Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • idiots guide to Enduro
  • keng38
    Free Member

I’m new to Mountain biking and could do with someone explaining the Pmba enduro going on at Lee Quarry / Cockhill.
    As I understand there are 6 (possibly now 5) stages of which you are times from start to finish through them.
    Are the stages short downhill runs say 500m or longish trails?
    Looking at the distance between Lee Quarry and Cockhill at you allowed to drive from one stage to the next or do you have to ride there and get there “on time”?
    The arson I’m asking is that I want to watch this year with a view to getting fit enough to take part next year but I’m not ready for a 20 mile plus circuit just yet if that’s the case.
    Cannot find anything of any use online about start times, where to watch, parking etc…

jambalaya
    Free Member

The events differ quite a bit in length and style, of the stages (timed) and the transitions (sometimes with time limits sometimes more relaxed).

Can you find the results from last year, from the stage times you can guess their length. I would very much doubt you’d be required to drive between venues.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You’ve pretty much got it. Ride up hill (usually in time to meet a start time for the next stage), then race down against the clock. I’d probably expect more than 500m, most look closer to a mile depending on the size of the hill (2-3 minute tracks).

You’re not allowed assistance, so no, driving would not be allowed, let alone expected (unless it’s over several days and locations).

They held one at Swinley a few years ago, that’s not Enduro, it’s XC for the unfit.

StuE
    Free Member
    jambalaya
    Free Member

They held one at Swinley a few years ago, that’s not Enduro, it’s XC for the unfit.

😀

To be honest the first thing I consider is the length and timing/limits on the transition stages 😳

DezB
    Free Member

Some info on this rather amusing thread here 🙂

keng38
    Free Member

I’ve just seen this and now I understand.
    I just needed to see a map and some more information.
    It’s a shame it’s released last minute as I bet there are loads of locals who would come to watch.

binners

But yourself some goggles, put them on and apparently it all suddenly becomes clear

Northwind

@keng38, releasing maps late stops people practicing for weeks before (which isn’t just unfair, sometimes it rips up the stages too).

TBH it doesn’t really mean much at all, it’s a format but not really a very descriptive one- you can go from dh runs to handcut muddy death chutes to epic pedals, you often don’t know what the physical and technical level will be like beforehand.

I suppose that’s true of other disciplines, in theory a downhill race could turn out to be down a fireroad, and sometimes XC races are mentally technical and sometimes riding round fields. But enduro has the most confusion I think. I mean, you get world level racers being surprised at stage choices sometimes. It’s good too, makes it very flexible and transferable.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As Northwind says it can be hard to tell. QECP Enduro sold out in 90 mins where I believe the “DH” event last weekend still had places available to the last minute. All of it is organised on the same hill and (@scottfitz can confirm) is quite similar really.

danposs86

The PMBA Enduro is kept really relaxed, so no ‘time’ to turn up at the start of each stage. Just a time to set off at, which is usually groups of 10 every 5 mins or so. Ride with your mates to the stage, do the stage by yourself. Tell tales of why you think your time will have been off to your mates, laugh, all ride together to the next stage.

Very simple and laid back (apart from the big push on stages).

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

idiots guide to Enduro

Reporting in.

scottfitz
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

As Northwind says it can be hard to tell. QECP Enduro sold out in 90 mins where I believe the “DH” event last weekend still had places available to the last minute. All of it is organised on the same hill and (@scottfitz can confirm) is quite similar really.
    Yep same hill, even same run/stage/track.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘idiots guide to Enduro’ is closed to new replies.