit – i dont give them a lecture on how can explains ability and may asks for permission i just answer the question

teasel
    Free Member

When someone says to me can I have a biscuit – i dont give them a lecture on how can explains ability and may asks for permission i just answer the question

But even you’d spit fire if they said Can I get a biscuit

Right ?

zokes
    Free Member

Plus making an error on a CV or application form was a killer from the start. From an educational perspective, I think we do students a disservice if we ignore grammar and spelling.

As someone who’s just gone through 39 CVs from applicants for a position requiring a PhD, and preferably a couple of years postdoctoral experience, I’m frankly appalled at some of their language skills.

I’m also tempted to write on the manuscript that I’m currently reviewing for the second time that the Germans who wrote it clearly need to find a better proof reader. (They claimed it had been thoroughly checked by one when their errors were highlighted in the last iteration).

Junkyard
    Free Member

Right ?

no As i know what they mean even though I could explain why they have expressed it poorly

Language is about communicating and it evolves, changes, develops.

Some times it is important, CV’s, job applications etc but in general just chillax [ I **** hate that word but i know what it means] dudes.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    It is almost always possible to understand what folk mean even when they use poor grammar.

True, but you do make it hard at times, JY!?!? 😉

Just read a govenment report this morning with get in the first line!!! My old English teacher would be tearing his hair out!!! Two words you should never use – nice (there is always a better alternative) and get/got – was one of his mantras What is the world coming to?!?!

teasel
    Free Member

I could explain why they have expressed it poorly

You could… 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

I may , can i 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

teasel
    Free Member

They’re not biscuits, they’re cakes.

Can I get one…?

zokes
    Free Member

Can I get one…?

Dunno, can you?

teasel
    Free Member

See, it gets weird, doesn’t it.

Where’s Emsz when you need an explanation of such things…

molgrips
    Free Member

Again, my specific example was incorrect forms, such as “should of”. People can use the defense that it’s fine to use ‘conversational’ language

Funny thing is, people are actually saying ‘should’ve’, they just don’t know how to write it down.

emsz
    Free Member

Where’s Emsz when you need an explanation of such things…

Ta da… What things? Well, when a girl and a boy love each other very much….

wwaswas

defense

American English spell checker?

Viewing 26 posts - 241 through 266 (of 266 total)

The topic ‘idiots that bring nothing to the forum’ is closed to new replies.